Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV by Lensrentals.com

douglaurent said:
This forum will be interesting in the years 2020-2030, when all the Canon customers who are happy with the current limitations have to become very angry, as Canon by then over the years had implemented all those features of the competitors. All of you please store my wish list from today, so you have a "feature removal" list at hand in the future you can send to Canon - because focus peaking, sensor stabilization etc are really devil's work.

I am a happy person now and in the future, as depending on the project I will use a 5D4, 1DX2, A7R2, A7S2 or other cameras I own, which means any minute I can already work with all relevant features - just not all of them in the same camera, which is inconvenient sometimes. The missing features are much more inconvenient for those who only have access to one camera, or the cameras of one brand.

At the same time I feel sorry for all who don't see any necessity to put pressure on manufacturers, and pay the highest possible prices for intentionally limited products. Maybe someone could answer me which disadvantage you see for the Canon consumers, when someone asks Canon to implement features of their competitors? Any camera includes dozens of features an individual user will not need, so where is the problem?

You do realize that if Canon would implement everything that is on YOUR Wishlist, the camera would cost probably 1000-2000$ more than its already pretty high price? For that price they would sell probably about 90% less units. In MY view, this is neither in Canons interest nor in the interest of most of the users. Maybe you are part of the really really small minority that would pay the premium for these features, but from what I read here at CR and elsewhere, other users are already unhappy with the current price (but usually NOT unhappy with the feature set).

There is actually not a single item on your list that I would want/need. My only personal critique with the 5D4 (haven't used it) is the choice of cards. No CFast or other fast medium really is a bad move. Other than that, I think it's a great all-round camera, and that's what it is supposed to be! If you want to film professionally, by all means, buy a professional video rig.
And judging from your wishes, as others already pointed out, just buy a Sony and be happy. :)

Of course all users and buyers have different wishes and use-scenarios, so probably no one will ever be entirely happy, but it's a pretty decent rig judging from the specs (and my experience with the 1DX2).
Just my 2c.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
douglaurent said:
Hell no, NOBODY on the planet did rant about the 5D4 because anybody expected "a camera that can shoot medium format quality images, with the speed of a Canon 1DX Mark II, and the video functionalities of a RED Weapon"!!!

People rant about the 5D4 because it doesn't have many features that cheaper and older camera products of competitors offer, like:
- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- EVF reviewing and filming
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Fully assignable buttons
- Third wheel for ISO
- APS-C Crop Lens compatibility
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Hot Shoe multi use for audio etc
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K shooting in real Full Frame
- 4K shooting in any zoom range between Full Frame and the middle 8 MP crop
- 4K in 3840 width
- 4K with efficient codec
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

The worst thing is that Canon just did release their best flagship cameras with the 5D4 and 1DX2, that have to last until 2020 with a big gap in specs, as the follow ups of the 6D and 5DsR will hardly include anything of a long list of convenient and modern features. At the same time you can expect that Sony will come out with a new camera until 2017 that merges the best specs of the A99II and A7RII, who are both not having a nearly equally long list of missing features compared to the 5D4.

The times have changed. In 2008 the 5D2 was alone on the market with its set of features and offered (unfortunately by chance it seems) more than people expected, which is why the feedback was 95% positive. Now we have 2016, and subjectively 50% of all people are disappointed about the 5D4, because Canon still acts as if they just have to be a bit better than Nikon and nothing else, like in the last decades.

YOUR POST IS SPOT ON
i have no complaints bout the 5d4 i dont shoot video like i have before so im not worried bout the 4k crop bs
i have wide angle lens for it though so im covered just my macbook hd will not even touch the super huge 4k files unless canon changes the codec asap

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
Shh....... Do anyone hear that? Someone is screaming out loud that his demands represents the majority. Nah....maybe I'm just hallucinating.

The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is marketed as a DSLR stills camera that happens to also have video capabilities. Just enough video features for those who need to take some quick clips with the camera he got on hand. If you need equipment to produce video professionally, Canon also provides the quite capable EOS Cinema line introduced a few years ago. Yes, it might still lacks some features but at least most stuff on it works reliably, like what a Canon product should do. I really love the word "Market Segmentation", because it makes sense for a business. If you run a profitable one, then you absolutely understand what it represents.

Canon do things differently. Nikon do things differently. Sony tried to do a lot of things differently. Pentax is at his own corner doing his own stuff differently. Fuji makes different stuff differently. etc etc. If a company serves you better, you're better off at their camp.

Empires rise and fall, and maybe, just maybe, Canon will meets its doom by 2020. Why does it matters to you like its death will equals your death? Canon might become the next Kodak, or the Blackberry of the camera industry. But why must you dwell in decrying the way Canon do stuffs? Yes, they might be slow, they might be conservative, or they might just be trying to deliver reliable products to their intended market (aka absolutely not you). Or......they are deliberately doing a bad job so they can infuriate forum dwellers for their own leisure.

