Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV by Lensrentals.com

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Roger <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/teardown-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/">completed his teardown of the EOS 5D Mark IV</a> relatively quickly, now the folks at Lensrentals.com have completed their review of the EOS 5D Mark IV, and I pretty much agree with their assessment of the camera and its place in the industry.</p>
<p><strong>From Lensrentals.com</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>Heads up, here comes a short rant. Upon the announcement of this camera, it was instantly met with some harsh critics on the feature list of the system. People want a camera that can shoot medium format quality images, with the speed of a Canon 1DX Mark II, and the video functionalities of a RED Weapon – and they want the price to sit under $3,000. Sure, this camera doesn’t have anything and may not have pushed the bounds of the industry, but the Canon 5D series has never been about being revolutionary in features, but being revolutionary in practicality….. <a href="https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/09/lensrentals-com-reviews-the-canon-5d-mark-iv/">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p><strong>Canon EOS 5D Mark IV</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>USA </strong><em>$3499</em><strong>:</strong> <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274705-REG/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://amzn.to/2bk6MtW">Amazon</a> | <a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574981434&toolid=10001&campid=5337955022&customid=&icep_item=172357382724&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg">ebay</a> | <a href="http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/cameras/canon-5d-mark-iv">Lensrentals</a></li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Oct 7, 2013
Hell no, NOBODY on the planet did rant about the 5D4 because anybody expected "a camera that can shoot medium format quality images, with the speed of a Canon 1DX Mark II, and the video functionalities of a RED Weapon"!!!

People rant about the 5D4 because it doesn't have many features that cheaper and older camera products of competitors offer, like:
- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- EVF reviewing and filming
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Fully assignable buttons
- Third wheel for ISO
- APS-C Crop Lens compatibility
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Hot Shoe multi use for audio etc
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K shooting in real Full Frame
- 4K shooting in any zoom range between Full Frame and the middle 8 MP crop
- 4K in 3840 width
- 4K with efficient codec
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

The worst thing is that Canon just did release their best flagship cameras with the 5D4 and 1DX2, that have to last until 2020 with a big gap in specs, as the follow ups of the 6D and 5DsR will hardly include anything of a long list of convenient and modern features. At the same time you can expect that Sony will come out with a new camera until 2017 that merges the best specs of the A99II and A7RII, who are both not having a nearly equally long list of missing features compared to the 5D4.

The times have changed. In 2008 the 5D2 was alone on the market with its set of features and offered (unfortunately by chance it seems) more than people expected, which is why the feedback was 95% positive. Now we have 2016, and subjectively 50% of all people are disappointed about the 5D4, because Canon still acts as if they just have to be a bit better than Nikon and nothing else, like in the last decades.

Upvote 0
I have only one big complaint about the review: it touts the Dual Pixel RAW feature as it's top Pro while the article states this, "So while I wasn’t able to test this feature (yet), I’m looking forward to seeing how it works when it becomes more readily available." I don't think you can [credibly] list a feature that you haven't tested as one of the top assets of the camera.

I agree that the Dual Pixel RAW has potential in the future, but as it stands the feature is pretty close to useless. The differences you can make are so minuscule as to not at all be worth doubling your file size.

I like the 5D Mark IV a lot, but of the reasons that I do like it so far, Dual Pixel RAW is certainly not one of them.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
douglaurent said:
Mikehit said:
YAWN!
The troll just can't help it. Shame that the billy goats of reality have higher IQ.

You got astray in the wrong forum, this one is for Canon users and about the future of Canon products. The forums for offending other people without a reason are elsewhere. Goodbye.

+1

-pw

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
If true, than the price of the Canon 5D Mark IV should come down rapidly and by significant amount. We should also expect a flood of used cameras on eBay offloaded by their disappointed owners. Who is going to neeed such a lacking product for US$3500 when there tons of cheaper and better options around? Unfortunately (for cash limited would be buyers), not true and not going to happen. Wedding photogs will continue vote for the camera with their dollars and value of the camera will hold well in time as it should.

douglaurent said:
Hell no, NOBODY on the planet did rant about the 5D4 because anybody expected "a camera that can shoot medium format quality images, with the speed of a Canon 1DX Mark II, and the video functionalities of a RED Weapon"!!!

