Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM

Re: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 II L USM

Thanks Tron. The sharpness was basically human error. I may be being a bit hypercritical of my attempts, but I was trying to run before I could walk. I was trying to focus at the hyperfocal distance (10m @ 24mm and f/1.4) to get some of the foreground in focus as well, when I should have gone for the shot first, then started experimenting. One of the criticisms of modern lenses (and it is one area where Zeiss lenses have the edge), has been the depth of field scales. Basically, the scale on the 24mm f/1.4 MkII (and in fact most Canon WA lenses) goes from 3m to infinity, making it a guestimation that it is focused at the hyperfocal distance, unless you prefocus on something at 10m. I could have afforded to stop down a bit too (which I did later on, when the lights had subsided a bit).
The ISO 800 shots were 15 secs, so it is likely that there would have been some star trails, while the ISO 1600 shots were at 8 secs (mostly f/1.4, but some later ones at f/1.6). The lights weren't exactly bright, but at least I saw them and got some usable shots. Incidentally, the two shots that I thought were teh best in terms of sharpness (both when the lights were subsiding), can't have been too bad, as they were accepted by Alamy, in a batch only containing the two shots and nothing else. Alamy typically scan two images from each upload to make sure the image quality is high enough.

Upvote 0
M

Mencho(22)

IMG_9380.jpg

Upvote 0

Ive been dreaming about a 24 1.4 II lens for a looong time. The thing is i'd like to see the output from shooting weddings, any ideas on how to search that? I have done image searches on 24mm and Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 II L USM and such but only a small handfull of wedding picks that i found. I know its used a lot more just need some help. Also any opinions would be of great value!
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Bosman said:
Ive been dreaming about a 24 1.4 II lens for a looong time. The thing is i'd like to see the output from shooting weddings, any ideas on how to search that? I have done image searches on 24mm and Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 II L USM and such but only a small handfull of wedding picks that i found. I know its used a lot more just need some help. Also any opinions would be of great value!
Thanks!
You'll probably still need to pick and choose, but try this Google search.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1266&bih=861&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=canon+24mm+1.4+ii+wedding&oq=canon+24mm+1.4+ii+wedding&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...4472l6991l0l7647l8l8l0l7l7l0l375l375l3-1l1l0.frgbld.

Upvote 0

Kernuak said:
Bosman said:
Thanks!
You'll probably still need to pick and choose, but try this Google search.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1266&bih=861&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=canon+24mm+1.4+ii+wedding&oq=canon+24mm+1.4+ii+wedding&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...4472l6991l0l7647l8l8l0l7l7l0l375l375l3-1l1l0.frgbld.
Thanks theres a couple i haven't seen.

Upvote 0

Daniel Flather said:
Great photos in this thred, and I now qualify to post in it.

69514660.jpg
Daniel, I just ordered a 24 II tonight, I hope it blows the doors out for me, been dreamin about it for a few years. This is an expensive month!
I assume that was taken on your new 5dm3? The image is very clean.
What can you tell me about the 24 II from your personal connection with it?

Upvote 0

Bosman said:
Daniel, I just ordered a 24 II tonight, I hope it blows the doors out for me, been dreamin about it for a few years. This is an expensive month!

I absolutely adore this lens. I'd been dreaming of a 24mm f/1.4 on a FF camera ever since I first heard that Canon had one. Wasn't able to afford it until version II came out, and in a way, I'm glad I had to wait. It's my favorite lens that I've ever shot, and that list includes the 85L and my 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, which I also like an awful lot.

But the 24 is magic.

Upvote 0

Bosman said:

I also dreamt about it for around two years (well since its release whenever that was now, time flies by). When I went to Norway to photograph the northern lights, I didn't have anything wider than f/4 at the wide end, so it was the driver to finally getting it. Now, I will never take another shot at around 24mm without it. My 24-105 has suddenly become a part-timer. I knew the image quality would be quite a bit better, but I wasn't prepared for just how good the 24 f/1.4 MkII is. It is much sharper, has much less CA and distortion and a nicer look, due to it being more contrasty. I no longer have to worry about the corners being soft.

Upvote 0

Thanks guys, you are making turning my possible buyers remorse into a big smile! :D
I haven't got ship confirmation and i ordered next day Fedex so if i don't get a confirmation soon I'll have to call Canon and say remove my next day charges, it said in stock on your site but never shipped next day as expected. I ordered from Adorama where it said in stock and i got it a week or two later and called them up and they removed the charge but seriously charging me for next day service when i didn't get it the next day is bordering on theft.

Haha, i had to modify the post because literally while typing this i got an email ship confirmation from Canon.

Upvote 0

Bosman said:
Daniel Flather said:
Great photos in this thred, and I now qualify to post in it.

69514660.jpg

Hi, that photo was taken on my new 5D3 with the 24Lii wide open, 1/200, MLU, tripod, iso 100, converted with DPP, and only minor adjustments in DPP; I orderd the lens with the 5D3, so I've had it a week, yes, expensive month. Its AF is fast, it's sharp wide open, well built, but that stuff is expected; its best feature is wide angle perspective and shallow dof —it's awesome.

With my 50D I had the 10-22 as my WA, it was a great lens, but the 24L stomps it at every turn. Add that to the 5D3's AF that is light years ahead of what my 50D provided and I'm very thrilled.

Upvote 0

Daniel Flather said:
Also, the 24 vignettes a lot wide open, but I love that feature. You can see it in my photo above; I always leave that in and never correct it in DPP, but DPP does a great job of removing it if you want do that.
Thanks Daniel, I look forward to more from you in the future but honestly having all the best lenses is going to be difficult for you to decide what to pick up and bond with :D
My 24 II is going to be here tomorrow. I am also getting a padded insert for my Pelican Case. While the foam is really nice for locking your equipment into place I keep changing things and lately adding things to put in the case and now with a 3rd body its going to be tight but this will be nice to have a non-foam version so i dont have to keep buying new foam section kits for it when things change for me. I have a backpack that just maxed out on usefulness and besides lugging that on your back isn't the best. I just roll away with the Pelican Case.

Upvote 0

Canon had my lens to me by 10am this morning overnighted. I am pretty impressed with the out of focus properties. I am just struggling with consistency. Is this an issue with this lens? Do you have to shoot a few to make sure you get it? I set it to-3 micro adjust on my 5dm3 so far and that helped.I'll test it on the other bodies when i get a chance.
How does it focus with far away subjects? From what i have read you want to be closer to your subjects when you shoot with shallow, if any of you guys that have a lot of lens time could offer some tips or suggestions i'd really appreciate it!

Upvote 0

My lens nails it all the time, even at this wide of lens, f1.4 can is thin. I never seem to shoot at infinity now that you ask. But I have mfa disabled on my 5D3 because I shoot wide open and close, so any error correction is lost do to subject or camera movement. I find the more I play with mfa the worse my keeper rate is —so disable.

Upvote 0