Canon EOS R1 prototypes are in the wild [CR3]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'm admittedly biased towards Olympus and now OM Systems, as it was the original OM-1 that was my first camera which I used from 1979 to the mid 90's, when I bought my first Canon rebel. Bought my first digital Olympus in 2014 and especially after buying the E-M1 mark II in late 2016, kept waiting and hoping for Canon (or really any brand making FF cameras) to make a camera that I felt was as good and versatile. Took a few years for other brands to get focus bracketing and in-camera focus stacking, which I use often. Still waiting for Canon to add in-camera AF limiter functionality. I don't know if anyone else has that, and that, to me, is a game changer for Bird photography, especially Birds in Flight. It really annoys me that the internet has so much anti-Micro Four Thirds bias. The OM-1 and the Olympus digital cameras I have owned prior, have all been my most used cameras, despite owning both FF and APS-C cameras from Canon and for a brief time, from Nikon as well. ( Also owned - very briefly - the A7 and A7 II from Sony, but they barely count as being cameras!). I hope OM Systems can survive.
Unfortunately, MFT cameras (I own an Olympus), are not for me. They are just too small, sadly, like most FF cameras.
Size matters! Not everybody has baby-hands...
Otherwise, the MFT OM 1 and its lenses are absolutely great products, in technology and optically.
I too owned a Sony A7, and hated it (ergonomy, size, mirror "clonk" and menus). I also never could get used to my OM 1 (film!), it having all three controls in line, focus, shutter speed and diaphragm. I quickly replaced it with a Leicaflex SL which made me really happy.I still own it.
The moral of the story: different photographers, different preferences...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I find that people overdo depth of field these days.
I'm often guilty of overdoing it, and even so, sometimes I'd like to take it even further! For me, it's something that is nearly impossible to achieve in painting (without a photographic reference). Possibly, after software calculated depth of field becomes common, it'll lose it's appeal with me and others over doing it now, but will bet money a much greater number of people will be enjoying overdoing it on their cell phones...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Interesting that 'Quad Pixel AF is not ready and will not be featured'. Canon typically has not introduced radically new features in 1 series bodies, preferring to release the debut versions in other models - recent eg eye control AF in the R3, from which an apparently improved version will end up in the R1. So maybe QPAF in the the R5 II?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Interesting that 'Quad Pixel AF is not ready and will not be featured'. Canon typically has not introduced radically new features in 1 series bodies, preferring to release the debut versions in other models - recent eg eye control AF in the R3, from which an apparently improved version will end up in the R1. So maybe QPAF in the the R5 II?
Stacked sensor is enough of a jump already, makes subject recognition easier during camera movements.
And let's be honest, who cares these days. Even an R6 II has rock-solid AF that is much more advanced than old flagships, more than enough for most situations - and that's just on its own, before playing with all the settings...
It has a new mode where you can focus with the aperture set on a lens like in video mode (avoids focus shift for macro for instance).
I was amazed that with the 28-70/2 it was able to track in dim conditions - with the lens set to f/22...

Although if Canon wants to get really aggressive, they can make an R6 III a lower resolution R5 II again and use a 24MP stacked sensor, that would put tremendous pressure on the competition.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
QPAF in the R5 Mk2 would very interesting indeed! FYI I would be content with stacked 45 MP sensor, R3 focusing, and pre-capture in RAW.

Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
The only important thing now is THE PRICE.
Will Canon finally learn and make this a reasonable priced camera or will they go insane again with 8000 or even more…
Considering the 1ds Mkiii from 2007 retailed at $10, 400 (inflation adjusted) I don't think you are going to get very far with you wish. The cost of pro bodies represent such a tiny fraction of a pro photographers business expenses the price isn't really that important.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
The people I know using micro four thirds are happy. I'm not well versed in the bias against the mount / sensor size. is it related to the limitations regarding noise and depth of field?
It is related to those characteristics, but it is more the tone and the pervasiveness of the criticism. With every new lens announcement, the 4/3 forums are filled with negative "equivalence" comments. Every positive comment from someone who is interested in a lens is immediately countered with a negative. "but you realize that f2.8 on MFT is really..." type comment, as if the people wanting the lens are obviously stupid, and the clear insinuation that the FF user who is commenting back is obviously smarter. On the OM-1 Facebook page it is not unusual for people to make comments like, "I told my friend I was interested in the OM-1 and they told me I could not use it in low light" or similar type comments. It's not that dissimilar to comments here about the RF 100-500 from folks who trash the lens because it is f7.1 on the long end. "You can't use it on a cloudy day," or "It's useless since I can't get subject separation." Of course, people who actually use the lens, and people who use MFT, know how ridiculous those comments are, but they persist because stupid people dictate the conversation here in the internet age.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
It is related to those characteristics, but it is more the tone and the pervasiveness of the criticism. With every new lens announcement, the 4/3 forums are filled with negative "equivalence" comments. Every positive comment from someone who is interested in a lens is immediately countered with a negative. "but you realize that f2.8 on MFT is really..." type comment, as if the people wanting the lens are obviously stupid, and the clear insinuation that the FF user who is commenting back is obviously smarter. On the OM-1 Facebook page it is not unusual for people to make comments like, "I told my friend I was interested in the OM-1 and they told me I could not use it in low light" or similar type comments. It's not that dissimilar to comments here about the RF 100-500 from folks who trash the lens because it is f7.1 on the long end. "You can't use it on a cloudy day," or "It's useless since I can't get subject separation." Of course, people who actually use the lens, and people who use MFT, know how ridiculous those comments are, but they persist because stupid people dictate the conversation here in the internet age.
Most people I talked to that have a micro 4/3 care about the weight and monetary savings as their priority. It's fine with me as long as they aren't arguing unnecessary criticisms against something else. Ideally, it would be good to gave a camera with each size sensor, but I don't think many people want to spend that much money to have a good kit for each.

I've noticed there is a lot unnecessary criticism on photography related facebook groups. When I look at the profiles of positive people, they usually have nice photos even if it isn't always to my taste, but when I look at negative people, they tend to not share any photos with the group (I see this trend here on Canon Rumors, too), or if the do share, either only have photos of their lenses or photos which exhibit some of the same things they criticize. I admit that's what I've usually seen and not always the case nor does my limited experience mean everyone will notice things the same way.
In posts on those facebook groups asking questions, there will be people who either troll or criticize perfectly acceptable answers. So, I just kinda lerk there to get an idea of what's going on with other companies than Canon and the opportunity to see random people's photos.
Maybe facebook's just a nexus for toxic people unless your friends?

Upvote 0
Canon is about to surprise everyone who has not been included as a CE or advisor.. To those who say they are happy with 24MP... The R1 can still be for you.... Just dial it down. When you want greater resolution it wiil be there.

We have been early adopters of every Canon 1DX, 1DXMKII, 1DXMKIII, R3, Canon is not leaving enough time before the Olympics for those who want full crews with new bodies and glass to take full workflow into consideration. Our automation and multi-teathered cameras on robotic arms need a lot of tweaking and I know the bugs will need additional time.... Since many of us commited to automation the the LAN/WAN/SAN formulation is still not worked out for our trucks and BO&E. The R1 might be better for those not commited to the massive layers of adopting for the newer robotic systems and wating until after the Olympics.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Most people I talked to that have a micro 4/3 care about the weight and monetary savings as their priority. It's fine with me as long as they aren't arguing unnecessary criticisms against something else. Ideally, it would be good to gave a camera with each size sensor, but I don't think many people want to spend that much money to have a good kit for each.

I've noticed there is a lot unnecessary criticism on photography related facebook groups. When I look at the profiles of positive people, they usually have nice photos even if it isn't always to my taste, but when I look at negative people, they tend to not share any photos with the group (I see this trend here on Canon Rumors, too), or if the do share, either only have photos of their lenses or photos which exhibit some of the same things they criticize. I admit that's what I've usually seen and not always the case nor does my limited experience mean everyone will notice things the same way.
In posts on those facebook groups asking questions, there will be people who either troll or criticize perfectly acceptable answers. So, I just kinda lerk there to get an idea of what's going on with other companies than Canon and the opportunity to see random people's photos.
Maybe facebook's just a nexus for toxic people unless your friends?
Facebook? What is this?
No idea...;)

• Haha
Upvote 0