The mass consumer market do hold the greatest vote in the life and death of a company (as repeated by numerous contributors here) and it seems that a lot of people are still satisfied with the status quo as shown by the released numbers.

Requesting for features is not a sin, but repeating your claims on a forum not operated by Canon does not really help anything at all. So why bother repeating yourself like a broken record? Or.....are you really just a broken record?

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
Your red comments do explain why YOU don't need these features. Many other people like and need these features, which is why many bought an A7R2 that already includes most of my list. If you think change and progress is bad, you think against the nature of the planet, business and markets.

Conversely, your comments show what only YOU want/need, many other people don't want or need them. ;)
Obviously, you are a pretty small minority (according to Canon, otherwise they would have implemented at least some of the features).
Sure, progress it good and important (and Canon shows that, eg with the implementation of DPRAW (something that is, at least for me, completely unnecessary)), but only when I get a well functioning product.

Upvote 0
arcer said:
Shh....... Do anyone hear that? Someone is screaming out loud that his demands represents the majority. Nah....maybe I'm just hallucinating.

The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is marketed as a DSLR stills camera that happens to also have video capabilities. Just enough video features for those who need to take some quick clips with the camera he got on hand. If you need equipment to produce video professionally, Canon also provides the quite capable EOS Cinema line introduced a few years ago. Yes, it might still lacks some features but at least most stuff on it works reliably, like what a Canon product should do. I really love the word "Market Segmentation", because it makes sense for a business. If you run a profitable one, then you absolutely understand what it represents.

Canon do things differently. Nikon do things differently. Sony tried to do a lot of things differently. Pentax is at his own corner doing his own stuff differently. Fuji makes different stuff differently. etc etc. If a company serves you better, you're better off at their camp.

Empires rise and fall, and maybe, just maybe, Canon will meets its doom by 2020. Why does it matters to you like its death will equals your death? Canon might become the next Kodak, or the Blackberry of the camera industry. But why must you dwell in decrying the way Canon do stuffs? Yes, they might be slow, they might be conservative, or they might just be trying to deliver reliable products to their intended market (aka absolutely not you). Or......they are deliberately doing a bad job so they can infuriate forum dwellers for their own leisure.

The mass consumer market do hold the greatest vote in the life and death of a company (as repeated by numerous contributors here) and it seems that a lot of people are still satisfied with the status quo as shown by the released numbers.

Requesting for features is not a sin, but repeating your claims on a forum not operated by Canon does not really help anything at all. So why bother repeating yourself like a broken record? Or.....are you really just a broken record?
+1 :)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
douglaurent said:
Hell no, NOBODY on the planet did rant about the 5D4 because anybody expected "a camera that can shoot medium format quality images, with the speed of a Canon 1DX Mark II, and the video functionalities of a RED Weapon"!!!

People rant about the 5D4 because it doesn't have many features that cheaper and older camera products of competitors offer, like:
- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

The worst thing is that Canon just did release their best flagship cameras with the 5D4 and 1DX2, that have to last until 2020 with a big gap in specs, as the follow ups of the 6D and 5DsR will hardly include anything of a long list of convenient and modern features. At the same time you can expect that Sony will come out with a new camera until 2017 that merges the best specs of the A99II and A7RII, who are both not having a nearly equally long list of missing features compared to the 5D4.

The times have changed. In 2008 the 5D2 was alone on the market with its set of features and offered (unfortunately by chance it seems) more than people expected, which is why the feedback was 95% positive. Now we have 2016, and subjectively 50% of all people are disappointed about the 5D4, because Canon still acts as if they just have to be a bit better than Nikon and nothing else, like in the last decades.

what a moronic post.. basically you're complaining it's not a mirrorless and comparing a camera based upon spec sheets.

what's even more idiotic is that you think you can use a speed booster in a full frame camera.

Upvote 0

arcer

Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
I'm so sorry guys, I tried to stop myself from answering trolls, it's making me an addict. And finally after a short two months, I relapsed. Please forgive me guys. This is worse than having GAS.

Ok, back to the topic.

As Canon does not currently compare their products with Sony, I don't think you will ever see a Sony-spec'ed camera from Canon in your lifetime. It's like comparing the Ferrari 458 with the Ford F-150, it looks cool comparing them both on paper, but in reality, it doesn't really make any sense at all.

Just my 2cents.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
douglaurent said:
This forum will be interesting in the years 2020-2030, when all the Canon customers who are happy with the current limitations have to become very angry, as Canon by then over the years had implemented all those features of the competitors. All of you please store my wish list from today, so you have a "feature removal" list at hand in the future you can send to Canon - because focus peaking, sensor stabilization etc are really devil's work.

