5D Mk 3 and 1D Mk IV raw images

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2013
Viggo said:
More depth is because of a smaller sensor, more pop might be because of a
Weaker AA filter...

no , usually bigger sensors produces better look (or more pop), not the other way around here.
I think the main reason why the 1D series has better noise quality (not lesser amount of noise but less patterned noise) is that the 1D bodies have better electronics surroundings around the sensor.
just like the Nikon D800E has a bit better read out electronics than that of the D600 or the D800, or the Sony A99v has better electronics than the D600.
in short , what you get what you pay for in electronics quality in any system.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2013
Cannon Man said:
Because the 5D series is a stripped down version of the 1D series...

Of course the images from 1D IV are better.

I used the 1D IV for 3 years and switched to 1DX 4 months ago and everything about the images are 5 times better than fron the mark IV in my opinion.

1D series rules.

it is true but for me the 1DX is just too big , I hope Canon makes the EOS3 type of body but with the same quality electronics as in the 1DX.
I do not really need 12f/s or the tough build of the 1DX but I want the high ISO and electronics quality of it in the 5D sized body.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have had most of the 1 Series cameras including the 1D MK IV. They are all nice. I've also owned all three 5 Series cameras. They produce good IQ as well.
I don't believe there is any significant difference in images at base IQ, except what the raw converter produces. At high ISO, FF bodies of the same generation have lower noise.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
danski0224 said:
I am noticing a difference between the raw images from those two cameras using the same lens.

The 1D IV images seem to have more pop and depth, for lack of a better description.

Anything other then guessing would require a better description or, better yet, sample files. But since the 5D3 has higher IQ then the 1D4 across the board, some good guesses include:

* You're viewing images at the same image viewer magnification (i.e. 50%) without realizing this actually magnifies the 5D3 image much more.

* Different in camera settings.

* Different RAW converter setting defaults or profiles.

And if you're not talking about a test pair produced under exact conditions (same subject, lighting, lens, exposure, etc) then anything and everything is in play including lenses, exposures, focusing, selected apertures and/or shutter speeds (beyond the obvious exposure differences), subject, lighting, etc, etc.

Upvote 0
C

Cannon Man

alexanderferdinand said:
I have these 2 bodies.
Speaking for RAW:
1D4: easier to handle, better to push if necessary.
5d3: more work, can show better results.
Speaking for jpeg (I always run them parallel):
1d4 much better in everything, especially AWB and brightness.

1Dx is 5 times better?
Wow.

What i mean by 1DX being 5 times better is that it is the first camera i have been in absolute awe about the image quality and i had no idea that my lenses could produce such sharpness and comor and contrast.. I used to convert many of my 1D IV images to black/white but now with the 1DX i almost always have them in color because the colors are so amazing. and i could not go back to 1D IV anymore. That to me makes it that much better. If i was perfectly honest mathematically i would say it is 2.1 times better :)

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
dtaylor said:
Anything other then guessing would require a better description or, better yet, sample files. But since the 5D3 has higher IQ then the 1D4 across the board, some good guesses include:

* You're viewing images at the same image viewer magnification (i.e. 50%) without realizing this actually magnifies the 5D3 image much more.

* Different in camera settings.

* Different RAW converter setting defaults or profiles.

And if you're not talking about a test pair produced under exact conditions (same subject, lighting, lens, exposure, etc) then anything and everything is in play including lenses, exposures, focusing, selected apertures and/or shutter speeds (beyond the obvious exposure differences), subject, lighting, etc, etc.

Yes, I understand that a lot of it is subjective.

Even if I set the 1D IV images and 5D III images to "neutral", the 1D IV images have something special/different.

I use Canon DPP to view, straight out of the camera. It is set to "fit to window", so the 1D IV images are the ones being magnified.

I may try to do a somewhat controlled side by side test, but the best I can do is swap lenses between bodies and try to get the same image in the viewfinder and have the same settings on both cameras.

I can compare it to listening to different audio amplifiers. The specs may be the same, but they sound different.

I'm afraid to rent a 1DX because I may like it, even though 90% of the capabilities would be lost to me at first. And, I actually prefer the 1D form factor.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
duydaniel said:
I am curious if you can post the raw files from the 2 cameras with the same setting, preferably same lens?

Well, I don't have any images taken at the same time to make a meaningful unbiased comparison.

Nor do I have the capability to upload full scale raw images. I certainly can't host that.

I'll see about taking both bodies and one lens and getting a couple of same settings images.

Upvote 0
Because I didn't hear any difference in IQ from the presentation about the 5D3 and 1DX beside speed

http://youtu.be/SfiAhAL7QE0

danski0224 said:
duydaniel said:
I am curious if you can post the raw files from the 2 cameras with the same setting, preferably same lens?

Well, I don't have any images taken at the same time to make a meaningful unbiased comparison.

Nor do I have the capability to upload full scale raw images. I certainly can't host that.

I'll see about taking both bodies and one lens and getting a couple of same settings images.

Upvote 0
C

Cannon Man

duydaniel said:
Because I didn't hear any difference in IQ from the presentation about the 5D3 and 1DX beside speed

danski0224 said:
duydaniel said:

It's pretty obvious that there is an IQ difference on 3000$ camera compared to their flagship 6000$ camera.. Think how much more the 1DX has prosessing power.

5D III is a stripped down version from te 1DX including the sensor.

Don't believe me?? Try the 1DX your self and compare :)

Upvote 0
Cannon Man said:
duydaniel said:

danski0224 said:
duydaniel said:

It's pretty obvious that there is an IQ difference on 3000$ camera compared to their flagship 6000$ camera.. Think how much more the 1DX has prosessing power.

Did you watch the video above?
It was from Canon rep. There are no such thing as IQ from $3k vs $6k cameras.
There are reasons why the 1Dx is more expensive and IQ according to the video presentation isn't the case.
However, we are talking about the 5D3 and 1D4 here

Upvote 0
C

Cannon Man

duydaniel said:
Cannon Man said:
duydaniel said:

danski0224 said:
duydaniel said:

Did you watch the video above?
It was from Canon rep. There are no such thing as IQ from $3k vs $6k cameras.
There are reasons why the 1Dx is more expensive and IQ according to the video presentation isn't the case.
However, we are talking about the 5D3 and 1D4 here

I did watch the video.. all i have to say is have you compared the images on 1D IV, 5D III and 1D X in detail........ that's why i said don't believe me? go see for your self.. the difference is noticeable.. no room for arguing when the truth is out there for testing and seeing for yourself...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.