Canon EOS R8 specifications

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I agree. Not only that, but with multiple readouts one should be able to improve dynamic range as well.
It depends what you are comparing with. Like in @Sporgon's example above, comparing 1 shot at 1/1000s and iso 100 with 6 shots at 1/6000s and iso 600, the DR is the same for both provided the circuitry doesn't introduce noise. But, comparing 1 shot at 1/1000s and iso 100 with 6 shots at 1/1000s and iso 100, the multiple shots give better DR.

Upvote 0
Except RP replacement, another target of R8 is video centric body. You can image a scenario. R8 has 4K60P from 6K oversampling, very powerful video performance. You can use it with a small prime lens like RF24mm and RF35mm. Install a cage kit with USB-PD power bank. And put them on DJI RS3 mini gimbal. If you need, you can setup Atomos Ninja V with HDMI line for ProRes or HEVC recording. This is a set of very lightweight single-cameraman equidment. You never worried about battery life. You just need care about overheating when you record 4K60P video because of small body design.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yes, but their EF mount lenses are rapidly being discontinued, and the new mirrorless-oriented offerings by Sigma and Tamron don't come in EF amount. My suggestion: Grab a Sigma 150-600C and a Tamron 35/1.4 DI USD while you still can.
I don't see the phased discontinuation of EF glass as a problem, because there are quite literally *millions* of used EF lenses by Canon, Sigma, Tamron etc out there. There is very little risk involved in buying used lenses, and the sheer number of lenses on the market makes it very easy to find one in absolutely mint condition for a fraction of the new price. In the very unlikely case that a used lens proves to be faulty, in most countries you are legally entitled to return to the seller and get a refund within 14/28 days of purchase (assuming that you have bought it on line). And if you buy from a retailer, over-the-counter, you'll generally get a 3 or 6 month parts and labour warranty anyway.

Having said this, I'm the first to agree that it would be highly desirable for Canon users if RF autofocus lenses were available from Sigma and Tamron. But IMO that ain't gonna happen - by the time Tamron and Sigma have understood the protocols and reverse engineered lenses, all the bases will have been covered by Canon anyway. They already have 30 native RF lenses in the range, and most likely it will hit 40 by the end of the year.

Lens NameElementsAperture
Prime Lenses
Canon RF 5.2mm f2.8L Dual Fisheye 3D12/107
Canon RF 16mm f2.89/77R
Canon 24mm f1.8 Macro IS11/99R
Canon RF 35mm f1.8 IS Macro Review11/99R
Canon RF 50mm f1.2L USM15/910R
Canon RF 50mm f1.86/57R
Canon RF 85mm f2 Macro IS12/119R
Canon RF 85mm f1.2L USM13/99R
Canon RF 85mm f1.2L USM DS13/99R
Canon RF 100mm f2.8L IS Macro17/139
Canon RF 600mm f11 IS10/7fixed
Canon RF 800mm f5.6L IS26/189R
Canon RF 800mm f11 IS11/8fixed
Canon RF 1200mm f8L IS26/189R
Zoom Lenses
Canon RF 14-35mm f4L IS16/129R
Canon RF 15-35mm f2.8L IS16/129R
Canon RF 15-30mm f4.5-6.3 IS13/117
Canon RF 24-70mm f2.8 L IS21/159R
Canon RF 24-105mm f4 L IS16/149R
Canon RF 24-105mm f4-f7.1 IS13/117R
Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS21/157R
Canon RF 28-70mm f2 L19/139R
Canon RF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS17/139R
Canon RF 70-200mm f4L IS16/119
Canon RF 100-400 f5.6-f8 IS12/99R
Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L IS20/147R
APS-C Zoom Lenses
Canon RF-S 18-45mm f4.5-6.3 IS7/77R
Canon RF-S 18-150mm f3.5-6.3 IS17/137R
EF to RF Adapters
EF to RF----
EF to RF + Control Ring----
EF to RF + Filter V ND----
EF to RF + Filter Polarizer----
Canon RF Extenders
Canon Extender RF 2x----
Canon Extender RF 1.4x----