I am a happy person now and in the future, as depending on the project I will use a 5D4, 1DX2, A7R2, A7S2 or other cameras I own, which means any minute I can already work with all relevant features - just not all of them in the same camera, which is inconvenient sometimes. The missing features are much more inconvenient for those who only have access to one camera, or the cameras of one brand.

At the same time I feel sorry for all who don't see any necessity to put pressure on manufacturers, and pay the highest possible prices for intentionally limited products. Maybe someone could answer me which disadvantage you see for the Canon consumers, when someone asks Canon to implement features of their competitors? Any camera includes dozens of features an individual user will not need, so where is the problem?

You really are an intellectual minnow.
Nobody that I can see said that they are happy with the current limitations. What they have said is that they see no pressing need to implement the additions you so badly need to the point where they believe (as you do) that Canon is doomed as a commercial proposition.
Neither has anyone said that Canon will NOT implement the changes you requested. Simply that Canon see no imperative to implement them now. You are clearly unable to understand that piece of logic.

I am a happy person now and in the future, as depending on the project I will use a 5D4, 1DX2, A7R2, A7S2 or other cameras I own, which means any minute I can already work with all relevant features - just not all of them in the same camera, which is inconvenient sometimes.

You say you are happy carrying all these cameras around - so what are you whining about?
But I trust you have been on the Sony forums telling anyone who will listen how incompetent Sony are for not putting everything in one camera so you only need carry one body with you. How they are so short-sighted the company is doomed to failure by deliberately crippling their products.

At the same time I feel sorry for all who...pay the highest possible prices for intentionally limited products.

Do you feel sorry for yourself for using a 5D4 (which you say you are happy using)? What an odd little boy you are.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
arcer said:
I'm so sorry guys, I tried to stop myself from answering trolls, it's making me an addict. And finally after a short two months, I relapsed. Please forgive me guys. This is worse than having GAS.

Two months before falling off the wagon? I'm proud of you, I wish I could say the same for myself.

Upvote 0

arcer

Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
unfocused said:
arcer said:

Two months before falling off the wagon? I'm proud of you, I wish I could say the same for myself.

Haha, thanks. That's what happens when you're too busy taking photos and cataloging and post processing, than going troll hunting on this forum for the summer.

Disclaimer: I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER AND I LIKE WHERE CANON IS GOING WITH THE 5D4.

Upvote 0
arcer said:
unfocused said:
arcer said:

Haha, thanks. That's what happens when you're too busy taking photos and cataloging and post processing, than going troll hunting on this forum for the summer.

Disclaimer: I AM A PHOTOGRAPHER AND I LIKE WHERE CANON IS GOING WITH THE 5D4.

+1

I like your signature phrase below: Shoot more, whine less.
We should all take that to heart....some maybe more than others ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2016
douglaurent said:

- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

I don't care about anything on that list. Not one thing. So I guess the 5D4 was made specifically for me. Thank you Canon!

I'm going to happily keep making photos without "app installation" etc. Let other cameras do that.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I do a lot of hiking and traveling with my dog, and I must say that after using the camera now for 2 weeks, I am quite disappointed. I don't like to rant and whine, because I do understand that my wants are not everyone's wants, but if I can't share my thoughts here on CR, where can I?

I agree with those who think the Canon 5D IV's spec list is really lacking (I won't say crippled) - especially for those who use the camera on field trips, hiking adventures and vacations in the woods. Here's my list:
-retractable toothbrush
-nail file
-mini flashlight
-folding scissors
-can or bottle opener
-screwdriver
-saw (manual or power)
-insect repellent canister (refillable)
-dog poop bag holder
-tissue dispenser
-flare launcher

I am sure there are even more items that Canon could have added, but we all know how conservative they are. I was really hopeful that these items would be included in the spec list for the 5D IV, but now it looks like I will have to wait until at least 2037 or so, when the Mark V comes out. Stupid Canon!

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
I do a lot of hiking and traveling with my dog, and I must say that after using the camera now for 2 weeks, I am quite disappointed. I don't like to rant and whine, because I do understand that my wants are not everyone's wants, but if I can't share my thoughts here on CR, where can I?

I agree with those who think the Canon 5D IV's spec list is really lacking (I won't say crippled) - especially for those who use the camera on field trips, hiking adventures and vacations in the woods. Here's my list:
-retractable toothbrush
-nail file
-mini flashlight
-folding scissors
-can or bottle opener
-screwdriver
-saw (manual or power)
-insect repellent canister (refillable)
-dog poop bag holder
-tissue dispenser
-flare launcher

I am sure there are even more items that Canon could have added, but we all know how conservative they are. I was really hopeful that these items would be included in the spec list for the 5D IV, but now it looks like I will have to wait until at least 2037 or so, when the Mark V comes out. Stupid Canon!