People rant about the 5D4 because it doesn't have many features that cheaper and older camera products of competitors offer, like:
- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

The worst thing is that Canon just did release their best flagship cameras with the 5D4 and 1DX2, that have to last until 2020 with a big gap in specs, as the follow ups of the 6D and 5DsR will hardly include anything of a long list of convenient and modern features. At the same time you can expect that Sony will come out with a new camera until 2017 that merges the best specs of the A99II and A7RII, who are both not having a nearly equally long list of missing features compared to the 5D4.

The times have changed. In 2008 the 5D2 was alone on the market with its set of features and offered (unfortunately by chance it seems) more than people expected, which is why the feedback was 95% positive. Now we have 2016, and subjectively 50% of all people are disappointed about the 5D4, because Canon still acts as if they just have to be a bit better than Nikon and nothing else, like in the last decades.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Mikehit said:
YAWN!
The troll just can't help it. Shame that the billy goats of reality have higher IQ.

So true. Trolls seem to think that if they repeat themselves frequently enough, their falsehoods will become true. This rant has been more than sufficiently debunked on other threads, I see no reason why we have to keep hearing it over and over again.

[quote author=troll]
subjectively 50% of all people are disappointed about the 5D4[/quote]

Oh how I long for the good old days of "Karma," when readers could instantly identify a troll by their record.

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:

- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

Sounds like you need a dedicated video camera and not a stills camera with video features. I sure don't need any of that shit in my camera.

Upvote 0
I've been published in National Geographic, Shot for The New York Times, Associated Press etc etc..I was a photojournalist for 10 years and been around the world to super bowls, march madness, politics in Gaza, Bosnia, Africa etc....I don't care if I shoot Canon, Nikon or a Brownie as long as it's the best tool at the time!

For the last 10 years (Ive been a pro photographer for over 20 years) I've shot mostly weddings and corporate events. I need low-light cameras what also autofocus well in low light. I also need video now! My clients want it, my bank account needs it and it's an industry standard in DSLR cameras now.

Today and forever more DSLR cameras will have both (video is just a bunch of stills anyway?) Sony and Panasonic have stepped up the game in this market... Sony's 5 axis IS (even canon's c300 doesn't have this!), it shoots 4k at a reasonable processing codec unlike canon's ridiculous one, both camera's crazy high Mega Pixels are unimportant to me...why do I want my computer and camera to slow down when I'm shooting several thousand images at a wedding? Why do I want to process and store those large of files? with the sony I can shoot 120FPS at full HD and Canon only 60FPS (my iPhone 6plus is better!)...SOny has the 16x9 format I need always while canon is cinema 35mm crop in 4k??? Canon is not allowing companies like Sigma to use their glass correctly on the 5D Mark IV. etc etc...Canon's AF in video with touch screen AF is the only big plus over Sony. (something I'll miss for sure)

Canon is like a lame duck president on it's way out... Looks like I'll be be dropping them and making the switch to the innovator in low light, image stabilization, allowing lenses from all manufacturers, using a reasonable codec, keeping 16x9, ........Canon dropped the ball and isn't going to try and catch up as it makes more video cameras.

No worries... time to invest in the present/future...hello Sony!

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:

- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

Since you seem to just regret 5D4 is not a MILC. you could just say it and move along. It just so happens that the 5D4 is selling by boatloads (and 5D3 still by truckloads...). Like it or not, looks like lots of people are happy with it and its mirror and will continue so for years to come. So, what's the whining?

To me, you're the one on the wrong forum.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
Ryananthony said:
douglaurent said:

- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

Sounds like you need a dedicated video camera and not a stills camera with video features. I sure don't need any of that S___ in my camera.

See thats the problem imo. No you don't. These are features that more or less exist in todays cameras of lesser caliber than the Mark IV. Not in one camera, but that would be a bang-camera if it would have all the features. The Mark IV was the camera I believed would do the trick, once again, like in old times. But it failed for me. Hence: I won't buy it, keeping my Mark III. Its the only way I can "show" Canon to improve (not me alone of course, but sales figures is the feedback they should understand), what other alternative besides talks on trade fairs do I have?
Hybrid is the way these cameras have to evolve or they become obsolete in the future. Videos are shot more and more these days with smartphones with small devices like the gopro or nikon 360 or whatever. Cameras are used for "both" now, like smartphones are used for surfing the net+taking pics+organizer+shooting video. There will always be room for dedicated video cameras for the pro market. But to say to get a hugely expensive video camera just for shooting proper video, knowing that there are devices out there, that can do both, is, at least for me, a statement of yesteryear...

