Lucky 1DX II Owners- lenses used and comments please?

J.R. said:
PeterAlex7 said:
Please post some pics with 135L if you don't mind :)

I have the 135L and plan to shoot with it tomorrow morning. Will share the photos.

marvelously nice if you ask me.. will post some pictures for you when i get back in studio.. the IDXII is a revelation ..... since switching over from the 5D3.

Upvote 0
1dx2 slowed down fps with 70-200l2 to wait for lens to get in focus when shooting fast moving horse in training. Af was tuned to focus rather than to release. Probably it wont happen with 100-400l2. I will try next time. Maybe fine tuning af will help, i will see during summer. Quick changes in af menu did not help a lot. There is no good af case ready from its menu that suits horseriding well- fast moving subject with no sudden changes in speed, no changing af points, usually no obstacles( if rider is alone on the course) but changes in direction. Problem started when horse riding circle-at one point side movement which translates into towards you movement.
Interesting to see that lot are upgrading from 5d3.

Upvote 0
robbyjai said:
J.R. said:
PeterAlex7 said:
Please post some pics with 135L if you don't mind :)

I have the 135L and plan to shoot with it tomorrow morning. Will share the photos.

marvelously nice if you ask me.. will post some pictures for you when i get back in studio.. the IDXII is a revelation ..... since switching over from the 5D3.

Post a lot please if you dont mind, just curious how an old lens perform with this brand new camera ;)

Upvote 0
=======update==========
...............I meant to say ...also
1. the bokeh looks quite good .. on a zoom lens...
2. I usually dont post peoples pics... I randomly grab... this was a test...
...but...because the first shot..and it was so good I had to share it.
the Lady...looks like she owns a yacht....pretty stylish..
and yet she is here .. watching her kid..... that's REAL stylish - IMO
I liked seeing the beautiful kids focus on their sport.. and they worked hard to get to this final day.. impressive and impressivly organized - IMO

=======end update==========
got my 1dx2 last week - that monday or tuesday
- once had a 1d3 / currently use a 5d3 - so I had SOME idea what to do.
did not shoot video.

but I had 10 shots on it when I showed up to shoot a middle school track meet in the rain.
one nite of reading/setting...

I used the 100-400 mk II for this track meet...
which I did quickly dial-in a bit ..maybe 2-3 clicks ...on ?100mm
as they warmed up for an hour in the morning I learned a bit about the system

I have my very first shot here as crowds arrived.

the 100-400 is as sharp and maybe as fast as the 5000-10000 lenses - IMO
and the 1dx2 files are quite smooth. these two together are pretty darn good.

thru the meet I tried to get grandson and friends in races - I had 70% success..
all ..me...user mistakes..trials of features...

when it did lock on - it seemed to keep it
the action stuff improved gradually.

this is the first shot... which for my eyes shows the file quality of the body and clarity of 100-400 lens.

just loved the ability to lock anf hold the kids in relatively steady motion use case #1 and #4 settings

this is they all looked when I set them up properly..user issues for sure....70% keepers for action at first.. got better..still tuning myself and camera.

///
then when home... I sat on the porch and 'calibrated/tested ' my lenses..

I shot car license plates in clear sun, high speed..trying to read the little stickers at 30-40 mph
as they passed
what I saw in general was the new 100-400 II and 35L II were very fast, sharp, accurate
the 100-400 (MA=3-4 clicks) is a steal IMO...and the 35L II ( 4 clicks needed) is beyond the other 35s around
(just sold my sigma Art 35 1.4 - which pleased me to no end...but I could see the diff on the cameras little screen - stunning)

what woke me up was how the 24-105 struggled to be in the same class... as a GP lens I liked it..
the clarity speed not there...same with the 85L II - although not a speed focuser...it awaits a modern Canon replacement with I.S. I hope..
or the 135 f2 I sold ...darn it...
...but now I am so spoiled. The 100L macro not quite up to those tasks but sharp(no microadjust needed)

my Tamron must return for the update - no live view function..the 1D spits it out (packing it now)

//

my conclusion:
I need a 24-70 f2.8 (but waiting for I.S.) or best of all - a new 24-105 f4 mk II...please.

again the 100-400 is as good as it gets - IMO.
100-400 and 35L ..in same class as the 1dx2
//

thats my story... I like the brick...dont mind the weight too much
thinning my lens herd - 24-105 will sit on the 5d3 til I see a replacement.

Tom

Attachments

• 1DX2-first shot.jpg
    1DX2-first shot.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 282
  • 1DX22 - action.JPG
    1DX22 - action.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 260
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
YuengLinger said:
robbyjai said:
I'm getting peculiar issues with the 1DXII with Sigma 35 1.4 Art Lenses.

