Original boxes - to keep or not to keep? That is the question.

Jan 21, 2011
I wanted to get some views on the forum about whether there is much benefit in keeping original packaging - mainly with a view to influencing resale value.

For lenses, these are unlikely to get sold, as they have a much longer period from purchase to replacement, but that is generally less true for bodies. As a result, my thinking is that there may be some benefit in keeping the original boxes from bodies, but not from lenses.

Any thoughts?

gmrza said:
Sporgon said:
From my experience in Britain the original box adds about 10% to the second hand value.

Nice to see a quantification.

Where I was heading was that I will probably keep the boxes for bodies, but not lenses, as the lenses are likely to be kept for at least 10 years or more.

Even if you keep your lenses a decade or longer, the boxes will still increase resale value. I keep all of mine.

Upvote 0
Couple of different takes on this.

1. I've always been suspicious of anyone selling stuff with the original packaging. It suggests to me they did not intend to keep it to begin with. Perhaps they're running a buy/sell business on the side or it's just a wheeler-dealer.

2. When I sold a 100-400 lens I shipped UPS. They did not want to insure it for $1500 unless I had the original packaging. They said that's a policy with all high-end stuff they move. They only trust original shipping containers no matter how well you pack it. That in itself is reason to keep the original stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
gmrza said:
I wanted to get some views on the forum about whether there is much benefit in keeping original packaging - mainly with a view to influencing resale value.

For lenses, these are unlikely to get sold, as they have a much longer period from purchase to replacement, but that is generally less true for bodies. As a result, my thinking is that there may be some benefit in keeping the original boxes from bodies, but not from lenses.

Any thoughts?
I keep everything including sale receipt - lenses + bodies, even PS cameras. Resale value is higher when you have all these.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:

1. I've always been suspicious of anyone selling stuff with the original packaging. It suggests to me they did not intend to keep it to begin with. Perhaps they're running a buy/sell business on the side or it's just a wheeler-dealer.

This is true, and at least with lenses and lighting I'm quite happy selling stuff if I want to try something different; I might lose a little but it is usually small compared to actually renting it. In any case a reliable BS detector is the first step, I know there are shifty sellers out there everywhere.

Jim

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
gmrza said:

Any thoughts?
I keep everything including sale receipt - lenses + bodies, even PS cameras. Resale value is higher when you have all these.

A BIG plus one to that!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
distant.star said:

On the contrary, having the original packaging suggests that you're the legitimate owner, as opposed to having stolen the gear from someone on the street or out of their car, hotel room, etc.

distant.star said:
2. When I sold a 100-400 lens I shipped UPS. They did not want to insure it for $1500 unless I had the original packaging. They said that's a policy with all high-end stuff they move. They only trust original shipping containers no matter how well you pack it. That in itself is reason to keep the original stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Not just selling - sending in for service, too!

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
It's total BS but a dimwitted reality. I just lost a sale on my 135 f/2 because there was no original packaging. Huh?

Same story for all sorts of products when it comes to sell-time. My son knows that games, game consoles and accessories sell a whole lot better if there is pristine original packaging involved.

Fortunately we have a surplus of storage space, but for a photographer living in a tight apartment, keeping a dozen or so empty boxes, for possibly years, does become a real issue. I did read a definition of intelligence as being "the ability to differentiate between relative importances". So when in doubt, throw 'em out.

-pw

Upvote 0
Old pic. But ya, I keep my boxes. And prefer to buy used with a box.

boxes-L.jpg

Upvote 0
Positive benefits of keeping packaging.

1. Less packaging material will be needed when you resell it. And the original box packaging is highly compact and might reduce shipping costs.

2. Packaging (or a receipt) will suggest that it's not stolen.

3. Keeping the packaging also makes it more likely to retain peripheral items such as battery covers, viewfinder covers, manuals in other languages, cables, etc.

4. The person you sell it to will also reap all of these same potential benefits of having the original packaging.

At some point, most of my camera gear will eventually be sold. I tend to think of body and lens packaging as being worth about $35-50 each. You better believe I'm gonna find a space somewhere to store $300-400 worth of packaging

Upvote 0
gmrza said:

Any thoughts?

WRONG!

Especially keep it for the lenses. It matters more for lenses than bodies even. You get more value for sure. People like to have the original boxes and they were also designed to take shipping abuse and help offer a lot of extra shipping protection which also makes buyers more willing to bid high.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
On the contrary, having the original packaging suggests that you're the legitimate owner, as opposed to having stolen the gear from someone on the street or out of their car, hotel room, etc.

This is exactly why especially on Craigslist and Ebay 2nd hand. Matching serial #s on the lens/camera and the box w/ blank warranty card, and if you have the original receipt an extra bonus.

To prevent the reselling and purchasing of stolen goods, plus when you sell it helps with the shipping of the camera/lens! Keep the original packaging!

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
Sporgon said:
From my experience in Britain the original box adds about 10% to the second hand value.

Nice to see a quantification.

Where I was heading was that I will probably keep the boxes for bodies, but not lenses, as the lenses are likely to be kept for at least 10 years or more.

Wrong way to think. In fact, some people thought like that way back when the 50mm 1.0L came out and now the box itself, with no lens, supposedly will sell for a couple hundred!

Upvote 0
distant.star said:

I've never heard that from anyone else. I've heard the opposite plenty of times though.

Upvote 0