5D3 Viewfinder vs LiveView

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
I've posted test samples of images previously on this subject where my manually focused Zeiss lenses and/or Canon lenses with 5D3 are focused accurately through the VF and get the AF confirmation. They print out and display super sharp on my screens.

Problem I'm having is when I focus in Live View x 10, there is no AF confirmation though the image is sharp on the LCD only later to see that the LV image in the computer is out of focus when compared to the VF image.

Yes, I've had my eyes checked reguarly. :eek:

With landscape or tripod mounted scenes, I much prefer to focus via LV than VF, however this is a problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you.

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
keithfullermusic said:
Is it because of camera shake? Are you on a tripod with cable shutter or 2/10 second delay?

Tripod mounted with wireless shutter release. The entire image was soft.
The only thing I've thought of was the tripod was on the carpet and the mirror was not locked up.

Upvote 0
Lloyd Chambers commented on having difficulty using the lcd to focus accurately. He put it down to a change in the way the lcd image is processed. Apparently, the 5D2 used alternating lines which enhanced the contrast while the 5D3 does not.

It's likely that Magic Lantern will be released for the 5D3 next. (sorry - I have no idea when.) When it is, you will be able to use the built in focus peaking with live view.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.