Canon product release

One thing I don't understand about Canon new product release is why there's such a long duration between an announcement and actual stock availability in store. If a product is available in June, why not just announce in June? Wouldn't you think from a business perspective that when an announcement is made, there's press coverage and there's a lot of enthusiasm going on, and thus sales would be strong right around announcement?

I was tempted to buy the efm 28mm. But I figured there's nothing to gain from pre-ordering. Now my enthusiasm died. I am going to wait for review and wait for price drop.

Mar 25, 2011
Generally, Canon products are available in a reasonable time after being announced. In the past, there were some long delays due to earthquake, floods, etc.

The delay often is a result of being unable to build enough units to meet target demand. Canon and other manufacturers like to announce new products at major photography shows, but if manufacturing has not made enough units, the shipping will be delayed.

I expect that 5D MK IV's are now being assembled, but, if the factory runs into problems or delays, then come September, there will not be enough made to start shipping. That's a unpredictable event, but the announcement will come off as scheduled unless there is a disaster that prevents building the new products.

As I recall, the 80D started shipping about a month after the announcement. Considering that they must be loaded in containers, placed on ships, and then moved to warehouses, that's likely a minimum.

Canon is paranoid about leaks of their new products, so they do not ship them ahead of a announcement, unless, of course, its a new calculator :)

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi SunnyVan.
My guess is Canon is a very understanding of the GAS predicament and allows a cooling off period so that you can evaluate your decision and when you do buy it will be an educated purchase and you will likely feel better about the purchase leaving you happy with their product. Satisfied customer rather than dissatisfied customer, something money can't buy. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) yeah right!
What they said.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Hi Graham. You're absolutely right! My GAS is leaking now. Not bloating anymore for this efm. But GAS is building up for 5dmk4. Oh no...

Valvebounce said:
Hi SunnyVan.
My guess is Canon is a very understanding of the GAS predicament and allows a cooling off period so that you can evaluate your decision and when you do buy it will be an educated purchase and you will likely feel better about the purchase leaving you happy with their product. Satisfied customer rather than dissatisfied customer, something money can't buy. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) yeah right!
What they said.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
I certainly understand there's a lot of logistics involved before a product shows up on the shelf. I just kind of wish that the wait is much shorter, say a week or two instead of months.

I think during product development it makes perfect sense to keep everything secretive. But as soon as it's being produced in factories, I think a small leak of information actually helps build up expectation and sales.

In this new information age where all news goes around instantly, is it still necessary to make announcements at trade shows? I kind of doubt that.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Generally, Canon products are available in a reasonable time after being announced. In the past, there were some long delays due to earthquake, floods, etc.

The delay often is a result of being unable to build enough units to meet target demand. Canon and other manufacturers like to announce new products at major photography shows, but if manufacturing has not made enough units, the shipping will be delayed.

I expect that 5D MK IV's are now being assembled, but, if the factory runs into problems or delays, then come September, there will not be enough made to start shipping. That's a unpredictable event, but the announcement will come off as scheduled unless there is a disaster that prevents building the new products.

As I recall, the 80D started shipping about a month after the announcement. Considering that they must be loaded in containers, placed on ships, and then moved to warehouses, that's likely a minimum.

Canon is paranoid about leaks of their new products, so they do not ship them ahead of a announcement, unless, of course, its a new calculator :)

Upvote 0
With my early enthusiasm weaning, I'm going to wait. I thought about giving up 100L and getting the efm 28 in its place. The efm macro can never fully replace the 100L but it's very portable and is likely to be decent enough IQ wise. But then I have such a hard time parting with the 100L. And then I don't really want a duplicate macro lens. To me, it's either 100L or efm macro. If the efm 28 had been available last month shortly after announcement I'd probably have bought it on impulse. Now that my head is sane I decided to wait and see.

thetechhimself said:
No disagreement with your rationale.

