Canon EOS R8 specifications

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Maybe Ill just go backed to a Canon cropped sensor like R10. I do not like how Canon cripples the mirrorless bodies. The only one I really like is the R5 but out of my price range. Don’t want a video centric body like R6 or R6 II. i have a 5DIV. 30MP from 7 years ago and Canon cannot move beyond a 24mp sensor in lower bodies when others do. Its just too bad plus their pricing is higher than the other two highest brands.
As an R6 owner, I don't think of that camera at all as video-centric. I think it's much more oriented toward stills. Do you need more than the 24 MP the R6 Mk II offers? Most folks don't...they just feel better about having more MP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
However, I think Canon's decision to shut down 3rd party lenses is unwise.

BTW, the recently announced Sigma 60-600 lens isn't available in Nikon-Z mount either.

NikonRumors claims "I was told that Nikon will officially license third-party autofocus lenses for Z-mount only if they complement Nikon’s current lens lineup, rather than compete with the existing Nikkor Z lenses."

So Nikon should also be condemned. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Unless you shoot sports or other fast moving subjects, the autofocus was already pretty great 15 years ago. It annoys me very much that a feature I do not really need is the reason for ALL Canon cameras to switch to mirrorless. Video is another one of those features. Videos are more a TikTok thing for me but for that I would rather buy an Insta360. I know that Canon will not make a camera especially for me, but I wish they would at least make a camera for the people who do not need video, autofocus and all that stuff and would rather have a new DSLR, but with the sensor of the R3. I know that Canon does market research, but I wonder if the number of DSLR lovers is really that small. My theory is that Canon will not build a new DSLR just because they know that DSLR fans will then have to buy a mirrorless camera anyway.
This debate has been wrung out many times. The technology to make camera sensors read faster and provide live view has evolved over time to the point where there really isn't a difference between video and stills hardware anymore (simplified for the sake of illustration). Imagine the tech heads figuring this out, and then panning Canon for 'crippling' the camera that already has video capability by not giving it to us! They don't build video bodies or still bodies in the sense that there is tons of superfluous hardware in them to enable video. Those two types things have evolved in to the same thing.

Focus improvements are about more than speed as well. The AF sensors of the DSLRs evolved to the point where they were just capable of primitive (by comparison) tracking (see 1DXIII). But would never fully overcome the offset between their calibration and the image reaching the sensor (AFMA, anyone?). Great AF at very wide apertures was not likely to be an option, nor full subject tracking as the amount of light needed for this, and the resolution required of the AF sensor would trend towards that of the image sensor itself. And great AF at narrow apertures was similarly not going to be possible. Even at 1FPS, nailing eyes at 1.2 and focusing on anything at F/22 with high keeper rates was likely never going to happen in the DSLR world.

DSLRs were and are great, but Father Technology has surpassed them. Its not a conspiracy. Its just technology. A new level of performance is being achieved and that is driving the market. Sony actually saw this coming and got in front of it. So blame them. Canon was late to the game.

-Brian

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
As an R6 owner, I don't think of that camera at all as video-centric. I think it's much more oriented toward stills. Do you need more than the 24 MP the R6 Mk II offers? Most folks don't...they just feel better about having more MP.
R6 is stills oriented, you are correct....it's a great camera body.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2019
Unless you shoot sports or other fast moving subjects, the autofocus was already pretty great 15 years ago. It annoys me very much that a feature I do not really need is the reason for ALL Canon cameras to switch to mirrorless. Video is another one of those features. Videos are more a TikTok thing for me but for that I would rather buy an Insta360. I know that Canon will not make a camera especially for me, but I wish they would at least make a camera for the people who do not need video, autofocus and all that stuff and would rather have a new DSLR, but with the sensor of the R3. I know that Canon does market research, but I wonder if the number of DSLR lovers is really that small. My theory is that Canon will not build a new DSLR just because they know that DSLR fans will then have to buy a mirrorless camera anyway.
Time to switch to Pentax then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They are the only company which makes new DSLR. Joking aside, based on your requirement, you should be happy with any existing DSLR, why do you need new camera?

Upvote 0
What has prevented you from replacing it at this point? We have an R5, R6, and R6 II.
The 5DIV is a solid workhorse for my needs and is still producing images I'm very happy with. The only thing I really want to improve upon against the 5DIV is resolution, and I'm content to wait and see if Canon releases something with more resolution than the R5 with an R mount. Eventually I'll get impatient and maybe end up buying an R5 or an R5 II, but since I'm not exactly in a rush or being really heavily limited at the moment, I don't see an urgent need to make the move.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Maybe Ill just go backed to a Canon cropped sensor like R10. I do not like how Canon cripples the mirrorless bodies. The only one I really like is the R5 but out of my price range. Don’t want a video centric body like R6 or R6 II. i have a 5DIV. 30MP from 7 years ago and Canon cannot move beyond a 24mp sensor in lower bodies when others do. Its just too bad plus their pricing is higher than the other two highest brands.
If you're willing to "go back to a cropped sensor", why are you criticising Canon for being unwilling to "go beyond a 24MP sensor in lower bodies".

