New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Re: New Rebel & EF 11-24 f/4L USM Coming Shortly

Which is why I'm looking forward to getting the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more versatile and half the (rumored) price of this Canon 11-24 f/4. Supposedly it was designed to resolve Sony's coming 50mp sensor and is incredibly sharp.

Upvote 0

canon1dxman said:
It looks nice but I rarely use such a w/a and have a Sigma 12-24, bought new (worth about £300 now) that will suffice. Doubt if there will be a dramatic improvement over the Sigma.
The resale on Sigmas sucks and I had the 12-24 II but miss it. I could see a good deal of improvement over the Sigma, which is effectively a 12mm f/11 prime with lots of distortion and a fair amount of CA. I didn't find the other focal lengths and apertures to be very good. Don't get me wrong, it's an incredible lens, but I could see a lot of improvement in a product that retails for 3x as much.

Upvote 0

rrcphoto said:
Twisterfiddler said:
meanwhile, there's an excellent EF-S 10-18 for crop cams selling at $ 299 , WITH image stabilisation AND with STM .. seriously....

you're not seriously comparing a full frame 11-24mm with a APS-C DX 10-18 are you?

Actually, now that you point that comparison out, since the 7D2 appears to have narrowed the ISO/IQ gap between full frame and APS-C to something below 2 stops. You do have to make a calculation. I wouldn't bother with the 10-18, but look at Tokina's 11-16 f/2.8. That lens, which I own, plus a 7D2, which I also happen to have sitting here, would set you back $2.3k, which is a trip to Mongolia less than the new Canon 11-24. And you'd be within about a third of a stop in IQ at 11mm all things being equal, and some wide open spaces to shoot to boot.

Theories remaining as to why this lens may be about to exist:
- New 50mp sensor is glass greedy; will come out in next 1-3 years; and we'll all say, "aaaaaaah."
- A coterie of photographers can't abide owning a lens that isn't made by Canon and/or can't abide the shame of possessing a crop sensor.
- People will pay (my money's here).

Now, the Rebel is interesting, if only because it'll reveal a little bit about the marketing strategy going forward. Too bad we know nothing other than a few new controls. I will say that the addition of slr-style controls makes a lot of sense, even at the low end, as the competition against Rebels is much more the POS/mirrorless/mft sort of stuff, and showing off some hardware sets it apart. When you see a Rebel tricked out with the joystick and new focus mode selector from the 7D2, then you'll know the slr fight against mirrorless is really fully engaged.

Upvote 0

CarlMillerPhoto said:
Which is why I'm looking forward to getting the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more versatile and half the (rumored) price of this Canon 11-24 f/4. Supposedly it was designed to resolve Sony's coming 50mp sensor and is incredibly sharp.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this one! I wonder what the price would be for the Tamron.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

Scott,
At nearly $3k, the expectation will be high. Can't wait to see MTF charts.

Dylan

scottkinfw said:
Dylan, that is exactly my question.

Sek
Dylan777 said:
IS on current 16-35 f4 works extremely well at 1/10ish or slower.

Wonder why Canon didn't apply IS on this lens? $3300 - $3500 f4 IS sounds a bit better.

Upvote 0

PVS

Jul 12, 2013

Small recap: Canon makes the widest rectilinear 2.5X zoom lens with fixed f/4 aperture and everyone and his sister complains about the price and the lack of IS. Goddamn, MTV ain't what it used to be.

Seriously, I'd rather complain about Apple bringing only marginal improvements in their iPhone cameras, but this? It's a one of a kind lens, if you can't afford it - just walk away.

And everybody complained about the price if 24-70LmkII and lack of IS, but I don't see price dropping that much - because it IS the best 24-70 in every mount. Bought one, didn't regret it.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

PVS said:
And everybody complained about the price if 24-70LmkII and lack of IS, but I don't see price dropping that much - because it IS the best 24-70 in every mount. Bought one, didn't regret it.

I wanted one. Because it doesn't have IS, I didn't buy one or consider buying one, and I never will. I have too many 1 second to 1/4 second shots on my 24-105 to give up the IQ that goes with being forced to shoot at three stops higher ISO because of this glaring error.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany

*I* also don't understand all the nagging on this fabulous lense. A rectangular native 11mm f4 prime on full frame would be a smasher. The old 13mm of Nikon is a rare lense, costs a fortune, is tripple the size and even only @f5.6 (google!). And here we get even a Zoom with autofocus... for 3 grands.

