Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
rpt said:
Mr Bean said:
March Fly in flight.

378A1730_March_fly.jpg
Wow! How did you manage to shoot this?
Thanks.

From an insect perspective, I noticed they were hanging around the back of house, hovering on occasion (for 2-3 seconds), before darting off. If I stood still, peaking over the viewfinder (because they would dart off at the slightest movement), they would get within 1-2m from me. But sometimes, they would get within 30-50cms from the lens.

I had the twin macro flash setup, plus the 5D3 was set to 6fps, and in AI Servo mode. The tricky bit (from a camera perspective) was trying to get enough focus points to pick up on the fly, and not the background. Sooooo many out of focus / trees in focus shots. Thankfully, it's digital, not film ;)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Mr Bean said:
Drop of life.

I did use the 25mm extension ring, with the 100mm macro. It gave me a little more magnification, which I needed for a drop of water :)
Great shot!
The refraction in the water drop makes it really cool.
In addition please also share the exposure data, esp. f-stop and distance. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
Mr Bean said:
Drop of life.

I did use the 25mm extension ring, with the 100mm macro. It gave me a little more magnification, which I needed for a drop of water :)
Great shot!
The refraction in the water drop makes it really cool.
In addition please also share the exposure data, esp. f-stop and distance. Thanks in advance.
Thanks Maximilian. The details are: ISO400 2.5 seconds @ f11. I used the Macro twin flash and the distance was probably around 100mm (it was pretty much the minimum focus distance of the 100mm lens plus 25mm extension tube).

It was raining at the time, and I've discovered how well the 5D3 takes moisture. Not that I want to get it wet, but, sometimes the best time to take pic's of water drops is in the rain :)

Upvote 0