7d noise question is it normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some examples:

I've been shooting a variety of photos with 7d 5dii and iii and the 7d while a good tracking and focusing camera, has not lived up to my expectations of improving reach because the files don't stand up to any cropping because of high noise and what I think is just poor iso performance. Even uncropped files look fuzzy. I've included files from DPP of clouds (since they are at infinity focus to take poor focusing out of equation), but virtually all the photos show the same graininess and I think that is keeping them from attaining sharpness, really at any iso. The metadata should be right nest to the photos to show the iso and other information.
So is this normal or outside of normal for a 7d, and what should I do bought the camera about 6 months ago.

Attachments

• dpp200.jpg
    dpp200.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 3,060
  • Dpp 100.jpg
    Dpp 100.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 3,063
  • dpp 50.jpg
    dpp 50.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 3,045
ISO's a bit high for the 7D. Although 640 is not that high, there is going to be some noise there with the 7D's sensor. I don't recall 640 being so much that I couldn't apply NR, THEN increase sharpness. If you increase sharpness first, you'll sharpen the noise. Try to shoot ISO 100-400 from now on, if you can. If not, you'll have to deal with this in post.

This is why the 1D Mark IV, although a 1.3x crop factor, actually has more reach than the 7D at higher ISO's.

Upvote 0
As I said I was shouting clouds in this image, so I don't think that it is a focus or metering issue, these photo are typical not exceptional. If the 7d is limited to iso 400, then it really is a poor wildlife platform.

Here is another sample at %200 that shows the noise that I'm getting that seems to be preventing sharpness. I'll try to find a low iso example with different metering

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 12.06.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 12.06.18 PM.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 2,917
Upvote 0
I was just trying to figure out why you had ISO 640, if your shutter was 1/1600 and aperture f/13? I always try to find the most reasonable combinations that gives me the lowest ISO possible, to avoid noise, even if it's just digital noise. The 7D's sensor is noisy, unfortunately and the 18mp crammed into that sensor causes problems. Why don't you shoot the clouds at f/8, and shutter 1/800, for instance, and keep ISO at 125? (approximate settings).

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
I was just trying to figure out why you had ISO 640, if your shutter was 1/1600 and aperture f/13? I always try to find the most reasonable combinations that gives me the lowest ISO possible, to avoid noise, even if it's just digital noise. The 7D's sensor is noisy, unfortunately and the 18mp crammed into that sensor causes problems. Why don't you shoot the clouds at f/8, and shutter 1/800, for instance, and keep ISO at 125? (approximate settings).

Bird in flight demands a shutter speed as fast as possible...The basic setting for a dark BIF I use on my 7D with 300 2.8 is is: s1250 AV 2.8 ISO 160. This would work great for a bird like this.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Settings seem way off for photos shot up to the sky... I seldom shoot clouds or sky at over ISO 100, except sunsets at times... Also, I think you should shut off some of your settings in camera, like NR in long exposures and the others that are similar... you have NR set to strong in one of them, I find standard more than adequate. Seems like your settings need some tweaking to me... :)

Your bird shot looks oof as well... you may want to try a different focus preset and bump your shutter speed up to at least 1/1600-1/2000th, then ISO 640 may be appropriate, but you won't have the noise issue... at the distance you were, you probably could have been shooting the bird at f/2.8 or 3.2... that would help too... I only seem to experience bad noise issues when I'm shooting low light and then it's mostly in the shadows, especially if I'm doing some portrait work. Daytime shooting outside is seldom a noise issue...

Good luck!

EOS 7D, EOS XSi, EOS 60D, EOS 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS II USM, EOS 100-400mm L F:4:0-5:6 IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, EF-S 18-135mm f/3:5-5:6 IS II

Upvote 0
AprilForever said:
bdunbar79 said:

Bird in flight demands a shutter speed as fast as possible...The basic setting for a dark BIF I use on my 7D with 300 2.8 is is: s1250 AV 2.8 ISO 160. This would work great for a bird like this.

At any rate, we agree the ISO could be a lot lower, right?

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2012
applecider said:
Here are some examples:

I've been shooting a variety of photos with 7d 5dii and iii and the 7d while a good tracking and focusing camera, has not lived up to my expectations of improving reach because the files don't stand up to any cropping because of high noise and what I think is just poor iso performance. Even uncropped files look fuzzy. I've included files from DPP of clouds (since they are at infinity focus to take poor focusing out of equation), but virtually all the photos show the same graininess and I think that is keeping them from attaining sharpness, really at any iso. The metadata should be right nest to the photos to show the iso and other information.
So is this normal or outside of normal for a 7d, and what should I do bought the camera about 6 months ago.

I own a 7D. This amount of noise is NOT NORMAL at that ISO. I'm shore is something wrong with the camera.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
A) Never look at files at 200%. You are looking at the quality of the viewer screen interpolation algorithm, which is usually optimized for speed and not quality, and not the actual file.

B) I see spot metering is set in every case. This noise is excessive for the pictured ISOs. I'm willing to bet the metering threw off the exposures and we're looking at underexposed files which have been adjusted in post. Am I right?

Upvote 0

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012
That amount of noise is more than I would expect from my 7D. Quite why its there I don't know. I would expect it may be something to do with settings somewhere. I think there are about 70 on the 7D so pleenty of chance for something amiss.

As the sensor on the 7D is packed with lots of sensors it has to have quite a bit of filtering to stop moira patterns. I would expect to sharpen any image that you wanted to use.

You wont be able to crop any reduced size sensor like you can crop a larger sensor for the same IQ.

Here is a shot taken at ISO 3200 and processed. So there is some noise reduction but not sharpened. This could be processed to print out at A4, there will be some noise that will be too much for some people. Its a matter of choice.

Attachments

• IMG_8333.jpg
    IMG_8333.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,825
Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Whoa. That quite a bit of noise for a 7D. I've shot up to my limit of 6400, and feeling ok at 3200 ISO.

Turn off all processing in camera, ALO, NR, or anything else. It adds noise.

If you shoot in RAW none of these settings matter....

You might try slightly overexposing images to manage noise at higher ISO. As long as you don't blow out highlights you will get images will look cleaner when you drop the exposure back to "correct" in post processing. 7D has a ton of noise in darker and underexposed images. (All cameras do but with the 7D it is even worse)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
nicku said:
Here are some pictures made with my 7D using the same settings like in your exif data. The pics are at 100% in RAW without any PP applied. the noise lvl is much lower....

your 7D is showing a bit of vertical banding noise even in the light areas. some bodies are worse, some are quite good.

Mine can be pretty bad too - but it's variable and I'm working on finding the cause of the variability which I've also identified in a 60D body.

I'm also finding spot AF, center point, servo, works good for BIF even with my slow old 100-400mm L
I don't remember the custom parameters right now, I adjusted them all to work with faster moving stuff for work with birds and bugs.

Agree w RLPhoto, turn off all in-camera processing. Save it for post where it works better and doesn't slow down your camera.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I knew that the 7D had more noise at higher ISO's. But it seems that some of you have obviously a better 7D than I have. I have the same amount of noise as 'Applecider'

It worries me a bit. Though, when printing 10x15 or even A4, I have never had problems with it. When displaying on screen, at higher resolution, yes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.