Patent: Canon EF 135 f/2L w/Apodization Filters

Rowk

I'm New Here
Jul 26, 2017
12
1
Greetings everybody!
Wouldn't that Apodization Filter kill the magic of the 135L ?
When I look at Sony 135 STF images...somehow I think that the bokeh is missing character.
Yes it's blurry, but to me it looks kind of boring, sterile, unspectacular - I can't really explain that.
It's just unsharp, nothing more...same thing with Sigma's 135 Art.

While images from the Canon 135L show something that's enchanting me.
There's like a soft swirl in the bokeh that I really enjoy!
But it's certainly a matter of taste.

It's 2017 and I want a 135mm lens...but what to buy? For a 20 years old lens, the 135L is still pretty expensive.
I might be patient enough to wait for the new 135L and would appreciate IS on that focal length, but after reading this I'm afraid it won't only be sharper but also lose some of it's magic. :(
 

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
714
0
34
Prague
Rowk said:
Greetings everybody!
Wouldn't that Apodization Filter kill the magic of the 135L ?
When I look at Sony 135 STF images...somehow I think that the bokeh is missing character.
Yes it's blurry, but to me it looks kind of boring, sterile, unspectacular - I can't really explain that.
It's just unsharp, nothing more...same thing with Sigma's 135 Art.

While images from the Canon 135L show something that's enchanting me.
There's like a soft swirl in the bokeh that I really enjoy!
But it's certainly a matter of taste.

It's 2017 and I want a 135mm lens...but what to buy? For a 20 years old lens, the 135L is still pretty expensive.
I might be patient enough to wait for the new 135L and would appreciate IS on that focal length, but after reading this I'm afraid it won't only be sharper but also lose some of it's magic. :(
There is nothing wrong with current 135/2L lens. You can get it for a good price either new or even better preowned for under 600 €. IS would be handy, agreed, but not entirely necessary...
 

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Khalai said:
There is nothing wrong with current 135/2L lens. You can get it for a good price either new or even better preowned for under 600 €. IS would be handy, agreed, but not entirely necessary...
CPS loaned me one and I am quite taken with the images it produces. Its too long for my practice but a wonderful, affordable, L lens.
 

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
714
0
34
Prague
hmatthes said:
Khalai said:
There is nothing wrong with current 135/2L lens. You can get it for a good price either new or even better preowned for under 600 €. IS would be handy, agreed, but not entirely necessary...
CPS loaned me one and I am quite taken with the images it produces. Its too long for my practice but a wonderful, affordable, L lens.
I've been thinking about buying 135/2L for a long time, but with my 70-200/2.8L IS II, that would make a rather redundant setup. And I'm not giving up that white marvel anytime soon :)
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,150
1,425
Khalai said:
I've been thinking about buying 135/2L for a long time, but with my 70-200/2.8L IS II, that would make a rather redundant setup. And I'm not giving up that white marvel anytime soon :)
I had both for a while, but sold the 135/2L for that very reason.