No EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Replacements in 2017 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We get asked a fair bit about the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R and whether or not we can expect replacements any time soon. We’re told that we won’t be seeing a replacement for either camera in 2017, but that there is obviously plans for another high megapixel DSLR.</p>
<p>We do think these cameras will likely be replaced by a single model in the second half of 2018.</p>
<p>Canon has shown us a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/demo-of-canon-250mp-sensor-and-turbulence-removal-feature/">250mp CMOS sensor</a> as well as a <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-developing-8k-cinema-eos-camera-120mp-dslr-8k-display/">120mp CMOS sensor DSLR</a>, with a variation of the latter being more likely to end up in a consumer DSLR. We have no information as to what the megapixel count would be for an EOS 5DS Mark II, but it will likely be a significant jump from the current 50.6mp.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
Canon has shown us a 250mp CMOS sensor as well as a 120mp CMOS sensor, with a variation of the latter being more likely to end up in a consumer DSLR. We have no information as to what the megapixel count would be for an EOS 5DS Mark II, but it will likely be a significant jump from the current 50.6mp.
did CR forget that canon did a 120MP DSLR development announcement?

I'd be surprised if it was anything but 120MP.

"Featuring a resolution of approximately 120 effective megapixels, the SLR camera now being developed will incorporate a Canon-developed high-pixel-density CMOS sensor within the current EOS-series platform, which will realize compatibility with the Company's diverse interchangeable EF lens lineup."

http://global.canon/en/news/2015/sep08e2.html

Upvote 0
mclaren777 said:
I was thinking about your recent comment on the rumored 85mm IS...

If you know more about it, why wouldn't you tell us? Your business model revolves around leaks and hype, yet you seem to be sitting on accurate intel. Are you perhaps under some form of NDA?

If you think about it it's incredibly easy to come up with a plausible scenario. An NDA is certainly one of them but more than likely it was a source who asked for the information to not be posted yet - perhaps such a leak at that point could leave them vulnerable. And in the reporting game, you never burn a source. That would be a short-sighted gain for a long-term loss.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
mclaren777 said:

If you know more about it, why wouldn't you tell us? Your business model revolves around leaks and hype, yet you seem to be sitting on accurate intel. Are you perhaps under some form of NDA?

Of course things are under NDAs :)

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:
Canon has shown us a 250mp CMOS sensor as well as a 120mp CMOS sensor, with a variation of the latter being more likely to end up in a consumer DSLR. We have no information as to what the megapixel count would be for an EOS 5DS Mark II, but it will likely be a significant jump from the current 50.6mp.

"Featuring a resolution of approximately 120 effective megapixels, the SLR camera now being developed will incorporate a Canon-developed high-pixel-density CMOS sensor within the current EOS-series platform, which will realize compatibility with the Company's diverse interchangeable EF lens lineup."

Yes, I linked it in the post. Canon shows lots of things at the Canon EXPO that never actually become a consumer product the way they're shown. There's also no guarantee that the DSLR they showed at the Canon EXPO would be a replacement to the EOS 5DS series.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
mclaren777 said:

An NDA for a rumors site owner sounds somewhat contradictional :)

Jokes aside - bad news, but nothing unexpected actually... the demoed 120 mpx sensor was aps-h, not ff, so maybe we will see something different, the 120mpx one would require a significant IS update. If they just make the v2 with the same s sensor but adc on chip, it would make me totally happy.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Jopa said:
mclaren777 said:

An NDA for a rumors site owner sounds somewhat contradictional :)

Jokes aside - bad news, but nothing unexpected actually... the demoed 120 mpx sensor was aps-h, not ff, so maybe we will see something different, the 120mpx one would require a significant IS update. If they just make the v2 with the same s sensor but adc on chip, it would make me totally happy.

I'm not under NDA, but this is for fun, not to get people in trouble. An EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is coming this year, pricing hasn't been set and we don't have an exact announcement date. I'm not sure what other information people want beyond that.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
mclaren777 said:

1) CR guy didn't have to tell us that they knew more, so I actually appreciate their transparency with this.

2) Could be their source asked for CR to sit on certain details as they were so well guarded that releasing them would 'out' the source's identity.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Regarding no 5DS / R follow up this year:

This makes sense based on Canon being a relatively predictable creature of habit. Canon has a plan and they stick to it. Review any Canon historical release schedule and you'll see Canon does not fast-track FF follow-ups.

There was a notion they might break from that rule to 'catch up' the 5DS / R to come out on/around the timing of the 5D line so that they'd have apples-to-apples feature sets without missing the boat on a major features (consider the 5DS / R lacks DPAF, DP RAW, on-board WiFi or on-chip ADC). But it appears from this rumor that isn't going to happen.

- A

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Re: EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Replacements - 60 MP

Despite the majority opinion here, I don't see Canon bringing out a 120MP EOS in 2018. Canon are always a very conservative company and tend to elaborate on existing designs rather than make huge leaps into the unknown.