Bravo!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
dak723 said:
-can or bottle opener

Actually they've had that feature for quite some time, the left hand strap lug 8)

FWIW my list of things I'd have like to have seen on the 5div

8fps RAW with a 4sec buffer. (I know it's close but if I'm honest it's annoying me)
A mechanical switch lock on the lens release button - when in the off position the button works as is, slide to on position and the button cannot be pressed in. (yeah I'm paranoid)

Are those deal breakers, no. The price is but I was never going to buy in the first year anyway.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I hope the mods are working hard to determine who is using multiple accounts, because we have a poster, a very annoying one, who is trying to dominate this thread with the same rants she uses in many other threads, and, I'm very sure, providing her own support by using other NEW names to chime in. I've seen this same pattern now for months; I believe one or two persons are using about six different names.

Maybe it's beyond the mods ability to detect multiple accounts; if so, can the forum software be updated to help with this?

Makes for very uneven, frustrating reading of the threads.

One of the tell-tales is that the NEW name joining the thread is a photographer with a world class resume, having worked for the biggest publications, courageous under fire--but still coming here anonymously to make snarky, ridiculous assertions supporting the equally ridiculous huffing and puffing of the person who is constantly making the same rants.

Upvote 0
that1guyy said:
So many dinosaurs in this room.

I'm having deja vu. Endless discussions years ago with older people on film vs digital SLRs.

The thing is they are old and canon fans. If canon gave them a turd sandwich, they would be perfectly happy and go on about how its tasty enough and the pros are not complaining so it should be good and everyone else is wrong because they have been taking pictures for years.

It useless to have a discussion that criticizes the very same thing which they are fanatic about or what they cannot understand.

Me? I own canon. But not a fan. There is a difference. And no, I will not switch to Sony for the time being. (in case some one was writing it already :p )

Upvote 0
Because I'm in the middle of adding a new computer to my herd, and rotating the other two for different duties, I thought I'd take a break, read CR and do that rare thing, chime in on the forum.

Well, like some of the posters here who didn't like the 5D4 (we still love them anyway, right?), I'll present some bona fides. I have been a professional image maker since about 1978, or a little before that - I can't really recall right now. I have shot for the biggest media in the town where I settled - around Detroit - and, as far as national media is concerned, for (sorry if some of you whippersnappers haven't even heard of some of these "dead tree" publications): Time, People, Fortune, Newsweek, Business Week, Money, Forbes, Vogue, Playboy, Ladies Home Journal, Car and Driver, Automobile, Motor trend, Hot Rod, HBO and many, many more, even, at one time having Secret Service credentials to cover a couple of Presidential elections for various Time, Inc. publications. As far as corporate stuff, most of what I do today, let's just say that I've shot for dozens of the very largest corporations in the world and many of their ad agencies as well, mostly shooting people, cars, smaller products, a little fashion, industrial and commercial environments, and general corporate capability.

I've actually been a "producer" and director - but never the camera operator - on some fairly big video productions for some big names like Ford Motor Company, but, currently, as a lone wolf, one-man show with a part-time assistant, I'm entering into a different video category, wearing many hats instead of one. In this new role, I have shot some video for some clients, but I am just starting to truly add video work in a more serious way. I am a pioneer of digital imaging, starting to scan my own large format film and drum scan it in-house for the serious ad-level retouching I did, starting in 1995 or so, By 2002, my studio was almost 100 percent digital capture, using whatever device would suit the job - Nikon or Canon cameras, Phase One backs on medium format, etc.

All that is prologue to this: last week I bought a 5D4. Haven't yet done more than test it for stills and video so far, but it appears to be a great professional tool, just like its predecessors were, only better. Yes, some other cameras may have some nicer video features. They may squeeze out one stop or less additional DR, or a few more megapixels for stills, have zebra stripes and low contrast log settings, but for actually taking pictures and shooting good, sharp and colorful video, this camera seems to be a terrific improvement over the 5D3 and most every other "fx" DSLR or mirrorless out there in its class.

I hate to use a cliché, but if you can't produce beautiful and valuable stills and video that your clients will like and, more importantly, pay for, with this camera, forget the new hardware and take a couple more classes to improve yourself. And, I'm quite sure the 5D4 will be usable in the same way 3 years from now.

Going on about some wish-feature list that this camera lacks simply ignores what it does have - what most people in this part of the photo market actually need. And, if you're sure that some other camera suits you so much better - fine, just buy that one and have a great life!

Well, back to work for me.

Good luck and good shooting to all.

Regards,
David

Don't worry, be happy.

Upvote 0