Flap on 5D IV near battery compartment

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Hi all
I was wondering why there is a rubber flap next to the battery compartment in the 5DIV. It doesn't seem to serve any good purpose. On my one I'm finding it open from time to time which is a real weather sealing concern. With the flap open water would get into the battery. It looks very poorly designed.
The 7DII gas it too but it's never opened on me.

May 11, 2017
Hector1970 said:
Hi all
I was wondering why there is a rubber flap next to the battery compartment in the 5DIV. It doesn't seem to serve any good purpose. On my one I'm finding it open from time to time which is a real weather sealing concern. With the flap open water would get into the battery. It looks very poorly designed.
The 7DII gas it too but it's never opened on me.

See p530 of the 5DIV manual, which is available online. Flap is to allow a space for the cord to the AC adapter which fits into the battery compartment.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Virtually every DSLR has one, I first used it with my 40D so I could run live view for hours. My 5D MK IV has that slot in use right now with a AC adapter powering the camera in my studio. A similar AC adapter arrived for my SL2 today by coincidence. I could not see the rubber plug in my SL2 and delayed buying the dummy battery until I read the manual and found the almost invisible plug.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
MrFotoFool said:
So did my 5D3 have it in a different spot that I was unaware of?

Its always near one outside corner of the battery compartment. All cameras that use the LP-E6 battery have it in the same location. Sometimes it is a tight fit and matches beautifully, in Hector's case it may be a part that shrunk or distorted during the molding process, just a tiny amount can make it fit loosely.

I'm pretty sure that Canon would send a replacement (assuming its user replaceable) if he asked.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hector1970 said:
Thanks everyone - interesting. I'm not convinced it's a great design feature but I can see now the purpose. It's definitely a weak point from a weatherproof.

Try calling Canon customer support and ask them if they can send a replacement part, or if not, send it to them. You should not have to use a product if the seal is not working properly.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Mine is also prone to open. This is a design miss: the rubber flap extends past the battery door. On previous cameras, the battery door protected the end of the flap in such a way that you could only open the flap with the battery door open. Attached picture shows flap, from left to right, on the 70D, 5DmkII, 5DmkIV.

Attachments

• 20171102_074358.jpg
    20171102_074358.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 195
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
hne said:
Mine is also prone to open. This is a design miss: the rubber flap extends past the battery door. On previous cameras, the battery door protected the end of the flap in such a way that you could only open the flap with the battery door open.

Yes, I've noticed the same problem on both the 5D4 and the 7D2. I can't see any logical reason for the change.

The 80D, which was launched before the 5D4 but after the 7D2, has the 'old' but better design.

Upvote 0