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Maybe R8 is R10 body design with R6II Sensor. EVF is 2.36M dots if it exsits. Just hope LCD has 1.62M dots.
IMO, it's unlikely to be based on R10 body. Assuming that the rumour has some truth in it, the camera would have a completely new form factor. I'd hazard a guess that it will be a rangefinder-styled body without a "hump". It could possibly have a pop-up EVF or an M6-style accessory EVF, but most likely just a tilt-and-swivel flippy screen, and/or a top-corner EVF as found in the Sony a7c.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
A7C-style EVF almost sounds too adventurous for Canon, but who knows. My money is on an accessory EVF.
Maybe even literally.
Yeah, Canon probably made a fortune out of selling the ridiculously overpriced accessory EVF for the M6 (OK it was cheaper as part of the kit), so they might decide to repeat the trick... I do often wonder though, about how many of those accessory EVFs got lost or just ended up unused in the back of a cupboard.

I'll actually be a lot more interested in what the R50 turns out like. Presumably it will be based on the M50 but with improvements to AF, sensor etc, in which case it could be a massive seller - particularly in Asia, where the M series has always been huge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
Yeah, Canon probably made a fortune out of selling the ridiculously overpriced accessory EVF for the M6 (OK it was cheaper as part of the kit), so they might decide to repeat the trick...

I'll actually be a lot more interested in what the R50 turns out like. Presumably it will be based on the M50 but with improvements to AF, sensor etc, in which case it could be a massive seller - particularly in Asia, where the M series has always been huge.
You and me both. R50 sounds like it might be a decent option for travel if I pack the STM primes.
Earlier rumors made it sound like the R50 would not have an EVF either, or has that info been revised?

I am really hoping for an RF-S22. Otherwise I might consider the RF16 to have it double as a FF ultrawide and a 24-ish equivalent on the crop.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
You and me both. R50 sounds like it might be a decent option for travel if I pack the STM primes.
Earlier rumors made it sound like the R50 would not have an EVF either, or has that info been revised?
It's possible that the R50 might be a vlogging camera, in which case it probably won't have an EVF. But given the "R50" name, it seems more logical that it would be an M50-style camera, in which case it will have a built-in EVF. Always fun to speculate. We'll know the answer soon :)

Upvote 0
No ibis? LOLOL that cant be right.. it just cant be.

So Canon (marketing!) has decided to make Ibis a premium feature ..... because its a 'cheap full frame?

That would amount to clown show behavior from Canon.+ That means it's pretty much guaranteed the r50 won't have ibis either.

Along with any chance that I'll be buying it.

See you guys next spring when they announce a decent prime for RFS. Mount is still brand new and it is a absolute joke, with an utterly embarrassing lens selection. Pathetic.
Last year, Canon sold 2.86 million interchangeable-lens cameras, so they must be doing something right.

Upvote 0
The 5DIV is a solid workhorse for my needs and is still producing images I'm very happy with. The only thing I really want to improve upon against the 5DIV is resolution, and I'm content to wait and see if Canon releases something with more resolution than the R5 with an R mount. Eventually I'll get impatient and maybe end up buying an R5 or an R5 II, but since I'm not exactly in a rush or being really heavily limited at the moment, I don't see an urgent need to make the move.
I have migrated from 7D/5Diii/5Div and now to R5 (pre-order). In each case, I hit the limits for some aspect of them but I haven't with the R5 after 2.5 years and have confidence that it will be good for some time to come.
Some minor things do annoy me still (fixed eshutter fps, banding in eshutter, rate button not remappable etc). The only real downside is battery life but I can still easily do 2k+ shots during indoor sports. The 70-200/2.8 can't handle 1.4x/2x TCs meant that I got the 100-500mm but haven't looked back once paid for. A new macBook Pro was needed anyway as my older 7 year old one couldn't handle the larger files.

My main key advantages of the R5 over 5Div:
Eye-AF (game changer!)
Corner-to-corner AF coverage
12-14fps mech/20fps shutter (used outdoors)
Smaller/lighter but still fits my large hands
Mechanical shutter of 500k
The R mount especially with lighter/smaller 70-200/2.8 and 100-500mm
45mp given I crop heavily sometimes
4k/30 oversampled and 4k/120 occasionally.
3 control wheels and flippy screen

The 5Div is heavier and you would think that it is more solid/hard wearing but my R5 hasn't a mark on it so far and my usage if probably more than the 5Div. YMMV of course but I wouldn't ever consider going back now.

