Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Specification lists have become a rare thing for the rumor mill if an announcement isn’t imminent, so we tend to take most of them with a huge grain of salt.
We’ve been sent a few suggested specification lists for the Canon EOS 80D replacement, one we’re calling the EOS 90D to keep things easy. There has been some talk that this will be the last of the higher-end APS-C DSLRs to come from Canon. While we cannot confirm this to be true, I think the writing is on the wall.
Canon EOS 90D Specifications: (Rumored)

32.5mp APS-C DPAF Sensor
Dual DIGIC 8
Dual SD card slots
10fps still shooting
ISO range of 100-51,200
45 AF points (no word on the number of cross-type points)
4K video at 24/25, 30 and 60fps (No word on DPAF in 4K recording)
3.2″ rear articulating LCD
Dust and moisture sealing
Built-in wifi and Bluetooth
$1399 USD price at launch
Coming late August 2019

This does seem like a move up from the EOS 80D but doesn’t really feel like an EOS 7D Mark II update. As much as...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Those specs look a bit too good to be true. It would be a fairly large step up from the 80D (even if not that interesting an offering for current 7D2 users). The dual card slots and processors I’m especially dubious of, given the price bracket. But I guess even Canon could surprise us every once in a while.

Edit: Missed the 4K@60fps! I believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Watch the 90D outsell the RP and R put together. Canon won't kill a market segment they sell so many units in. The R seems like a great camera, but it's $2k body only. The RP is crippled and with one decent RF lens is $2k+. Meanwhile, the 90D will be available with a decent selection of cheap EFS lenses, that many already have. For many, it will get the job done at a much lower price point.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
It's not a step up from the 7dII but it is a step sideways. You lose the weatherproofing and joystick but gain a flippy screen and 60% more megapixels for greater cropping ability. The FPS doesn't change but I'm guessing with improvements in the processor the focusing probably is at least equivalent to the current 7dII and might even have a few dual cross types. I'd also strongly suspect that if you flip out the screen you will have the same focusing capabilities the R has, with edge to edge focusing capabilities and eye tracking.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Id be statisfied with that, as long as there is improvememt in the focusing department.
Maybe they will include a joystick. I hope so at least

If thats really the price than thats a lot of camera for the price. Cant really compain at that price point and would fit in the upgrade structure : pay 100 more and get the rp.

Upvote 0
As far as i know canon always Positionen their full frame cameras as a step up from aps-c in the upgrade path. For e.g. the 6d was more expensive than the 7d, and so on.

Now with the canon rp beeing the cheapest full frame at 1500 dollars i think its plausible, that canon told their engineers to design the "best" aps-c cam for a 1400 dollar price point (just below the canon rp).

Upvote 0
I would assume the 45 point PDAF module would be the same as the 80D and 6D II - all cross type. It would likely just be more usable on an APS-C sensor since the points will cover most of the frame. Those listed specs actually seem believable. I'm hoping Canon isn't afraid of adding a second card slot to a top-tier APS-C camera body, and it's probable that they will if a 7D III isn't coming. Dual DIGIC 8 processors would be hugely beneficial for sport/action scenarios; I can't imagine there would be a buffer limit for JPEGs even at 32.5MP with that kind of processing power available.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
What missing for 7D Mark II upgrade?

This one already sounds more like the 7D replacement, than the 80D one.

Based on this list, to qualify even as a potential replacement for the 7D Mk II some features are lacking.

AF-system
The 7D Mk II has 65 AF-points: 1 high-precision dual cross-type AF point and the rest are still cross-type points.
According to this list the “90D” will only have 45 AF-point. That is considerably less.
Also: no mention of the type of AF-points means that it can be less cross-type AF-points (although that may be unlikely).

More important is the customization that the 7D Mk II has - and that any action camera: the range of AF Areas that can be selected, such as Single Point Spot AF, Single Point AF, 4-point AF Point Expansion, 8-point AF Point Expansion, Zone AF, and Automatic AF Point Selection, Large Zone AF. This, together with the AF Area Select Lever makes it fast and easy to change the AF Area as you shoot. Again, a feature required to cope with changing conditions during action photography. It is very unlikely that the “90D” will get that – why else call it “90D” and not “7D Mk III”.

Controls and Ergonomics
Perhaps a bit less important, but because it is called “90D”, the size of the body will no doubt more resemble the 80D than the 7D Mk II. Ergonomics are important for an action camera, to be able to make available the controls and displays in such a way that that can easily be operated and/or seen. That requires enough room, and therefore ‘size matters’ also here.

Note:
It is quite possible that the “90D” will get dual DIGIC 8 processors. But if this potential is not used to improve on the ability to track and predict moving objects, than this feature has no meaning for action photographers. Especially this is an area where improvements over the 7D Mk II were hoped for/expected.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well let's hope for a 7DIII that also includes GPS (just like 7DII), supports both CF and SD slots and 65 AF points with f/8 support for most of them. 12fps and a 24 to 28 Mpixel sensor with improved high ISO performance would be more than enough. Also 10 * 32.5 = 325 and 12 * 28 = 336 mpixel per sec so it's doable with a dual Digic 8. What makes me worry is that the dual DIGIC and the dual cards make it a top model so will we also get a 7DIII?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
Well let's hope for a 7DIII that also includes GPS (just like 7DII), supports both CF and SD slots and 65 AF points with f/8 support for most of them. 12fps and a 24 to 28 Mpixel sensor with improved high ISO performance would be more than enough. Also 10 * 32.5 = 325 and 12 * 28 = 336 mpixel per sec so it's doable with a dual Digic 8. What makes me worry is that the dual DIGIC and the dual cards make it a top model so will we also get a 7DIII?

I think that the last months have shown that the "7D Mk III" is unlikely.

I think this spec list for a "90D" implies that there will be no "7D Mk III" .
Unless Canon does something very un-Canon-like and come with a revolutionary set of improvements in the "7D Mk III" as opposed to the usual incremental improvements........

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0