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
M_S said:
See thats the problem imo. No you don't. These are features that more or less exist in todays cameras of lesser caliber than the Mark IV. Not in one camera, but that would be a bang-camera if it would have all the features. The Mark IV was the camera I believed would do the trick, once again, like in old times. But it failed for me. Hybrid is the way these cameras have to evolve or they become obsolete in the future. Videos are shot more and more these days with smartphones with small devices like the gopro or nikon 360 or whatever. Cameras are used for "both" now, like smartphones are used for surfing the net+taking pics+organizer+shooting video. There will always be room for dedicated video cameras for the pro market. But to say to get a hugely expensive video camera just for shooting proper video, knowing that there are devices out there, that can do both, is, at least for me, a statement of yesteryear...
Er...in case you hadn't noticed the 5DIV does have video. The issue comes in that people expect in the 5DIV the same standard of video as they get in top class video machines (as typified by the text in bold).
Sure the Sony has full-whack video but from what I read also has significant heating issues after a short time. Canon has a long history of including functions only when those functions offer genuine advancement and as far as I can see it is no point asking the camera to do professional grade video if you cannot shoot for professional periods of time. Which is shy Canon believes a really, really serious videographer will choose a dedicated machine not a DLSR or mirrorless DSLR-type.

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
douglaurent said:

- Articulating screen
- Silent Photo Shooting
- Sensor stabilization
- Pixelshift
- Focus Peaking
- Zebra
- Third wheel for ISO
- Speedbooster Option
- App installation
- Thumbnail Videos
- Video Log/Raw Mode
- 4K in 3840 width
- HDMI out in 4K
- 4K 60fps
- 240fps Video
- Focus stacking mode

Dear Doug,

I hope you can put your effort, money, and time in writing thousands of letters to all Canon offices that can receive mails, as I think it might be much more effective than sharing your precious opinions on this forums. None here works for Canon directly and it is not likely for any Canon officials to be wandering in this forum often enough to read your insights.

So, I plead that you stop wasting your time here as it will not bring you any fruitful conclusion. Only short-sighted people populates this forum and you don't have the obligation to show them the light. So please, let me repeat it again, give up this dark place which will only make you more miserable.

If in the end, Canon still cannot serve you, then it is fully your right to transfer to another system. Why wait for them to serve you when there are other better choices?

Yours sincerely,
Fellow forum reader

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
eguzowski said:
I've been published in National Geographic, Shot for The New York Times, Associated Press etc etc..I was a photojournalist for 10 years and been around the world to super bowls, march madness, politics in Gaza, Bosnia, Africa etc....I don't care if I shoot Canon, Nikon or a Brownie as long as it's the best tool at the time!

For the last 10 years (Ive been a pro photographer for over 20 years) I've shot mostly weddings and corporate events. I need low-light cameras what also autofocus well in low light. I also need video now! My clients want it, my bank account needs it and it's an industry standard in DSLR cameras now.

Today and forever more DSLR cameras will have both (video is just a bunch of stills anyway?) Sony and Panasonic have stepped up the game in this market... Sony's 5 axis IS (even canon's c300 doesn't have this!), it shoots 4k at a reasonable processing codec unlike canon's ridiculous one, both camera's crazy high Mega Pixels are unimportant to me...why do I want my computer and camera to slow down when I'm shooting several thousand images at a wedding? Why do I want to process and store those large of files? with the sony I can shoot 120FPS at full HD and Canon only 60FPS (my iPhone 6plus is better!)...SOny has the 16x9 format I need always while canon is cinema 35mm crop in 4k??? Canon is not allowing companies like Sigma to use their glass correctly on the 5D Mark IV. etc etc...Canon's AF in video with touch screen AF is the only big plus over Sony. (something I'll miss for sure)

Canon is like a lame duck president on it's way out... Looks like I'll be be dropping them and making the switch to the innovator in low light, image stabilization, allowing lenses from all manufacturers, using a reasonable codec, keeping 16x9, ........Canon dropped the ball and isn't going to try and catch up as it makes more video cameras.

No worries... time to invest in the present/future...hello Sony!

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like the tools are what put you onto magazines, newspaper, and other places. I really hope that you can buy the best tools in the industry and fully rely on them to keep yourself important. Don't let yourself be limited to one system.

By the way, skills are not important anyway, so don't linger on it.

Cheers.

Upvote 0