Two previously rumoured lenses have appeared in a recent patent

Jul 21, 2010
@Neuro and EOS 4 Life: the good arguments are regarding the patents on your side. A 70-200Z-Lens would fit in the recent development and Canon could sell another standard-zoom for about 3500 to 4000€. But imagine to put an adapter to a highly demanded EF-Lens and raise the price by lets say ca 500-600€ would also be a nice business.
Not likely at all. The EF lens is a good design, but it's old (the MkIII is the same glass as the MkII from 2010, with updated coatings). Bolting on an adapter was feasible with the 400/600 MkIII lenses, those were recent designs and the adapter meant a fractional addition to already huge lenses. Neither is the case with the EF 70-200/2.8.

Another RF 70-200/2.8 will almost certainly be a new design.

How about this? If Canon releases an RF 70-200/2.8 that is the EF lens with an adapter incorporated, I'll buy a copy for you.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Although I believe some pros never liked the new design, there are also some folks who treasure it and like it. I´ve been to several weddings in the past two years and talked to the photographer at every wedding. Three shot with a RF 70-200mm lens and they were all raving about size and weight and that is much more suited for weddings (than the EF ones) because as photographers they want to be as discrete as possible. I´ve have heard the same from portrait photographers. So maybe, you should further differentiate which pros you mean. I believe sports and wildlife photographers would rather have a different because they have different needs.

For me personally, I was never interested in the EF versions of the 70-200mm lenses. I thought they were extremely big and bulky for that focal length. The size and weight of the RF versions got me to buy and I absolutely love the RF 70-200mm. I did sell it because I had too many lenses (well, I was wrong ) and I recently repurchased it. This one will be a keeper for a long time.
Indeed. I'm a wedding photographer and I've never liked the EF 70-200/2.8. The RF version is a whole different story.

Upvote 0
I think it's quite clear with the current RF 70-200/f2.8 that Canon are courting wealthy prosumers and not hardened pros. If they had listend to their pros 1st time around they would have heard the unified voices says...we don't like the extending zoom and lack of teleconverter support. Sure it's small and easy to fit in your bag....but once out...it's permanantly racked out to 200mm anyhow....
The RF70-200/2.8 is a L lens and built accordingly. There has been no issues with sucking dust, water ingress or longevity over the >3 years since release irrespective of prosumer or hardened pros usage. It would be a hard call to say that "hardened pros" have avoided it or perhaps they are continuing to use their EF70-200/2.8 until they die or maybe you need to widen your circle of "unified voices".

I would have preferred teleconvertor support but got the RF100-500 instead and have been very happy with it. More dollars to Canon but definitely a big step up quality and AF speed over the EF70-200/2.8 with TCs. I use it across the focal lengths but can crop heavily in post. Shooting at 200mm would not be simple for composition with fast moving subjects.

As @neuroanatomist says.... there are other options if you are only using it at 200mm (such as my case).
Canon doesn't care who uses it (pro or non-pro) or what they use it for as long as it sells. It is filling a market niche and you can take it or leave it.
If a non-extending RF70-200/2.8 is released as a Z lens then it make perfect sense primarily for video usage and if "hardened pros" like it then that is a bonus as it will cost a lot more than the current RF70-200/2.8

Upvote 0
For me personally, I was never interested in the EF versions of the 70-200mm lenses. I thought they were extremely big and bulky for the focal length they offer. The size and weight of the RF versions got me to buy one and I absolutely love the RF 70-200mm. I did sell it because I had too many lenses (well, I was wrong ) and I recently repurchased it. This one will be a keeper for a long time.
I quite like the size/weight of the EF 70-200 f4L family. If the RF 70-200 f2.8 internal zoom can make it in similar form factor(Maybe enlarge to 82mm diameter but shorter). It will shut the haters.

It would be much bigger with optical correction.
$ony trolls will say it's unacceptable because of the price....
I think it's quite clear with the current RF 70-200/f2.8 that Canon are courting wealthy prosumers and not hardened pros. If they had listend to their pros 1st time around they would have heard the unified voices says...we don't like the extending zoom and lack of teleconverter support. Sure it's small and easy to fit in your bag....but once out...it's permanantly racked out to 200mm anyhow....
The last EF 70-200 f2.8L f/2.8L IS III USM that those wealthy to working folks still works wonders on the RF bodies. And if using 200mm+ is the need, RF100-500L, RF100-400, EF300L family, EF400L and all the EF-RF primes are there for you.
If a non-extending RF70-200/2.8 is released as a Z lens then it make perfect sense primarily for video usage and if "hardened pros" like it then that is a bonus as it will cost a lot more than the current RF70-200/2.8
I think most folks in the internet, especially on youtube comments section it's fill with people who are not pro/nor going to buy anyway but bit** about Canon being expensive....While the target audiences just send their money truck into Canon Inc. in a low key way.