Upvote 0
Canon’s mid to high end gear is still made in Japan. Nikon’s is Thailand and China. There will be a cost to this Japanese manufacture, probably significant; how much are you or others prepared to pay for this ? The answer will vary enormously I guess, depending on who you ask.
Personally I’m pleased that Canon manufactures its mid to high end gear in Japan and I’m prepared to pay a reasonable premium towards this, as long as the gear suits my needs and is competitive with what others may offer cheaper.
The evolution of quality manufacturing countries is fascinating to me. Post-war Germany then post-war Japan, then South Korea (chips/TVs/Hyundai/Kia etc) and Taiwan for chips. China are moving up from the low cost items but will be somewhat constrained by strategic limitations of technology transfers. Their massive middle class is self supporting though.

Overseas investment and low labour rates bring in the technology transfer + quality system and eventually countries become manufacturing powerhouses in their own right.

I remember when stuff manufactured in Japan was Jap Cr@p and then they became the leader in JIT/quality in the 90s.

Upvote 0
The point of my original post was straightforward - I was stating that I believe it will become possible within a few years (based on what has been published by dpr, fstoppers etc) for small format cameras such as M43 to use similar technology to that found in smartphones, to merge a burst of images in order to reduce noise.

What I stated, precisely was" if a camera could shoot half a dozen frames at 100fps there would be virtually no subject or camera movement between shots, and this is where in-camera merging will become a major feature for eliminating noise, merging focus-brackets, and hand-held pixel-shift high resolution".

I made no mention in that post of the individual or total exposure times, but you singled out one possible method of merging, that *won't* reduce noise, but ignored another possible method that *will* reduce noise.

You appear to believe (incorrectly) that I was talking *specifically* about the first method described by neuro i.e. "Merging ten exposures of 1/10 s into a single exposure of 1 s will not yield lower noise than a single 1 s exposure". That method clearly won't reduce noise!

The maths in my quickly written follow-up post was dodgy, but my original point remains. It *is* possible to reduce noise by merging a burst of images.

@neuroanatomist pointed out the method that would need to be used is that in his second example, i.e. "Merging ten exposures of 1 s into a single exposure of 1 s will yield less noise than a single exposure of 1 s. Mathematically, that’s averaging image data and random image noise will be reduced."
Beside the point of this discussion, why do you believe smaller sensor formats will benefit more/first from this? As it's computing, surely it's file size (ie resolution) that matters to the speed, not the physical sensor size?

Upvote 0
Beside the point of this discussion, why do you believe smaller sensor formats will benefit more/first from this? As it's computing, surely it's file size (ie resolution) that matters to the speed, not the physical sensor size?
Is @entoman referring to the "computational photography" abilities of phones? They have ample internal computing power (or offload to the cloud computing) where multiple shots can be taken quickly and merged for a "better" photo. Their ability for HDR shots that look reasonable for social media is impressive and ability to publish is unmatched. The main limitation is lenses and having 3 or 4 primes has helped but telephoto is still their achilles heel. I would not be surprised that vast improvements in this area come soon.

In terms of storage, who is actively deleting photo/video from their phones? It seems to me that either people pay for cloud storage or just get more space in every new version.

AI will be the future for a lot of photo consumers rather than content generators like most of us on the forum.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Overall interesting specs, although no-IBIS will turn off many here.
Bus as some said, some sound too good to be true.

Thanks for that comparison.
This makes me hope for a really small travel body.
In that case I'd swallow the no-IBIS, what could have been expected.
i won’t buy a mirrorless camera Canon or otherwise without IBIS. it should be a standard feature in these types of cameras.

• Haha
Upvote 0
i won’t buy a mirrorless camera Canon or otherwise without IBIS. it should be a standard feature in these types of cameras.
If I could get a R5 spec camera in a RP size but had to give up IBIS, dual cards and LP-E6 battery yet still pay full R5 price, I would do it in a second. Canon isn’t making cameras for either of us specifically but to cover the needs of the most customers.

Upvote 0

davidespinosa

CR Pro
Feb 12, 2020
What is the point of all these 5% different budget cameras? Just bring out the R1 already.
Good point about the APS-C line.
But the FF pricing almost makes sense !

CameraPrice (US $)Increase (%)
RP1000
R8150050
R6 Mk ii250067
R5350040
R3560060
R1 (projected -- 50% more than R3)840050

Upvote 0