Canon 1D X firmware poblem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I've run accross a problem with my 1D X when shooting in manual (M) mode. If I have the camera set in Manual, the 2-second Self-timer enabled in Drive mode, and use Live View, the camera freezes up after taking a shot. I've verified that it does this with both the 17mm TSE and 8-15mm fisheye zoom (just happened to be the two lenses that I was using...). I have to turn the camera off and remove the battery to recover from it. I went back and tried the 2-second self-timer and live view with the AV mode and it worked OK so it seems to be specific to Manual mode. Can someone else with a 1D X confirm this behavior? I'm thinking it may be a firmware bug; not a problem with my specific camera.

Thanks...

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There are likely other settings involved, I'd save the settings, and then reset the camera to see if the problem goes away. Then restore the settings and see if it comes back.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it works after restoring default settings. I then put the camera back into RAW and a specific ISO (not the default AUTO) and it still worked. Next I went back and restored the setting that I had saved and it is broken again so you're right. It points to a specific combination of settings. Now if I can just figure out which one is causing it...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I recall something about needing to disable silent shooting in live view with TS-E lenses, but I thought the new ones (17 and 24 II) were exempt, so that's probably not it...

Even though restoring defaults fixes it, it could certainly be a firmware bug. For example, the AFMA bug that was fixed with firmware 1.0.6 was triggered by enabling the orientation-linked AF point setting. If you can reproduce the behavior based on a single setting, that will help Canon (and the rest of us, eventually). If not, you might still contact Canon and offer to email your settings file to them for testing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.