The sensors in the 5DS and 5DSR are basically scaled up versions of the 7DMkii sensor. That sensor is now outdated and has been superceded by the much better 24MP sensor found in the 80D. I think it more likely that the 5DS Mkii will have a scaled-up 80D sensor, i.e. 60MP.

I would also expect just a single model, with a cancellable AA filter. This tech is already being tested in the 5DMkiv, which has a user-selectable "Digital Lens Optimiser" which, among other things, cancels the effect of the AA filter.

At the moment this tech has a few bugs - using DSO in the 5DMkiv results in a 2-3 second buffer clearing time (with JPEG or RAW), rendering continuous drive useless when it is enabled. Hopefully this problem will be resolved soon with a firmware update.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Regarding the next 5DS having 120 MP:

I would not hold your breath on that. Even if Canon holds off the 5DS / R follow up to 2019+ timeframe (as we'd expect from the 4-5 year cycles we've seen of late on FF SLRs), consider what a 120 MP rig would drive...

• When the 5DS / 5DS R came out, Canon only recommended certain lenses for it. They didn't purge large chunks of the EF portfolio from it, but the message was clear -- only certain lenses would let you make the most of the added resolving power of the sensor. Now imagine how short a lens list we'd see for a 120 MP canvas.

• 120 MP would have a ridiculously low frame rate -- say 2.1 fps on the current 5DS's data handling ability. Even projecting to 2019, two DIGIC chips might only get you 3 fps, which is (to some) below a floor of usability for many realms of photography. (Can Canon put 3 DIGIC chips in a body?)

I'm not saying a 120 will never happen -- I'm arguing 120 is not the logical next step for high resolution FF for Canon. I expect the 5DS2 to have far less than 120 MP.

- A

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:

I can't wait for another round of

TERRIBLE HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE , I ONLY VIEW PIXELS NOT PHOTOS

THIS CAMERA IS USELESS WITHOUT A TRIPOD MADE OF SOLID OAK

Edit: Oh , lest I forget

IF YOU USE THAT LENS ON IT THE PHOTO WILL BE WORSE THAN THAT LENS ON A 5D3

Upvote 0
  • ahsanford said:
    [*]120 MP would have a ridiculously low frame rate -- say 2.1 fps on the current 5DS's data handling ability. Even projecting to 2019, two DIGIC chips might only get you 3 fps, which is (to some) below a floor of usability for many realms of photography. (Can Canon put 3 DIGIC chips in a body?)

Likely they could, but the battery life would be dismal and my 5DS is not exactly setting the world on fire with it's battery life as is.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
Yes, I linked it in the post. Canon shows lots of things at the Canon EXPO that never actually become a consumer product the way they're shown. There's also no guarantee that the DSLR they showed at the Canon EXPO would be a replacement to the EOS 5DS series.

except the products that show in the expo aren't backed by an official development / press announcement either. however the 120MP DSLR was.

Upvote 0
tr573 said:
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:

I can't wait for another round of

TERRIBLE HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE , I ONLY VIEW PIXELS NOT PHOTOS

THIS CAMERA IS USELESS WITHOUT A TRIPOD MADE OF SOLID OAK

Edit: Oh , lest I forget

IF YOU USE THAT LENS ON IT THE PHOTO WILL BE WORSE THAN THAT LENS ON A 5D3

Light gathering is light gathering, just because each pixel has more 'noise' doesn't mean the net image will suffer. 2x2 sampling = 4 pixels gathering light to represent 1 pixel, and 120MP becomes 30.

That said; I'm baffled at Canons choice of 30.4MP on the 5D IV as opposed to 39.3MP

For those confused as to why I said that. 4K.

If you're still confused; 7680x5120 with 2:2 sampling is 3840x2560 (or 3840x2160 after the aspect ratio correction.)

I get it; 5D IV isn't meant to be focused on video; but... yeeeeah... really had to go with 30 instead of 39?

On a side-note; what ever happened to the year of the Tilt-Shift?????

Upvote 0
Andyx01 said:
Light gathering is light gathering, just because each pixel has more 'noise' doesn't mean the net image will suffer. 2x2 sampling = 4 pixels gathering light to represent 1 pixel, and 120MP becomes 30.

5DS/R has been out for almost 2 years, and there's still plenty of people not convinced of that. Good luck trying to talk sense into them.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I'm not under NDA, but this is for fun, not to get people in trouble. An EF 85mm f/1.4L IS is coming this year, pricing hasn't been set and we don't have an exact announcement date. I'm not sure what other information people want beyond that.

Everybody, it's very much this - my wife used to work at AMD on the Xbox1 chip, and I absolutely knew things about the development of it that, if I had leaked on the gaming websites, would have been traceable to a small group of people. You just don't do it (if you're smart).

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
I don't see the point of using 120 Mp on a 35mm DSLR camera. The slight vibration from the mirror slap and shutter movement would blur the image at the pixel level. Having to use mirror lockup on every shot kind of negates the reason to have a DSLR. Maybe a mirrorless studio camera would have some utility in the commercial market. I could also see some uses in robotic imaging for some manufacturing processes. How many of you have a use for such a high res camera?

Upvote 0