Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS Mentioned Again [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told once again that Canon is actively working on an EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS lens. We’ve been told in the past that Canon was working on this during the time of the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II lens development.</p>
<p>One of the major reasons an IS version of the lens wasn’t released  was the size the lens would be with image stabilization, so Canon released a smaller EF 24-70 f/2.8L II instead.</p>
<p>We’re told that two or three prototypes exist, but no final design has been decided on. The IS being worked on for the lens will provide better performance than anything currently in the Canon lineup, along with more optical upgrades, one would assume a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-develops-new-camera-lens-optical-element/" target="_blank">BR element</a> would be part of the development.</p>
<p>Do not expect this lens from Canon for 18-24 months at the earliest, as there’s no pressure to release it, even after <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/nikon-to-announce-24-70-f2-8-vr-24-f1-8-200-500-f5-6-vr/">Nikon recently announced a VR version of their 24-70 f/2.8</a>.</p>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
plam_1980 said:
I know they want to milk the 24-70 f/2.8L II as much as possible, but it is really annoying if they can have it in 6-12 months but delay it for 24 just because they don't feel the pressure...

I suspect the current 24-70 f/2.8L II would remain current if/when the IS version comes.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
plam_1980 said:
I know they want to milk the 24-70 f/2.8L II as much as possible, but it is really annoying if they can have it in 6-12 months but delay it for 24 just because they don't feel the pressure...

I suspect the current 24-70 f/2.8L II would remain current if/when the IS version comes.

Then what would be the reason to hold off the IS version, if they can sell well both?

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
plam_1980 said:
Canon Rumors said:
plam_1980 said:

Then what would be the reason to hold off the IS version, if they can sell well both?

Upgrades beyond just IS.

Upvote 0
plam_1980 said:
i'm actually more puzzled about the fact that Nikon's products are available in 1, max 2 months after the annoncement, but with Canon, you have to wait 3-6 months.

Upvote 0
18-24 months? Canon is doing their best to make people go for non-IS version first and upgrade to IS version after that. It is better if they sell two lenses instead of one. It will most probably be my case as well ...

But if its going to be a new (even better) optical formula including BR element it will not be just the same lens with IS. It will be whole new product which takes some time to get to the market.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Nitroman said:
24-105 f4 IS II please ...

I'm sure we'd all like a little extra length. ;)

...and a little more.... 24-135 f/4 IS. A EFS 15-85 equivalent focal length with constant f/4 aperture. What an amazing walk around lens that could be if Canon nailed the optical formula. Trade off would likely be size.

I would rather have that than a 24-70 f/2.8 IS. If we are talking about a lens bigger than the current 24-70 II.

Upvote 0
"no pressure to release it within the next 18-24 months"? Yes indeed, because anybody will have moved to body-stabilized Sony cameras like the A7R2 which are better than even a 1DC, 5D3 and 7D2 combined - and everything you will ever need from Canon in the far future is the lens lineup that already exists today. So technically, it doesnt matter if Canon releases a 24-70/2.8 VR tomorrow or in 10 years. I would have needed and bought this lens in the last 7 years. Sleep on Canon, it's enough to release the lens in 2017 together with the new 1080p 5D4.

Upvote 0
plam_1980 said:

Or that they don't feel that the current pressure dictates their busy R&D schedules?
From reading between the lines, a number of prototypes were made...but the decision was a no. Now they have re-opened this as a product development, but with a possible re-work / re-design. But it's been "urgency" rationalised and it's just not important enough to queue jump existing lenses which are already in the pipeline (16-35IIIL?) which are further into their development.

I'm not a big IS user for wide and standard lenses. So for me it's irrelevant. I'd only buy one if it offered a significant improvement in optics and AF.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Mitch.Conner said:
18-24 months? My frustration with Canon grows a little more.

.....ummmm....remember, Canon hasn't said anything about this lens. This is a rumor. So you are frustrated that you potentially have 18-24 month notice of a lens release due to a rumor mill....

Canon has been releasing some gems lately.

Upvote 0

Mitch.Conner

It was all a lie.
Nov 7, 2013
docsmith said:
Mitch.Conner said:
18-24 months? My frustration with Canon grows a little more.

.....ummmm....remember, Canon hasn't said anything about this lens. This is a rumor. So you are frustrated that you potentially have 18-24 month notice of a lens release due to a rumor mill....

Canon has been releasing some gems lately.

True. I'm just venting.

I've just been waiting for this lens for what seems like a long time now.

Upvote 0