Consider the R7 - its 33MP sensor is excellent, and has higher pixel density than the R5 - which you say you want but can't afford. The R7 appears to be within your price bracket, is superbly specified, it's not videocentric, and it's amazing value for money.

You accuse Canon of "crippling" bodies, but they are simply offering significantly different specifications at different prices, enabling people to clearly identify which model is most suitable for them and within their price bracket. Yes, Canon prices are higher than nearest-equivalent Sony or Nikon models in many cases, but you'll probably loose a lot more money overall, if you decided to switch systems and buy new Nikon or Sony lenses, flashes etc.

And if you have been using a Canon DSLR for several years, you'll find it much easier to switch to a Canon MILC, than to another brand, which will have different ergonomics, colour rendering and other characteristics.

But of course, it's your choice, and if you find Nikon or Sony cameras more appealing, go ahead (and don't forget Panasonic or OM Systems either, who also make great cameras).

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
This debate has been wrung out many times. The technology to make camera sensors read faster and provide live view has evolved over time to the point where there really isn't a difference between video and stills hardware anymore (simplified for the sake of illustration). Imagine the tech heads figuring this out, and then panning Canon for 'crippling' the camera that already has video capability by not giving it to us! They don't build video bodies or still bodies in the sense that there is tons of superfluous hardware in them to enable video. Those two types things have evolved in to the same thing.
The problem is that the hardware that enables the video uses the sensor the whole time when the camera is turned on. That will warm up the sensor and a warmer sensor will show more noise. That might not be visible at low ISO, but it should be visible at high ISO. Noise will get worse after the camera was turned on for a while. Of course modern sensors have quite low noise, but it could be even lower of the sensor was not powered the whole time, but instead only the fraction of a second when a photo is taken.

Time to switch to Pentax then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: They are the only company which makes new DSLR. Joking aside, based on your requirement, you should be happy with any existing DSLR, why do you need new camera?
Low noise is very important for me, as I often take night shots and often can't use a tripod. My camera already is ten years old and back then noise was still very bad, when you wanted to brighten up the shadows a few stops even at ISO 100. A DSLR with the R3 sensor would be perfect.

Upvote 0
I, for one, like the rumored specs & price. It will replace my RP for the use cases I have for that (mostly travel and packing light), and it will replace the R for the video use I have. I used the R as a second body for the R5 for stills as well and for that the R8 can also be a good option. The resolution is lower, which is a bit annoying for this use case, but 24MP is plenty most of the time. It is just that 30MP was almost close enough to the 45MP that you wouldn't notice the difference, but 24MP vs 45MP will be a bit of a larger jump. Still, I think it will be a great option for the lineup.

Still, it leaves open the sub-$1K FF camera that has been rumored.

Upvote 0
Doesn't seem like a very reliable rumor. Just a guess. My guesses with probabilities even :) 100% single card slot, 65% old sensor from R, and 25% IBIS. Canon likes re-using old sensors in less expensive gear, the R sensor is a pretty good older sensor. Also the target market for a less expensive camera likes megapixels and won't be evaluating other factors as heavily like readout speed, rolling shutter, even high ISO.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The problem is that the hardware that enables the video uses the sensor the whole time when the camera is turned on. That will warm up the sensor and a warmer sensor will show more noise. That might not be visible at low ISO, but it should be visible at high ISO. Noise will get worse after the camera was turned on for a while. Of course modern sensors have quite low noise, but it could be even lower of the sensor was not powered the whole time, but instead only the fraction of a second when a photo is taken.

Low noise is very important for me, as I often take night shots and often can't use a tripod. My camera already is ten years old and back then noise was still very bad, when you wanted to brighten up the shadows a few stops even at ISO 100. A DSLR with the R3 sensor would be perfect.
With MILCS, the sensor is live and warm all the time the camera is turned on, but that applies to stills as well as video, so the argument against video inclusion is void. If the camera is sleeping between shots, presumably the sensor (as well as the EVF) is also sleeping. In any case, ambient warmth from sunlight will probably put plenty of temperature load on the camera - I always get noisier iamges when using my camera in tropical environments than at home in cold wet windy England!

Do you use denoising software? If you don't already, I'd very strongly recommend that you try Topaz DeNoise AI, or DXO DeepPrime. I guarantee you'll be utterly amazed at the way these programs (which can be used standalone or as plug-ins to Lightroom etc) completely eliminate noise, yet retain or even enhance even the finest details and textures. Try them, you won't regret it.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Doesn't seem like a very reliable rumor. Just a guess. My guesses with probabilities even :) 100% single card slot, 65% old sensor from R, and 25% IBIS. Canon likes re-using old sensors in less expensive gear, the R sensor is a pretty good older sensor. Also the target market for a less expensive camera likes megapixels and won't be evaluating other factors as heavily like readout speed, rolling shutter, even high ISO.
I'd agree with most of that, except the last sentence. The target market for budget models is primarily novices, and it's true that things like readout speed, rolling shutter and high ISO will mean little to them. But I think the obsession with ever-increasing megapixel counts is largely confined to the enthusiast sector. Novices probably pay little attention to MP - they've been buying 24MP cameras for years, and will continue to do so. They'll be more likely to focus their attention on styling, and on the starting price of body plus kit lens.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
If you're willing to "go back to a cropped sensor", why are you criticising Canon for being unwilling to "go beyond a 24MP sensor in lower bodies".

