Two previously rumoured lenses have appeared in a recent patent

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In 2023, Canon aggressively expanded its RF lens lineup with several new lenses. Looking ahead to 2024, we anticipate that Canon will continue this trend and focus on developing lenses that have been highly requested by shooters. Two previously rumoured lenses have appeared in recent patent applications and would surely be extremely popular. Canon RF

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
I guess, we’ll have to see these lenses in the flesh to evaluate if these are right for our types of photography.
A 70-150/f2.0 would be amazing for portrait work. In theory it would be about the same size and weight as the EF 70-200 /2.8 LIS III. The max focal length for a 77mm front element at f2 is around 150mm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I bet the 70-200 will be a Z lens, like the 24-105 f/2.8. I wonder what the people who hate video ("Canon should do a stills only camera!") and hate extending zooms will say. Or maybe their brain will melt due to the internal contradiction :)
EF lenes were built primarily for photographers. They have really good USM AF motors...but are slightly too noisy for video work. The RF lenses are designed for hybrid users...so both photography and Video use...and the AF and aperture is virtually silent....not that either of those are important to stills photographers, however we both pay for the common development in the extra RRP an RF lens carries compared to the EF variant.
These new Z lenses seem to be video only lenses ported over to the RF mount. So I'm sure we will see a lot more of them in the future and many newly co-developed lenses for both formats. Different lenses and build buy sharing the same optical formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bet the 70-200 will be a Z lens, like the 24-105 f/2.8. I wonder what the people who hate video ("Canon should do a stills only camera!") and hate extending zooms will say. Or maybe their brain will melt due to the internal contradiction :)

And those will go back to the "WhErE aRe ThE 3Rd PaRtY lEnSeS" narrative.

The 24-105LZ already criticised for too heavy, too big, too much digital correction.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
These new Z lenses seem to be video only lenses ported over to the RF mount.
The RF 24-105 Z is a photo lens that is electronically parfocal.
The CN-E 18-80 T4.4 is a cinema lens with AF and IS that can be used for photography.
The drawbacks to the 18-80 are that it is more expensive, super 35, and curiously only has firmware support only only a few hybrid cameras.
Although, it works on all the cinema cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I\'m hoping the new RF 70-200 moves the zoom ring closer to the body like the RF 24-70mm 2.8. Also, I hope it has little to no focus breathing because focus breathing is terrible on the current 70-200mm 2.8.
I think it's quite clear with the current RF 70-200/f2.8 that Canon are courting wealthy prosumers and not hardened pros. If they had listend to their pros 1st time around they would have heard the unified voices says...we don't like the extending zoom and lack of teleconverter support. Sure it's small and easy to fit in your bag....but once out...it's permanantly racked out to 200mm anyhow....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think it's quite clear with the current RF 70-200/f2.8 that Canon are courting wealthy prosumers and not hardened pros. If they had listend to their pros 1st time around they would have heard the unified voices says...we don't like the extending zoom and lack of teleconverter support. Sure it's small and easy to fit in your bag....but once out...it's permanantly racked out to 200mm anyhow....
I'm not a pro photographer, but I'm certain that you don't speak for all of them and that there's no 'unified voice'. One local wedding/event photographer I spoke with loves the design of the RF 70-200.

Also, if your lens is permanently racked out to 200mm when you use it, then you need a longer lens. Personally, ~30% of my shots with 70-200 lenses (both EF and RF) are at 200mm. You might consider the 100-300/2.8, that may better meet your needs since it has an extra 100mm, internal zoom and takes TCs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 70-200/2.8 with internal zoom will certainly not be a new development but rather the EF-Lens with build in RF-Adapter.
What makes you certain about that? Most likely it will be a 'Z' lens to match the 24-105/2.8, and I'd bet on it being an updated design. For example, Canon has patented two RF 70-200/2.8 internal zoom designs, one in 2020 and the other this year. Both are different from the EF lens. The recent one has two focus groups consistent with Dual Nano USM focusing that's used in recent lenses like the 100-300/2.8 and 24-105/2.8.

EF MkIII
EF 70-200 III.png

2020 patent
RF 70-200 patent 2020.png

2023 patent
RF 70-200 patent 2023.png

Upvote 0
Although I believe some pros never liked the new design, there are also some folks who treasure it and like it. I´ve been to several weddings in the past two years and talked to the photographer at every wedding. Three shot with a RF 70-200mm lens and they were all raving about size and weight and that is much more suited for weddings (than the EF ones) because as photographers they want to be as discrete as possible. I´ve have heard the same from portrait photographers. So maybe, you should further differentiate which pros you mean. I believe sports and wildlife photographers would rather have a different design because they have different needs.

For me personally, I was never interested in the EF versions of the 70-200mm lenses. I thought they were extremely big and bulky for the focal length they offer. The size and weight of the RF versions got me to buy one and I absolutely love the RF 70-200mm. I did sell it because I had too many lenses (well, I was wrong ) and I recently repurchased it. This one will be a keeper for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
@Neuro and EOS 4 Life: the good arguments are regarding the patents on your side. A 70-200Z-Lens would fit in the recent development and Canon could sell another standard-zoom for about 3500 to 4000€. But imagine to put an adapter to a highly demanded EF-Lens and raise the price by lets say ca 500-600€ would also be a nice business.

Upvote 0