Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Wow! Are these cropped?

Nope straight WiFi direct from the camera untouched.
Also had a backlit eagle go past. It nailed focus every time. Crappy photos I know but I was just looking for something to test the focus tracking on.

Attachments

• C3E960D2-DBED-4DC3-B2BD-4CAFCF07F788.jpeg
    C3E960D2-DBED-4DC3-B2BD-4CAFCF07F788.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 15AC88BB-C0BB-4BD7-82ED-E3FC33376316.jpeg
    15AC88BB-C0BB-4BD7-82ED-E3FC33376316.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 386
  • C7916128-CCFF-4EC9-B2E8-C2F7DBD29D66.jpeg
    C7916128-CCFF-4EC9-B2E8-C2F7DBD29D66.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 355
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This update gives me hope! What about the freezes after taking a picture (or sometimes at acquiring focus) ? Have they gone? I'm not talking about photo review, but actual micro freezes.
I turned off image review and I get no freezes that I can tell. That was true for me before the update. I can still review images just like I did on the 5D Mark III or like you do on your 6D mark II. I just no longer get the review in viewfinder automatically, like I did before, right after taking a photo. I'm also in continuous AF, but don't know whether that makes a difference.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just part hold down the shutter button between shots and no preview
Or turn review off. To turn off image review, go to the first Shooting menu (with the camera symbol), choose Image Review, and set the review time to Off; this is explained on page 118 of the manual.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes but this way gives you the option, you may want to see the preview and as soon as you touch the shutter button it diaprars
True, but to re-acquire focus, one must let go of the button first anyway. If wanting to shoot faster. He wanted zero freeze.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I tried with birds tonight, with the 50mm, so they were TINY in the EVF. Only to test AF. A black bird against a black background was difficult, but worked with the small single point, but against the brighter sky, it performed admirably . I also shot a tiny bird on a very large lawn, and I got a couple of refocuses with the larger tracking rectangle, but suddenly it turned tiny and focus was dead on the bird. Without zooming in I couldn’t see it, lol. I’m not 100% sure that eye-AF is the better option over face detect for hitting the nearest eye. Because when the square is THAT small, it can’t be as precise, more testing will follow.

Upvote 0

ronno

Pro
Sep 8, 2019
The eye af seems great now. But the biggest improvement for me is the touch and drag. What a huge improvement. Totally usable now.

A thing that i wish they would have fixed is the fake no blackout. There should be an option to turn it off so you can have a normal dslr-like blackout. With the fake one you have no clue of where your subject is going. Really frustrating.
You would have no clue where your subject is going with a black out either.
Have you tried turning image review off?
This helps to keep the slide show as brief as possible ;-)

Upvote 0
True, but to re-acquire focus, one must let go of the button first anyway. If wanting to shoot faster. He wanted zero freeze.
Yes and I'm also talking about the stutter during the shot.. super distracting. It can be seen at 7.10:

This is the biggest problem that keeps me from getting an EOS R right now -> see what happens in 5.54:

Can Canon do what Sony does with the new firmware? I mean black frame interpolation instead of persisting the image during the shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
When shooting a carefully staged macro scene, the dedicated macro lens will have a wafer thin depth of field. Without Focus Bracketing, if I've made the artistic decision that I want the entire scene in focus, then I will need to compose, focus, shoot, refocus, shoot, refocus, shoot, etc. Perhaps as many as 40 times or more.

On my (wife's) RP, I simply need to set the bracket to 40 images, compose, and shoot.

Yes, it's still on me to combine them all in post, but the feature itself is useful, and can save time and tedium.

There are also landscape applications as well.

D'oh, I was misreading what this was.

I was reading this for some reason only as the camera processing internally the different focused images.

I wasn't thinking of it as being analogous of taking bracketed exposures.....where in this case, I now understand the camera sets different focus points as you hold the button down..

I have a macro rail system I use for macro stuff, I shoot an image, turn the screw to move the camera ever so slightly...and snap a pick, lather, rinse repeat.

I'd not thought of the camera doing that focus shifting automatically. That's interesting.

But even so, what kind of control do you have over this? How many "slices" of focus can it take and how is set up on the camera?

Even so, if I did shoot the bracketed focus like I would do a set of bracketed exposures for HDR and the like, I'd not want the cameras version of compositing them together, I'd trust the post work on that still to the computer, using Photoshop, Affinity Photo, One1RAW or something even more specialized for focus stacking....which is what I thought this whole thing was about.

LOL....I gotta start paying more attention to what I read here and less on the day job....it distracts me!!
;)

C

Upvote 0