Analysis of RAW samples at Fred Miranda show weak DR

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
privatebydesign said:
I was in Hawaii recently and went to the point where the lava flows into the sea, I wasn't taking pictures as I was on vacation. So the composition was a simple one that lent itself to a hard or soft grad, trouble was the one guy I saw using filters also had a PL on and kept both on well after dark when the DR was down around the 5 stops mark, if that. I can't imagine how much post processing he would have had to do to get some contrast back in his images!

But that is "layer 8 error" and you can't prevent that with any technique :D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
CanonCams said:
https://www.facebook.com/TheCameraStore/videos/10154977822526359/

Hands on 'Review' starts at 31ish minutes.

I don't know if this is a production or a pre production or a 'sample' model.

I also apologize in advance if this has been posted before.

Hasn't. At least not on this thread -- 6D2 starts at 38:00 or so. Listening now.

Chris and Jordan in general do a decent job and provide a broad stills guy / video guy perspective. They love to lift shadows, though, so I'm bracing for impact. :eek:

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
CanonCams said:
https://www.facebook.com/TheCameraStore/videos/10154977822526359/

Hands on 'Review' starts at 31ish minutes.

I don't know if this is a production or a pre production or a 'sample' model.

I also apologize in advance if this has been posted before.

Hasn't. At least not on this thread -- 6D2 starts at 38:00 or so. Listening now.

Chris and Jordan in general do a decent job and provide a broad stills guy / video guy perspective. They love to lift shadows, though, so I'm bracing for impact. :eek:

- A

They both did a great job. Unfortunately, barring any major advancement in the production model (if that wasn't what they were using), I will be passing on the MK II.

Sucks, cause I was looking forward to this release!

Upvote 0
http://www.irentals.cn/article.php?id=138&page=3

http://www.irentals.cn/article.php?id=138&page=2

This is a DR test of production model written in Chinese, but you probably can understand the chart. High ISO has improved, but DR stays the same as 6D.

I think Canon made the similar choice as Nikon D5, go for high ISO performance.

As a landscape photographer, I am very disappointed about this choice.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
greenjacket said:

Except... I don't think they accomplished either.

the 6d2, so far, is looking disappointing all around in sensor performance.
Does everything else really well except... record malleable images.

Sounds like Canon released and new OLD camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Aglet said:
greenjacket said:

Except... I don't think they accomplished either.

the 6d2, so far, is looking disappointing all around in sensor performance.
Does everything else really well except... record malleable images.

Sounds like Canon released and new OLD camera.

You might have had a point about 'malleable images', considering your history of being unable to take even the simplest exposures, if the 6D itself wasn't more than capable of being pulled excessively in post already. The 6D was no 5D MkII, but then again most people could use that well enough.

For those not in the know this is an example held up by Aglet as having unusable IQ and the 5D MkII being total garbage, because even though the scene DR is very modest he messed up the simplest of exposures.

Attachments

• 4-std-flat.jpg_thumb.png
    4-std-flat.jpg_thumb.png
    423.2 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0
greenjacket said:
http://www.irentals.cn/article.php?id=138&page=3

http://www.irentals.cn/article.php?id=138&page=2

This is a DR test of production model written in Chinese, but you probably can understand the chart. High ISO has improved, but DR stays the same as 6D.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-TW&u=https://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php%3Ff%3D244%26t%3D5211408&prev=search

A rough translation of what is being said.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
SecureGSM said:
Private, are you saying this image was underexposed by at least -2EV?
privatebydesign said:
For those not in the know this is an example held up by Aglet as having unusable IQ and the 5D MkII being total garbage, because even though the scene DR is very modest he messed up the simplest of exposures.

What is your opinion?

Mine always was that if you don't expose right then it is your fault, Aglet point was if he had used a different make of camera he would have been ok with his mistake.

But my point here was the 6D is a darn sight more 'malleable' than the 5D MkII anyway so his comment was just a cheap shot.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
So Canon is about to release a steaming hot pile on the market and it's getting the acclaim it deserves so you think it's an appropriate time to dredge up this aspect of an old topic?

I think you have misplaced your aggression.
Don't kick your dog.
Go kick a Canon Exec. :)
Not much point trying to pick on me either; water, duck. :)

speaking of cheap shots
you keep trolling at a personal attack level :)
should I have your post flagged as offensive?

you can have as many of my posts deleted as you'd like.
any CR admin who thinks they were offensive is just allowing the usual trolls free reign here and is complicit in the problem.
We've seen it before.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
In my opinion, according to the histogram to the right of the image, my estimation is that mid greys are under exposed by -2EV. (note: I cannot see the histogram readings clearly due to the small size of the image). If so, I do not consider this being a minor mistake let alone being a norm or something that I would even consider "fixing" in post. if happened (flash misfired, bulb gone, full eclipse or black magic :) ), such an image would be culled immediately - no exceptions.

privatebydesign said:
What is your opinion?

