How to Annoy a Photography Snob

#12: Watching DigitalRev videos :p

For this, I'd rather actually have a list and maybe a few sentences around each one.

Although #5, P mode... I sorta agree if you have anything above a 70D or so. At least learn enough to use Av or Tv if you're going to spend that much money. Rebel or other entry-level SLR/ILC, sure, ok if you just want a more capable camera than a phone or bottom level P&S.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I just love to come here and gush about a Sigma lens....especially when it's better than the Canon counterpart....You can just feel the "L" Groupies getting nervous tics...they try to express their opposing opinion (...the "rendering" in the "L" is more to my liking...) with tact...but you can just feel their indignation right thru your keypad.....I guess I don't understand the Fanbois groupie thing....but it is entertaining. 8) 8) 8)

Upvote 0
I'll admit to having snobby attitudes about photography, but I try not to impose them on others. Or even let them show in public. But I also use "A" and "S" at least as often as I use "M" mode, so I can't be THAT snobby. Most often this snobbery manifests as mentally criticizing photos; e.g., "hmm, you really thought that portrait was ok lit from behind with no fill?" or "might have been better without all the motion blur," or "what the hell kind of framing is that?"

The other temptation I try to avoid is the, to use a Vonnegutism, the "granfalloon." I.e., in my case the temptation to simultaneously create a bond with another photography enthusiast as such, and show off my knowledge of equipment and/or technique. I recently resisted the temptation to comment on a friend's Facebook-posted image thusly: "Great image. Shot with EF-S 10-22mm, great lens. I can tell from the shape of the flare."

Upvote 0
dawgfanjeff said:
I have to try REALLY hard no to tell people they are holding the lens "wrong", i.e, with 4 fingers ON TOP of the lens, not underneath.

A friend of mine does that (and it looks really stupid to me) but there's no way he's changing his technique because the 'right' way is uncomfortable for him. No matter how often I told him he gets a less stable grip, and the tendency of zoom rotation to tip the camera. Not being a snob, just trying to help - but I gave up. ::)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Drizzt321 said:
Although #5, P mode... I sorta agree if you have anything above a 70D or so. At least learn enough to use Av or Tv if you're going to spend that much money. Rebel or other entry-level SLR/ILC, sure, ok if you just want a more capable camera than a phone or bottom level P&S.
If someone wants to own a 1DX or 5D MK III and use it in P or Auto mode, why not, its their their money and their choice ... when more people buy high end DSLR's, its better for the manufacturer and the customer - they get volumes and we get lower prices.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
infared said:
I just love to come here and gush about a Sigma lens....especially when it's better than the Canon counterpart....You can just feel the "L" Groupies getting nervous tics...they try to express their opposing opinion (...the "rendering" in the "L" is more to my liking...) with tact...but you can just feel their indignation right thru your keypad.....I guess I don't understand the Fanbois groupie thing....but it is entertaining. 8) 8) 8)
How dare you sir? ... don't you know that there is a commandment that says "thou shalt not question L supremacy"? ;D

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Rienzphotoz said:
Drizzt321 said:
If someone wants to own a 1DX or 5D MK III and use it in P or Auto mode, why not, its their their money and their choice ... when more people buy high end DSLR's, its better for the manufacturer and the customer - they get volumes and we get lower prices.
Joe Buissink is a $10,000+ wedding photographer, he shoots almost exclusively in P mode.

Once you understand what the camera is doing you should be able to shoot in any mode and get exactly the same exposures. It is just finding a balance between what you have the time and inclination to set, and what you leave to the camera to work out, shiftable P, Av, Tv, and M are all the same especially if you understand and use exposure compensation.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
mrsfotografie said:
dawgfanjeff said:
I have to try REALLY hard no to tell people they are holding the lens "wrong", i.e, with 4 fingers ON TOP of the lens, not underneath.

A friend of mine does that (and it looks really stupid to me) but there's no way he's changing his technique because the 'right' way is uncomfortable for him. No matter how often I told him he gets a less stable grip, and the tendency of zoom rotation to tip the camera. Not being a snob, just trying to help - but I gave up. ::)
Last weekend, I went out to the desert with the local natural history group and saw a huge guy with muscles on muscles, shooting with a big Nikon D4 + 800mm lens, holding them with just one hand ... obviously he was showing off to some of the ladies there, who were gushing with amazement about how he could carry all that weight with just one hand ::) ... the guy saw me with my Canon 70D + 100-400 L IS and told me how inadequate it was for birding ... he recommended that I switch to Nikon and a big a55 lens like the 800mm, he said that 800mm was the minimum focal length required for bird photography ::) ... when I told him that I cannot afford such equipment, he generously offered to give me his Nikon D4 for free, "as he already got the D4S in Kuwait" (all this happened in front of some nice looking women) but the moment the women went their way, this guy takes his Lexus 4X4 and disappears into the desert - needless to say, I still haven't got the D4 ::)

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
mrsfotografie said:
dawgfanjeff said:

Last weekend, I went out to the desert with the local natural history group and saw a huge guy with muscles on muscles, shooting with a big Nikon D4 + 800mm lens, holding them with just one hand ... obviously he was showing off to some of the ladies there, who were gushing with amazement about how he could carry all that weight with just one hand ::) ... the guy saw me with my Canon 70D + 100-400 L IS and told me how inadequate it was for birding ... he recommended that I switch to Nikon and a big a55 lens like the 800mm, he said that 800mm was the minimum focal length required for bird photography ::) ... when I told him that I cannot afford such equipment, he generously offered to give me his Nikon D4 for free, "as he already got the D4S in Kuwait" (all this happened in front of some nice looking women) but the moment the women went their way, this guy takes his Lexus 4X4 and disappears into the desert - needless to say, I still haven't got the D4 ::)

Darn! When I saw the underlined part, I thought you linked a snapshot of this guy holding the camera+lens combo.
Next time, try to keep the ladies around until he fulfills his promise (oh, and take a photo!).

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
sagittariansrock said:
Rienzphotoz said:
mrsfotografie said:
dawgfanjeff said:

Darn! When I saw the underlined part, I thought you linked a snapshot of this guy holding the camera+lens combo.
Next time, try to keep the ladies around until he fulfills his promise (oh, and take a photo!).
I tried to take a photo, but he was too close for my 100-400 lens and couldn't focus on the show off guy. I did think of holding my 70D+100-400 with just 2 fingers, so the ladies would stick around, but I couldn't ;D

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Jim Saunders said:
As much as Kai is a little abrasive at times I have learned from their videos, and the three of them (he, Lok and Alamby) add up to better chemistry than a lot of contemporary TV. I wonder how they are off-camera, I'm pretty sure Kai is hamming it up a lot.

Jim
I agree. Some people don't like them but I find their videos entertaining ... they are not pretending to teach you or make you into a professional photographer ... its meant to be informative and funny, which works well for them ... that's the reason why they are the number 1 photography video channel on youtube and many professional photographers participate in Kai's videos, especially for the "cheap camera challenge" videos. From what I hear Alamby left the show and all the new videos for the past few months only show Kai & Lok.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
sagittariansrock said:
Rienzphotoz said:
mrsfotografie said:
dawgfanjeff said:

I tried to take a photo, but he was too close for my 100-400 lens and couldn't focus on the show off guy. I did think of holding my 70D+100-400 with just 2 fingers, so the ladies would stick around, but I couldn't ;D

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0