Consider the R7 - its 33MP sensor is excellent, and has higher pixel density than the R5 - which you say you want but can't afford. The R7 appears to be within your price bracket, is superbly specified, it's not videocentric, and it's amazing value for money.

You accuse Canon of "crippling" bodies, but they are simply offering significantly different specifications at different prices, enabling people to clearly identify which model is most suitable for them and within their price bracket. Yes, Canon prices are higher than nearest-equivalent Sony or Nikon models in many cases, but you'll probably loose a lot more money overall, if you decided to switch systems and buy new Nikon or Sony lenses, flashes etc.

And if you have been using a Canon DSLR for several years, you'll find it much easier to switch to a Canon MILC, than to another brand, which will have different ergonomics, colour rendering and other characteristics.

But of course, it's your choice, and if you find Nikon or Sony cameras more appealing, go ahead (and don't forget Panasonic or OM Systems either, who also make great cameras).
Canon is a huge company, right? can snyone tell me how Nikon can put IBIS in a alloy body (canon a composite) and also give in a 3.69 EVF and sell it like $1299? but Canon apparently doesn’t want to do that. they rather just marginalize the entry level stuff. if one wants more upgraded spec you need to spend like $2400 for R6II ot $3600 for an R5. I think its greed. one can get a Nikon Z7II for under 3K. whats wrong with this picture ? I have really enjoyed Canon gear for 20 years. Their mirrorless range of cameras do not appeal to me because of the pricing structure and cripple hammer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You accuse Canon of "crippling" bodies, but they are simply offering significantly different specifications at different prices, enabling people to clearly identify which model is most suitable for them and within their price bracket.
Yes, product differentiation is a standard business practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
...I wish they would at least make a camera for the people who do not need video, autofocus and all that stuff and would rather have a new DSLR, but with the sensor of the R3. I know that Canon does market research, but I wonder if the number of DSLR lovers is really that small. My theory is that Canon will not build a new DSLR just because they know that DSLR fans will then have to buy a mirrorless camera anyway.

3-4 years ago, I would have completely agreed and would have been on board with a new DSLR, but now it is clear where the direction of tech is headed. The way I see it, though...IQ difference between the last generation of DSLRs and today's MILCs is really not big anyway...progress here has slowed and thus I believe that those of us with 5D4s, etc. can continue to use them for years to come - they still take great images by modern standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon is a huge company, right? can snyone tell me how Nikon can put IBIS in a alloy body (canon a composite) and also give in a 3.69 EVF and sell it like $1299? but Canon apparently doesn’t want to do that. they rather just marginalize the entry level stuff. if one wants more upgraded spec you need to spend like $2400 for R6II ot $3600 for an R5. I think its greed. one can get a Nikon Z7II for under 3K. whats wrong with this picture ? I have really enjoyed Canon gear for 20 years. Their mirrorless range of cameras do not appeal to me because of the pricing structure and cripple hammer.
But how did they become a huge company? Because they make great products and sell them at a price that people are (just) willing to pay. I don't think anyone would debate that Canons are on the expensive side, but enough people are willing to pay that price to make Canon the best selling brand for more years than I'd care to count.

Meanwhile Nikon continues to produce excellent competitive cameras and lenses, but relies on minimised profit margins to survive. Both companies exist for the same reason - to pay the salaries of their employees, and to fill the pockets of their directors and shareholders. I'm not predicting the demise of Nikon, I'm sure they'll continue for many years, but which is the healthier company? Which is the company that makes its shareholders happiest? Which is the company that keeps the largest number of people employed and feeding their families?

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Agreed. Worst-case, we can always use their EF glass.
Yes, but their EF mount lenses are rapidly being discontinued, and the new mirrorless-oriented offerings by Sigma and Tamron don't come in EF amount. My suggestion: Grab a Sigma 150-600C and a Tamron 35/1.4 DI USD while you still can.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
IQ difference between the last generation of DSLRs and today's MILCs is really not big anyway...progress here has slowed and thus I believe that those of us with 5D4s, etc. can continue to use them for years to come - they still take great images by modern standards.
Yes, it would be nice to see greater IQ improvement, but I don't think we'll really see that happening until manufacturers make greater use of in-camera AI, and that's an area where APS-C and M43 will have an advantage over FF due to greater potential for faster readouts, burst speeds and better stabilisation, which together with AI enable very rapid capture and in-camera merging of multiple frames.

As for DSLRs, I still own and love a 5DMkiv, but since getting my R5 a couple of years ago, which offers massive advantages over the 5DMkiv, the latter has been largely confined to a cupboard. It just feels archaic compared to the R5. It took me a few weeks to get used to the EVF experience, but no way would I revert to a DSLR now. I really never thought I'd hear myself utter those words. But in terms of image quality, dependability and ergonomics, the 5DMkiv remains a great camera...

Upvote 0