EOS 5D Mark IV - the crippled generalist

unfocused said:
Those complaining about the 5D IVs frame rate forget something very important. The 5D IV is used extensively by wedding and other event photographers who need the quietest shutter possible. As the 1DX II demonstrates, frame rate and silence are mutually exclusive. Increase frame rate and you increase noise. It's perfectly logical that Canon would keep the frame rate down in the 5D series in order to allow for a quieter shutter. (Yes, I'm sure product differentiation has something to do with it as well, but there would be a lot more whining on this thread and others if the 5D IV came anywhere close to the 1D X II in shutter noise.)
This is a good and likely reason why Canon would intentionally limit the frame rate. Unfortunately, for this generation, I think the only FF camera with a faster fps than the 5DIV will be the 1DxII.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
j-nord said:
dak723 said:
For those that think the 5D IV can't do anything you want, I feel sorry for you. If you need the best spec numbers, maybe you ought to rethink why you own a camera.
Clearly you don't shoot action, particularly where the action is out of your control. Frame rate matters to catch the right moment. Can you catch that right moment with a low frame rate camera? Yes of course but you need to burn more frames, have more re-dos, and a bit of luck. Wildlife and sports don't typically allow you repeat attempts to get peak action shots.

Yeah, how did I and other photographers ever manage to shoot sports or other fast-moving subjects, and catch peak action – like a Hail Mary TD reception – when the frame rate was determined by how fast our thumbs could push a lever? Like you say, it must've been burning lots of frames (on our 36-exposure memory cards), asking the refs and teams for do-overs, and luck. :eek:

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
j-nord said:
dak723 said:
For those that think the 5D IV can't do anything you want, I feel sorry for you. If you need the best spec numbers, maybe you ought to rethink why you own a camera.
Clearly you don't shoot action, particularly where the action is out of your control. Frame rate matters to catch the right moment. Can you catch that right moment with a low frame rate camera? Yes of course but you need to burn more frames, have more re-dos, and a bit of luck. Wildlife and sports don't typically allow you repeat attempts to get peak action shots.

Yeah, how did I and other photographers ever manage to shoot sports or other fast-moving subjects, and catch peak action – like a Hail Mary TD reception – when the frame rate was determined by how fast our thumbs could push a lever? Like you say, it must've been burning lots of frames (on our 36-exposure memory cards), asking the refs and teams for do-overs, and luck. :eek:
Antagonistic 1DX birder ::)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
tron said:
neuroanatomist said:
tron said:
Mikehit said:
To be fair, the differences between the 5DSR and the 5DS are so slight that many wondered if it was even worth paying the additional £300 for the 5DSR. The differences are there if you look for them side-by-side but I think it shows how small the difference actually is.

As for your other points, adding 2fps and adding 100% larger raw buffer would add cost to a camera already deemed by many to be too expensive. Way to go to creating a commercially successful camera, eh!!
So yes, it may well be 'a stretch'
But it would improve its use in birding so I am not so sure that it would be welcomed. As an example:How many have bought the cheaper 5Ds vs 5DsR ?

Amazon.com sales rank right now, 5DsR is at #61, 5Ds ($200 cheaper) is at #335.

FWIW, the 5DIV is at #2 (obviously not comparable as it's new). I guess people don't know it's 'crippled'. ::)
I don't know either. Just got a 5D4. But to tell the truth I made some moderate to high iso tests with 400DO II and I did not check the sensor yet. I will try to check it today.
And... it's crippled :mad:
It's the first time that something like that happens to me. I am frustrated. I was going to take it to a small vacation that involved bird shooting. True the issue wouldn't exhibit in photos but to be on the safe side I packed it to ensure it remains in new condition.

I have also included a screenshot in the specific thread:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=31076.msg632556#msg632556

I hope the seller will tell me to ship it back...

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Not sure if this is the best video example, lot of caveats here before you should watch this video.

This was shot at local gym, so poor-ish light. Settings: 1/200, F2.2, ISO1600.

Shooting 1080p60. Slowed down by 4x in PP, so playback is 15 fps. Also cropped roughly 50% on both axis, so 25% of the resolution really, and then resampled back to 1080p.

Plus the person holding camera (I was shooting stills) wasn't doing super good on holding the camera stable, so the camera swings around quite plenty. I didn't do any PP video stabilization.

And I didn't bring my Zoom so I just dropped audio completely and replaced with generic youtube soundtrack.

Enough excuses why this doesn't look that good? I hope so, here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSnxJBRYoj4

Upvote 0