Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV by Lensrentals.com

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
About the Lensrentals review: Thank you! This is an on the level, sober assessment of Canon's new entry in the extremely solid 5D series.

From what I read, photographers who have worn out their 5DIII will be very happy using the 5DIV. Photographers itching to move up to full frame will be thrilled.

Those looking for included video that rivals dedicated cinema quality cameras will be buying the wrong camera, but for those of us wanting to add video elements to presentations and 90% of event and wedding slide shows, mission accomplished.

Not everybody is going to "get" this review. But people who love photography and have enough hours of passionate experience certainly appreciate it!

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
My only criticism is all of the ranting he does about the menus when shooting video. All you have to do is set up some "My Menus" tabs with the settings that you would regularly change or tweak during a shoot and you're good to go. I set up 3 tabs and that was all I needed for both stills and video. I only go hunting through the standard menus for items that I rarely change...

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
I always find posts like this curious, it's kind of like things those who have not had any experience with the camera say...soooo...here we go

douglaurent said:
Hell no, NOBODY on the planet did rant about the 5D4 because anybody expected "a camera that can shoot medium format quality images, with the speed of a Canon 1DX Mark II, and the video functionalities of a RED Weapon"!!!

People rant about the 5D4 because it doesn't have many features that cheaper (cheaper than what? d810 is around the same price, so is the a7r2. d750 is IMO not a direct competitor)and older camera products of competitors offer, like:
- Articulating screen not everyone wants that, in fact, many are very vocally against it - myself included.
- Silent Photo Shooting ????? normal shutter is pretty quiet, and the silent mode is quieter than the 5d3, not sure what more you want in a dslr
- EVF reviewing and filming don't do video so this is pretty useless to a stills shooter
- Sensor stabilization it is up for debate for sure what is better, IS in body or IS in lens. I'd prefer it in lens, but that's just me
- Pixelshift no need, not ranting about the lack of, didn't even notice it wasn't there
- Focus Peakingno need, not ranting about the lack of, didn't even notice it wasn't there
- Zebra no need, not ranting about the lack of, didn't even notice it wasn't there
- Fully assignable buttons actually, the buttons are way more customizable on the mk4, and tat new little nubby button is really nice
- Third wheel for ISO not really needed
- APS-C Crop Lens compatibilityreally???? this is a very old horse that's been beaten to death too many times. with so few EFS lenses, come on, you sell them off when you move to FF. Do the research and own the purchase
- Speedbooster Option ??????
- App installation please god no, that's what your phone is for - let your camera be a damn camera
- Hot Shoe multi use for audio etc stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- Thumbnail Videos stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- Video Log/Raw Mode stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- 4K shooting in real Full Frame stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- 4K shooting in any zoom range between Full Frame and the middle 8 MP crop stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- 4K in 3840 width stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- 4K with efficient codec stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- HDMI out in 4K stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- 4K 60fps stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- 240fps Video stills focused people aren't complaining about this
- Focus stacking mode this would be neat, and I can see DPRAW evlving to meet this need, but, it's still probably better to complete the stack on your PC rather than in camera

The worst thing is that Canon just did release their best flagship cameras with the 5D4 and 1DX2, that have to last until 2020 with a big gap in specs, as the follow ups of the 6D and 5DsR will hardly include anything of a long list of convenient and modern features. this is totally your opinion, many do find the camera to be quite awesome At the same time you can expect that Sony will come out with a new camera until 2017yup, and in 2018, and in 2019, and in 2020 --- I for one would rather have something with a little more lasting power, as opposed to buying a $3000 camera every year, chasing the greatest spec sheet that merges the best specs of the A99II and A7RII, who are both not having a nearly equally long list of missing features compared to the 5D4.

The times have changed. In 2008 the 5D2 was alone on the market with its set of features and offered (unfortunately by chance it seems) more than people expected, which is why the feedback was 95% positive. Now we have 2016, and subjectively 50% of all people are disappointed about the 5D4, because Canon still acts as if they just have to be a bit better than Nikon and nothing else, like in the last decades.

In summary, have fun with your sony camera's, because it sounds like you just need to buy a sony. I really really hope that the folks at canon are taking the demands of video people with a huge grain of salt, because video folks seem to be really hard to please....

