A hypothesis concerning the RF mount

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Folks, maybe there is no need for a discussion about focal flange distance. Just imagine a lens with "RF-Mount" which extrudes on the back for maybe 20mm. You Need other caps for the bottom of the lens and it has to be minimal smaller in the Diameter. You could attach old EF-lenses *AND* RF Lenses on such a Body without Problems. The only difference would be a bayonett which is a bit longer on the front. But not nearly as Long as a grip... like the Sigma Quattro.

Edit: Of course this "RF"-Lens would not work on EF-Byaonetts with mirrors. Like EF-S.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
RF for radio frequency triggered the same thought in my brain - it would be a great solution to connect only the power and transmit the data at high speed without having any thoughts about contact reliability for high frequencies. On the other hand what about interferences of an antenna output signal with the sensor photosites?

This sounds like nonsense - if you have two items physically connected then the fastest and absolutely most reliable way for them to communicate is over a direct electronic connection eg plain old copper. Less interference, less hassle and far less battery power than wireless.

The ONLY advantage for wireless connectivity is for lenses that are not physically attached to the body, or for those crazy people like me who occasionally use reversing rings to put lenses on backwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
EF stands for Electro-focus.

RF stands for ?

Every other variant of EF is a suffix, ie EF-S and EF-M.

The EF mount has also been used on non-autofocus lenses such as the TS line and the MP-E which don't carry the EF name because they don't electro-focus!

TS is obvious what it stands for MP-E stands for Macro Photo (Exceptional) or Macro Photo (Extendable)

Now, I can see the R standing for 'recessed' but "recessed focus" doesn't make sense, and Canon do tend to use boring and predictable names for their product codes.

EF-R would make a lot more sense for a mount name than RF if the R stands for recessed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Perhaps there is market acceptance or perhaps the marketing is so pervasive that what is best no longer matters and people will be duped into buying anything "new" and "innovative." Those engineering benefits that Sony introduced with their 18mm flange distance are enough to have convinced me that if Canon has a similar new mount, I won't be buying any new FF mirrorless. Unlike many here, I can not afford to buy the top level lenses Sony lenses, so when I bought the A7 II, I could only afford their kit lens (a not so cheap kit lens, mind you - and their other 28-70 kit lens has reviews that are similar to my experience). And those lenses are probably the worst performing lenses I have ever bought - having very poor performance away from the center. After further study and speculation, it is very likely the short flange distance that was the cause.

So that engineering benefit of a drastically reduced flange distance may sway some, but will prevent me from going mirrorless FF unless some technological progress has been made to improve performance.
I believe this poor performance has absolutely nothing to do with the short flange distance of mirrorless cameras.
Want a proof?
- Leica lenses on Leica SL or Leica M 10
A badly designed lens cannot perform any miracles, regardless whether it's mounted on an SLR or on a mirrorless.

Upvote 0

ThomsA

Constantly suppressing GAS. Taking photos.
Aug 31, 2018
Germany
Just published at Nokish_ta (translated):

"Canon confirmed [...] a new product announced in September"
  • EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35 mm F 1.8 M IS
  • RF 50 mm F 1.2 L USM
  • RF 28 - 70 mm F 2 L USM
  • RF 24 - 105 mm F4 L USM
  • EF-M 32 mm F 1.4 STM
  • EF 400 mm F 2.8 L III
  • EF 600 mm F4 L III
  • M adapter R
    • ※ The lens name is not the official name, only the part that can be confirmed

(P.S. First post on this forum :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com

• EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35 mm F 1.8 M IS
  • RF 50 mm F 1.2 L USM
  • EF-M 32 mm F 1.4 STM
  • EF 400 mm F 2.8 L III
  • EF 600 mm F4 L III
  • M adapter R

(P.S. First Post on this forum :) )
5 lenses - Wow

Nokish rates it as a credible rumour -
  • C (credible rumor) : rumors from trustworthy sources. You can trust the rumor general, but there are many mistakes about trivial information.

Upvote 0

• EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35 mm F 1.8 M IS
  • RF 50 mm F 1.2 L USM
  • EF-M 32 mm F 1.4 STM
  • EF 400 mm F 2.8 L III
  • EF 600 mm F4 L III
  • M adapter R

I've been waiting forever for an updated 50mm L - If they finally announce one and it doesn't have an EF mount I'm going to be crying into my coffee for the rest of the year…

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

• EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35 mm F 1.8 M IS
  • RF 50 mm F 1.2 L USM
  • EF-M 32 mm F 1.4 STM
  • EF 400 mm F 2.8 L III
  • EF 600 mm F4 L III
  • M adapter R

Wow, it's like a seismic event- even when you know the big one can come at anytime, it still catches you off-guard when it does. These would be the first non-EF L lenses wouldn't they? It feels like it marks the beginning of a MAJOR shift. I have mixed feelings, but maybe that's just me.

Upvote 0

• EOS R body
  • EOS R 24105 kit
  • RF 35 mm F 1.8 M IS
  • RF 50 mm F 1.2 L USM
  • EF-M 32 mm F 1.4 STM
  • EF 400 mm F 2.8 L III
  • EF 600 mm F4 L III
  • M adapter R

So the "M adapter R" would be the next generation of the ef to eos-m adapter which could mount the new style of lenses?
Hope we might geht the ef-x mount with an extended rear element. The new adapter makes sense in this case since there is this anti reflection plastic thing in the current adapter which prevents the rear element to get closer to the sensor.

Upvote 0
well well....I might need to see a doctor to see if a) I could miss a Kidney and b) if it would be enough for say three nice lenses.

but I see something odd in the rumour; it says 35mm 1.8 IS. But the body is said to have IBIS. So why the need for IS? I would not say this is a done thing yet..
Its called M IS … lets hope that stands for Multi IS :)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
https://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/08/eos-r.html

From this we see the following:

• M adapter R?
    • Since only "M.ADAP R" "M.ADAP R ND" "M.ADAP R PL" is written in the simple order form, the official name is unknown

Does this mean we see three adaptors: standard, ND (neutral density) and PL (polarizer) ??????

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
1) The market (at least a good portion of it) wants smaller gear -- it's easier to differentiate on the market as different/new/better than something that looks the same as the last camera.

2) If they go thin, it unlocks the potential to go adapt lenses.
I mean - yes. But then again, Canon so far haven't really cared about market demands in terms of features for cameras and they certainly don't care at all about adapting anything but Canon glass to their cameras.

After all Canon are the biggest manufacturer out there, and a rather stubborn one, too. I can definitely see them go "f*ck whatever Sony and Nikon say, if anyone knows how to do mirrorless it's us".

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
but I see something odd in the rumour; it says 35mm 1.8 IS. But the body is said to have IBIS. So why the need for IS? I would not say this is a done thing yet..

Not unusual at all. IS in the lens works in conjunction with IBIS to give even better stabilization.

Upvote 0