If you can't afford, don't buy it. On Leica you pay more for a primitive 50mm f2.8 standard. And no ones cares.

Then we read a lot of cheap APS-C lenses (EF-S 10-18) which is nothing even close to a full frame lense and even if we compare it to fullframe it would be a 16mm, only. I think this lens will be worth every cent, for people knowing what to do with it... an no, landscapes are not the meaning of a wide angle lens (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm).

Maybe the lense even has a filter-slot on the lensback... so this is also a nice feature which I miss on my 14mm 2.8(no Canon-L). This would help a lot of people using Infrared, grey or coloured filters in the field. And to the IS-wanting crowd... I don't think that it's needed to implement an IS into a 11mm lens, because, if you can't handhold 1/10th of a second you should have more serious problems otherwise. The IS would also be useless on moving subject and if I think about the optical formula, the lenselements in the IS-Group is maybe something around 5-10 mm in diameter. Nice try to get this small piece precicely controlled in small angles.

When I now think how they managed it to get it to work on a 44mm focal flange, than I have respect to the ingeneering of it. I'm honestly waiting for the first examples... ;)

Upvote 0

canon1dxman said:
It looks nice but I rarely use such a w/a and have a Sigma 12-24, bought new (worth about £300 now) that will suffice. Doubt if there will be a dramatic improvement over the Sigma.

I sold my Sigma 12-24mm because my copy is very soft. I actually am very interested in this Canon EF 11-24mm lens. Hopefully the price tag will be about 2.5K.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany

I wanted one. Because it doesn't have IS, I didn't buy one or consider buying one, and I never will. I have too many 1 second to 1/4 second shots on my 24-105 to give up the IQ that goes with being forced to shoot at three stops higher ISO because of this glaring error.

Why don't you buy the 24-70L4 IS? The 4 stop IS should easily give you the advantage of real 3 stops to an f2.8 lense... if you need. The 35 mm on the long end shouldn't be a showstopper. On the other Handy, you could use Primes instead, even with IS. For the 24-70 L 2.8 II you can get a 24mm 2.8 IS, a 28mm 2.8 IS, a 35mm f2 IS and so on ;)

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014

StudentOfLight said:
LukasS said:
Lee Jay said:
LukasS said:
I wonder how big would be DOF if that lens would be 2.8 - would that even be usable?
Hyperfocal distance would be only 4.71 feet at 11mm and f/2.8.

Thanks. For some street shooting (people closeups rather than whole scenes) should be enough.
I wouldn't use 11mm rectilinear lens for closeup pictures of people. Their heads would look stretched towards the corner of frame, their noses would look huge and ears tiny. For more natural looking people it is better to use a fisheye if you need to work close-up. Have you tried the Samyang 8mm fisheye on a APS-C body?

Yeah, you're absolutely right, but seeing used very often 16-35 for this, also saw few people with Nikons UWA (10-24 I believe). With that much "real estate" you have at your disposal I wouldn't worry about corners. Also they may create additional dramatic effect.

I'm not into that wide UWA, so no, but that Samyang lens is very popular.

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014

Lee Jay said:
Seems like you don't know what hyperfocal distance is. This means everything from half the HD to infinity would be acceptably sharp for a modest print like an 8x10 handheld.
You're right, had general concept of the term, frankly never applied it (I'm not landscape photographer).

Upvote 0

PVS

Jul 12, 2013

Lee Jay said:
PVS said:

I see what you're saying but in that case may I offer you some classical photography tools such as TRIPOD or just bumping ISO on your camera?

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

PVS said:
Lee Jay said:
PVS said:

Increasing ISO 3 stops to compensate for lack of IS costs A LOT in image quality. Carrying a tripod on travel is a non starter.

I see what you're saying but in that case may I offer you some classical photography tools such as TRIPOD or just bumping ISO on your camera?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Lee Jay said:
PVS said:

I have never once thought my 24-70 2.8Mk2 needs IS. Does all photography before the advent of IS suck? Technology may help your work but it isn't necessary. You are the greatest piece of gear.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

slclick said:
Lee Jay said:
PVS said:

I have never once thought my 24-70 2.8Mk2 needs IS. Does all photography before the advent of IS suck? Technology may help your work but it isn't necessary. You are the greatest piece of gear.

Which would you prefer, an ISO 3200 shot or an ISO 25,600 shot?

Upvote 0