Mine always was that if you don't expose right then it is your fault, Aglet point was if he had used a different make of camera he would have been ok with his mistake.

But my point here was the 6D is a darn sight more 'malleable' than the 5D MkII anyway so his comment was just a cheap shot.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Aglet said:
So Canon is about to release a steaming hot pile on the market and it's getting the acclaim it deserves so you think it's an appropriate time to dredge up this aspect of an old topic?

I think you have misplaced your aggression.
Don't kick your dog.
Go kick a Canon Exec. :)
Not much point trying to pick on me either; water, duck. :)

speaking of cheap shots
you keep trolling at a personal attack level :)
should I have your post flagged as offensive?

you can have as many of my posts deleted as you'd like.
any CR admin who thinks they were offensive is just allowing the usual trolls free reign here and is complicit in the problem.
We've seen it before.

Dude I don't care what you say, I think you'll find your posts are being deleted because you are not allowed to use people's names if they don't use them themselves, it is written in the TOU.

Count yourself lucky just getting deleted, I got a ban when I unwittingly did it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
SecureGSM said:
In my opinion, according to the histogram to the right of the image, my estimation is that mid greys are under exposed by -2EV. (note: I cannot see the histogram readings clearly due to the small size of the image). If so, I do not consider this being a minor mistake let alone being a norm or something that I would even consider "fixing" in post. if happened (flash misfired, bulb gone, full eclipse or black magic :) ), such an image would be culled immediately - no exceptions.

privatebydesign said:
What is your opinion?

The scene has 7 stops of DR, easily captured by a 5D MkII yet Aglet trashed the camera and insulted anybody that pointed out his expectations of correcting his mistakes was atypical.

The only reason I reposted it here was because he is saying the same thing about a camera two generations later. The 6D was a noticeable step up in IQ and shadow lifting performance from the 5D MkIII let alone 5D MkII, and there is no reason to think the 6D MkII will be worse than the 6D anywhere. Indeed early tests seem, to indicate a decent improvement in the high ISO range.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
privatebydesign said:
The scene has 7 stops of DR, easily captured by a 5D MkII yet Aglet trashed the camera and insulted anybody that pointed out his expectations of correcting his mistakes was atypical.

I'm pretty much focused on insulting the PoS that was my 5d2.
Anyone who harps on about it being a great camera is delusional! :)

The only reason I reposted it here was because he is saying the same thing about a camera two generations later. The 6D was a noticeable step up in IQ and shadow lifting performance from the 5D MkIII let alone 5D MkII, and there is no reason to think the 6D MkII will be worse than the 6D anywhere. Indeed early tests seem, to indicate a decent improvement in the high ISO range.

Thanks?... How is that repost relevant here? If anything it shows Canon has improved very little on this style of imaging pipeline in many years.

I'm not the only one who's pointing out the 6d2 is not delivering to expectations.
Hopefully it isn't afflicted with FPN like the Digic 4 systems so it'll improve to some extent of those older bodies.

This is gonna be a useful camera to many people but it's going to be a major letdown for anyone who was expecting a better camera.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Nuh, not really. 8) see the chart attached. 6D vs 6D II. 0 advantage at ISO 3200 and a tiny bit at ISO 6400.
I am shopping for a couple of mint 5D III's instead. Best value in town (A$1,700-1,800 for a low shutter count, mint body). :p

privatebydesign said:
Indeed early tests seem, to indicate a decent improvement in the high ISO range.

Attachments

• 1500159071829721.jpg
    1500159071829721.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
privatebydesign said:
Dude I don't care what you say, I think you'll find your posts are being deleted because you are not allowed to use people's names if they don't use them themselves, it is written in the TOU.

Count yourself lucky just getting deleted, I got a ban when I unwittingly did it.

Crikey! Is that all it takes?!?
I've seen people can post stuff on here's that's grounds for a fist-fight (nor referring to you here in this case, merely a minor annoyance :) ) .. and it stays but addressing someone by name is a major no-no?...
Things must have been amended since I first signed up.
But they still haven't improved protocol where it would be most helpful. ???

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
Nuh, not really. 8) see the chart attached. 6D vs 6D II. 0 advantage at ISO 3200 and a tiny bit at ISO 6400.
I am shopping for a couple of mint 5D III's instead. Best value in town (A$1,700-1,800 for a low shutter count, mint body). :p

privatebydesign said:
Indeed early tests seem, to indicate a decent improvement in the high ISO range.

They really screwed the pooch on this one!

Upvote 0