AFMA for 1DX II Tips Anyone?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I need to calibrate my lenses to my 1DX !! but Reikan Focal doesn't support it yet. I have Lens Align but not the Focus Tune software to automate it.

What are people using? Is the Focus Tune software worth purchasing and how is it to use?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

sek

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi tpatana.
Whilst I'm sure that some get acceptable results from dot tune, many of us here have reported less than consistent results with zero repeatability, to be accurate results should be repeatable within reasonable limits. 1 or maybe two points off, I had 5 or 6 point differences between results when I did it, not repeatable!

Cheers, Graham.

tpatana said:
What's wrong with manual dot tune?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
While I have bought some of the various focus targets, I find that few things work better than a brick wall viewed at a high angle of incidence to quickly get the lens AFMA in the ballpark ±1 or 2. From there I find I'd rather do the final zeroing in with a target at the desired distance of the subject. For that final task I use something with lettering on a curved surface - a can, a bottle, ... . I've done it this way for 22 lenses (14 lenses and 4 with either the 1.4x or the 2x) and 3 bodies. It really does not take that long to do or put that many releases on the shutter.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30269.msg607455#msg607455

Manual AFMA using Reikan FoCal works great. Mount lens, set target and light, shoot frames at 5pt intervals, load into FoCal, let it crunch. Got excellent results on almost every lens going down to f/1.4 due to AF consistency. Checked with LensAlign and didn't see the need to further tune. Been shooting for 2 months with no focus issues (other than the photographer).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:
Use FoCal's manual mode.

tpatana said:

It's neither accurate nor precise.

Is it more accurate/precise than not doing anything?

Say the appropriate value is +2, but DotTune reports -4. Then, yes...it's worse than doing nothing.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:
Use FoCal's manual mode.

tpatana said:

Say the appropriate value is +2, but DotTune reports -4. Then, yes...it's worse than doing nothing.

How often this happens? Assuming person doing the dot tune knows how to do it?

I dot tune my gear, and so far re-tuning it's usually same every time.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:
Use FoCal's manual mode.

tpatana said:

How often this happens? Assuming person doing the dot tune knows how to do it?

I dot tune my gear, and so far re-tuning it's usually same every time.

Happened to me with the 35L. The 16-35/2.8 II was also way off. DotTune is better with longer lenses, but I'm not prepared to trust it.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi tpatana.
I'm pretty certain I fully comprehend the method involved in dot tune, I tried it on my 7D with Σ 150-500 and Σ 17-70C both returned results commensurate with Neuro's explanation, yes it made things worse, that was when I discovered the lack of repeatability of the method, I will concede that it may be down to the lenses as much as the method, either way, Reikan FoCal does work reliably and repeatabley with these lenses, dot tune did not.

Cheers, Graham.

neuroanatomist said:

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
Once tweaked via FoCal, how often would you retest a lens (if at all)? Is there any drift in the AFMA required over the space of, say, a year of heavy use of a lens? (Clearly this would depend on a number of factors such as component wear, temperature extremes and levels of your OCD.)

If only Canon could/would implement an auto AFMA system via firmware.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
GuyF said:
Once tweaked via FoCal, how often would you retest a lens (if at all)? Is there any drift in the AFMA required over the space of, say, a year of heavy use of a lens? (Clearly this would depend on a number of factors such as component wear, temperature extremes and levels of your OCD.)

Recalibrate:
When it appears soft.
When you have dropped the lens.
When you have dropped the camera.
When working in very hot weather.
When working in very cold weather.
When you are bored.

I stick a chart to a wall and shoot it periodically to see if the resolution has changed.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
AlanF said:
GuyF said:

Recalibrate:
When it appears soft.
When you have dropped the lens.
When you have dropped the camera.
When working in very hot weather.
When working in very cold weather.
When you are bored.

I stick a chart to a wall and shoot it periodically to see if the resolution has changed.

AF verification is a good use of LensAlign or a target with angled yardstick. No reason to re-calibrate unless you see something wrong in your photos or after a periodic checkup. I tend to check my wide aperture or long lenses more often.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Thank you to all who posted, most informative and thought out.

Here is my continuing saga.

I upgraded to the latest version of Focal (2.1). When I try to connect the 1DX II I get the following message:

"Error. The connected camera (Canon EOS-1DX Mark II) is not supported by FoCal. I have tried to contact FoCal at least 6 times by email, but get no reply.

Is there a secret to get the camera recognized? I was able to get the serial number/camera registered, and I'm using the Pro version.

Thanks for all help.

sek

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scottkinfw said:
I upgraded to the latest version of Focal (2.1). When I try to connect the 1DX II I get the following message:

"Error. The connected camera (Canon EOS-1DX Mark II) is not supported by FoCal. I have tried to contact FoCal at least 6 times by email, but get no reply.

Is there a secret to get the camera recognized? I was able to get the serial number/camera registered, and I'm using the Pro version.

There's no secret, other than FoCal does not currently support the 1D X II with anything other than manual mode calibration. This was mentioned in the 3rd reply to your post, along with a link for the FoCal page which states just that:

LordofTackle said:
the latest Version of Focal (2.1) does support at least Manual File Mode with the 1DxII.
Thus you could do AFMA by taking photos with different AFMA settings manually and analyze them using Focal-
I haven't tried it yet, though.
The ability to control the camera through Focal is supposed to come soon.

https://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/index.php/2016/07/focal-2-1-adds-full-nikon-d5d500-support-and-new-dust-analysis/

I guess they're not responding because they already answered your question in the release notes for v2.1.

Check the FoCal instructions for how to do a Manual Mode analysis.

Upvote 0