I'm still excited over it, and have preordered it. A small, light, cheap and IS with built in LED macro is a big deal. That IS and built-in light make macro a joy for handheld use.

The tricky part is if it's a popular item, you may deal with back order, just look at the G7X II, great camera, backorder already http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-g7-x-mark-ii

BH shows coming availability, but not existing availability.

If you're remotely excited still, you may want to consider a preorder, but, it may be too late now as preorders are fulfilled first come first serve basis.

The other reason for announcement prior to shipping is production. Also, I suspect Canon is going to be releasing more EF-M products soon and wants to spread them out so the attention isn't all on the same product. The 28mm is a first in many respects, in weight, built in macro light, and infinity zoom. Canon is proud of the product, and probably doesn't want it competing for attention from other equally impressive products awaiting announcement soon is my guess in this case.

In the case of other products, it's to reduce cross sales, IE if you know a 7DIII is coming, you won't buy a D500 for example.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
It makes perfect sense for Canon to announce the product prior to shipping, although it can be frustrating for a consumer who, at the time of announcement says "shut up and take my money".

Even if Canon has 100% of production complete at the time of announcement, it will take around 50-60 days (rough estimate, many factors in there) via standard ocean freight to go from the East Asia warehouse to a distribution facility in on the East Coast USA. There are many parties involved in transit who would be aware of the new product if the announcement was held off until hitting US distribution facilities, word would get out, this would steal the thunder of any official announcement from Canon.

Upvote 0
Marketing is emotional manipulation.
Anticipation is an emotion.
Seems to have an effect on you.

There is no reason to start the Christmas hype the day after Thanksgiving, but every store in America does it. It has some benefits - there is no way I could watch Rudolf, Charlie Brown, and the Grinch, do the office party, bake the Christmas ham, hopefully go sledding, then the old friends parties, midnight mass, decorate the tree, open presents, and take down the tree all in one day.

Traditions and habits don't have to make sense or be efficient.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
When is the new Hasselblad Camera that was just announced going to be available?

" Hasselblad plans to offer demos of the system in July, with delivery to customers in August."

Two to three months is typical.

In the case of Hasselblad, you are dealing with fewer units at a much higher price (compared to typical DSLR releases), they can probably justify air freight which can save 2-3 weeks in the supply chain.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Retail sales strategies.

Announce, so those who might be considering a competitor stop their pursuit.
Build demand through the "hands on review" by selected industry experts

Satiate the maximum demand w/ the opening higher price than 12/24 months later will rebates are needed to move product. Happiest if initial supply is just a wee bit short of orders - keeps prices high. Really unhappy if initial supply is significantly above demand (Original M).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Generally, its not smart to announce a new product before its ready. Look at Nikon, delaying delivery of their new cameras for a second time, this time due to component shortages caused by the earthquake.

When you announce early, it virtually stops sales of the current product, so you must drop prices drastically to sell it. Sometimes, there is a reason that makes sense, such as a totally new product that is announced early to dampen sales of a competitors product.

If there are no disasters, production glitches, or the like, Canon deliveries usually start ~two months after the announcement.

Upvote 0
Canon is paranoid about leaks of their new products, so they do not ship them ahead of an announcement, unless, of course, its a new calculator :)

I think you have it there. I think sometimes they don't even make them in quantity before announcement. They're probably just trying to stop up information leaks, and have got carried away IMO.

Upvote 0
Hope you receive it soon. And please post some pictures and your review. Have fun.

thetechhimself said:
Sunny,

Speaking of the devil, the 28mm macro, immediate backorder; I placed my order REALLY early, it should've shipped.

Translation to english, real launch date 1-3 months from now, except the backorder doesn't say how long the backorder is, so could be longer.

So, we have one more sales strategy for the books, indicate a ship date, and then when the day comes, it flips into backorder for the real date.

Shameful; Nikon would be proud of their marketing, makes them look like they're shipping product first when in fact they're just as bad with 6 month waits...

Upvote 0