Upvote 0
Excellent. The 70-150 f/2 —if confirmed— is just what I was asking for and will complement perfectly my 28-70 f/2.
For me, it would probably replace my EF 70-200mm f2.8 LIS II. Apart from the obvious portraiture coverage, also effectively making the RF 135mm LIS redundant.
However, a lot depends on its size and weight.
For me, I would prefer an extending zoom barrel, but it’s not a deal breaker. It would fit in my landscape bag easier. The main kicker for me is it’s capability of taking a 1.4x TC…it would make an optional 100-210mm f2.8 with a little hit to the IQ and AF speed. That would be super versatile and cover a wide range of photographic needs.
As long as it’s priced sensibly…this could easily topple the mighty RF 70-200/2.8 in terms of sales.

As long as I can afford one, I’d certainly buy one and use it a lot!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
How about this? If Canon releases an RF 70-200/2.8 that is the EF lens with an adapter incorporated, I'll buy a copy for you.

As your arguments are usually better than mine, this will be a safe bet for you. :) Have a great day!
Greetings from Germany - Andreas

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
For me, I would prefer an extending zoom barrel, but it’s not a deal breaker. It would fit in my landscape bag easier. The main kicker for me is it’s capability of taking a 1.4x TC…it would make an optional 100-210mm f2.8 with a little hit to the IQ and AF speed.
Do you mean "100-280/f4"?
Given that the RF100-400/5.6-8 is USD600 and is only USD100 more than the RF1.4x TC... perhaps 2 lenses could be a better combination since you would be changing lenses anyway for the TC.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I believe sports and wildlife photographers would rather have a different design because they have different needs.
Even then there is a divide.
I know wildlife shooters who prefer external zooms because lenses are easier to pack.
Although, not many would choose a 70-200 that does not take a teleconverter anyway.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It would be a hard call to say that "hardened pros" have avoided it or perhaps they are continuing to use their EF70-200/2.8
An external zoom makes sense to me.
Canon needed to give people who already had the EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS a reason to buy another lens,
Canon added IS to the rest of the f/2.8 trinity then introduced the RF 28-70 f.2, RF 24-105 f/2.8 Z, and RF 100-300 f/2.8.
I know they exist but I have a hard time believing that the people who would sell any and all of their lenses for identical RF versions are the majority.
Listen to all of the complaints about the RF 400 f/2.8 and RF 600 f/4 being the same as the EF versions.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I know they exist but I have a hard time believing that the people who would sell any and all of their lenses for identical RF versions are the majority.
Listen to all of the complaints about the RF 400 f/2.8 and RF 600 f/4 being the same as the EF versions.
I think the point is that there are few 'identical' versions of RF lenses (not talking solely about the optics, more about the top-line features). The 24-105/4 comes to mind as an identical lens to its EF predecessor, and it's one of the few lenses priced the same. The great white 400/600 lenses are also in the 'identical' category, as is the 50/1.8. As discussed, the 70-200 zooms are much smaller and lighter than their predecessors. New lenses have IS (made less impactful by IBIS). The 100/2.8 Macro goes to 1.4x magnification. The 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 offer significant optical improvement. The non-L wide primes have are faster and have macro (0.5x) capability. The 10-20/4 is significantly smaller and lighter than 11-24/4, and the former is actually cheaper as well.

I agree that only a minority or people would likely completely swap their EF lenses for RF, especially those of us who have many lenses. But the RF lineup will continue to grow, and over time the majority of people will progressively transition.

Personally, I initially did not plan to get the RF 100/2.8 Macro or the RF 10-20/4. The former came along at a price low enough that I decided to give it a try, and the focus shift issue that concerned me turns out to not be a problem in practice. I will likely pick up the 10-20/4 at some point, the downside is giving up the easy ability to use filters with the 11-24, but the much smaller size/weight mean I'll take the 10-20 along more frequently than I bring the 11-24. Still waiting to see what Canon brings for TS lenses, and also if they replace the MP-E 65.

While I'm not one of those who hates on the adapters, there's something to be said for native lens swapping. For something like the 600/4, the adapter is fine – that's a lens where my personal use pattern is typically a one-lens outing, so the adapter just stays on the camera and I swap lens/TCs. With just one EF lens on a multi-lens outing, it's also fine since the adapter just stays on the lens (e.g. when I went to Italy over the summer, my only non-RF lens was the TS-E 17, and I just put the drop-in filter adapter on it before leaving and that's how the lens traveled). But going out with a mix of EF and RF lenses means a lot of fiddling.

Upvote 0