We used two 1DX II Bodies for a wedding last weekend and came across this weird problem

We get concentric rings around the photos see attached.

originally i thought it was a setting in my camera.... and i couldnt figure it out... even after i reset the camera...

and then it clicked and i realised i was only getting concentric circles when using the Sigma 35 Art 1.4

I then swapped that lens onto another 1DX II body and i got the identical problem also with that body so it seems to be its an issue with the firmware ..

interesting note

- when i downloaded all the files onto our servers and i did a filter for the 35mm 1.4 Art NONE of the photos showed the rings ON the raw images.
- NOT all photos taken with the sigma 35mm showed the Concentric rings on the Body LCD Screen. Only some exhibited this behaviour
- I took OUR the CF card and stuck it in my 5d3 body during the evening of the wedding coverage and noticed when i played back the image ON the 5d3 IT ALSO showed the concentric rings on the LCD Panel ???
- I stuck a 24mm Sigma 1.4 Art on the camera and didnt have issues or the concentric rings
- i could however consistently get the issue with the 2 1DX2 Bodies

Anyone else experienced this ?

over all the camera is a great camera... but this weird concentric circle issue is bizzare

It almost looks as if Canon is "targeting" Sigma. ;D
I am having the same issue as well on my Sigma art 35mm 1.4 and it is on all the pics I am taking with it.
Please let me know if anybody has a fix for it.

Generally speaking, all Canon lenses work flawlessly and much faster than on the original 1DX, in particular the 85 1.2
But I am having difficulties with 3rd party; the sigma shows these circles, while the Tamron 15-30 2.8 is very very slow in achieving focus in video and live view mode, in viewfinder mode it is perfect (better than 1DX) but live view and video mode is a nightmare.
Generally, I can't complain (unless we can't find a resolution for the sigma). The two lenses that drastically improved are the 24-70 f4 (I think mainly because of the in camera lens correction) - focuses very fast and flawlessly and nothing much to fix in post as far as lens correction goes. The second lens is the 85 1.2 - it is like when I moved from 5D III to 1DX, I see that big of a difference. It snaps momentarily and hangs on tight. Both on stills and video. I do run and gun video a lot and this is my preferred lens together with the macro 100 L and both are happy with the new body so I am happy too. It is the main reason I didn't go for the C100.
I will have a chance to put it in real world only in two weeks and will see how good it is when I exaggerate by shooting at 1.4 on the 85 (I shoot mainly at 2.0 but for fun I will try singing faces at 1.4 and see).

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
tpatana said:
Besisika said:
I am having the same issue as well on my Sigma art 35mm 1.4 and it is on all the pics I am taking with it.
Please let me know if anybody has a fix for it.

I think it was already mentioned it's the peripheral illumination setting. Just disable that and you're good.
Thanks,
I just saw that on the other topic. That makes me a happy new owner.

Upvote 0

focusfirm

Photographer and reluctant videographer
May 26, 2016
Marietta, GA
For photos, I am getting good results with the Canon 24-70mm 2.8L Mark II lens. Video works, but the noise from the lens appears in the video soundtrack, even when using an attached microphone (the noise is lower in volume, but still readily heard). I bought the Canon 24-105 IS STM lens, which is very very quiet. Great for video, except does not have the wide aperture. Photos with this cheaper lens are not as nice as the L lens.

The Tamron 24-70 2.8 IS lens works for photos, but in live view mode, I sometimes get the message on the LCD that I should attach a lens to the camera. Well, that is not a good sign! :mad:

Upvote 0
PeterAlex7 said:
How about with 135L? This is one of the oldest L lenses, is it still great with the 1DX II ?

I saw the 135L can't maintain it's sharpness when attached to 5DSR. I don't know whether caused by megapixel or newer technology.
Tried this combo @ my local dealer. This lens is working fantastic with the 1DX II. AF worked flawless without MA and the sharpness and bokeh is comparable to my 1DSMIII. I'm spoiled now by the IQ of the 1DX II even if my MIII is no slough either up to 800 iso.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
scottkinfw said:
Congratulations to all who have received a new 1DXII.

I would like to know if anyone has looked at lens performance with the new body. Specifically, has anyone looked at performance of the 70-200 f4L IS VS the 70-200 f2.8 II? How do the lenses perform in terms of focusing speed, is, and image creation?

Also, anyone like to comment on lenses used on your new camera? How do your favorite lenses compare to other camera bodies that you were shooting.

Thanks, I'll be eager to hear of your real world evaluation.

sek

My 1DXII arrives today! It will be delivered to my office. This will be the first day in a long time I look forward to going to work. I will be shooting a wedding Saturday so I can't wait!.

sek

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Crapking said:
1D2X2581 by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Another 135L/f2 at ISO 5000, 1/800 - another example of how this camera / lens helps in a poorly lit HS gym
No focus hunting/misses (Case 1, AI servo, 4 point expansion)

Wow, for ISO 16000 and here I wait for my self imposed fall deadline. It's a big investment that brings a certain reservation but all the examples help remove that.

Jack

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
nvsravank said:
I have been using it with the 85L and single shot AF with face detection is good. Some missed shots as I am taking pictures of a 3 year old. AI servo was better. Not one missed focus. All shot at f1.2.
So happy camper here.

So Close and yet so far.

Got my brand spanking new 1DXII but it can't access any of my CF cards and won't let me format them. It won't accept a formatted card from my computer or 5DIII.

What a buzz kill.

Any suggestions? I am waiting for support from Canon.

Thanks.

sek

Upvote 0