I am very happy with all of my Canon and Sony cameras, but I am sad to see Canon being historically behind its competition regarding features in current cameras - especially when we all know they could offer much more and are the overall best brand.

Your red comments do explain why YOU don't need these features. Many other people like and need these features, which is why many bought an A7R2 that already includes most of my list. If you think change and progress is bad, you think against the nature of the planet, business and markets.

And that is the difference - I am speaking on behalf of myself - I'm not assuming the features I want and need are the thoughts and feelings of the majority - unlike you who assumes that everyone not only agrees but is ranting and raving about this. Yes, there are some who agree with you, an yes, there are others who agree with some of the things on your list, but there are others who have features they desired that aren't on your list - (like one who mentioned C-fast). There are also quite a few who think the 5d3 was so good they don't need the 5d4. And there are others as well that like the 5d4 pretty much as is. The thing of it is, as many here will point out, sales figures do show some tangible evidence that a vast amount of people are still pretty happy with canon products. So, not saying I speak for the majority, but, my opinion on things does seem to line up more with the majoirty of buyers than yours does.

douglaurent said:
This forum will be interesting in the years 2020-2030, when all the Canon customers who are happy with the current limitations have to become very angry, as Canon by then over the years had implemented all those features of the competitors. All of you please store my wish list from today, so you have a "feature removal" list at hand in the future you can send to Canon - because focus peaking, sensor stabilization etc are really devil's work. note, I'm not against your list in it's entirety - but - I don't shoot video ever, and while I do use live view, I am quite happy manually focusing. Would focus peaking help there, yeah, but, I don't see it as a problem that I don't have it, nor do I find my ability to create fine images hampered by the lack of it.

I am a happy person now and in the future, as depending on the project I will use a 5D4, 1DX2, A7R2, A7S2 or other cameras I own, which means any minute I can already work with all relevant features - just not all of them in the same camera, which is inconvenient sometimes. The missing features are much more inconvenient for those who only have access to one camera, or the cameras of one brand. everythings a compromise, if the others brands were that great then why would you have the need to supplement your canon with sony or vice versa?

At the same time I feel sorry for all who don't see any necessity to put pressure on manufacturers, and pay the highest possible prices for intentionally limited products. Maybe someone could answer me which disadvantage you see for the Canon consumers, when someone asks Canon to implement features of their competitors? Any camera includes dozens of features an individual user will not need, so where is the problem?the problem is the same as what I said above, not everyones needs are the same.

Upvote 0
If I had to choose between DPAF and zebras, I'll take DPAF anytime. ;)

Anyway, the true test will be sales and re-sale values, and the Canon will win everytime.
One of the main reasons I choose to use Canons is the colours. No Sony or Nikon even comes close without extra pp and as a pro, I want it to look gorgeous out of the camera, video included.
I don't want to spend extra hours to grade videos and photos. I'm often up till after midnight anyway.

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
douglaurent said:
This forum will be interesting in the years 2020-2030, when all the Canon customers who are happy with the current limitations have to become very angry, as Canon by then over the years had implemented all those features of the competitors. All of you please store my wish list from today, so you have a "feature removal" list at hand in the future you can send to Canon - because focus peaking, sensor stabilization etc are really devil's work.

I am a happy person now and in the future, as depending on the project I will use a 5D4, 1DX2, A7R2, A7S2 or other cameras I own, which means any minute I can already work with all relevant features - just not all of them in the same camera, which is inconvenient sometimes. The missing features are much more inconvenient for those who only have access to one camera, or the cameras of one brand.

At the same time I feel sorry for all who don't see any necessity to put pressure on manufacturers, and pay the highest possible prices for intentionally limited products. Maybe someone could answer me which disadvantage you see for the Canon consumers, when someone asks Canon to implement features of their competitors? Any camera includes dozens of features an individual user will not need, so where is the problem?

You do realize that if Canon would implement everything that is on YOUR Wishlist, the camera would cost probably 1000-2000$ more than its already pretty high price? For that price they would sell probably about 90% less units. In MY view, this is neither in Canons interest nor in the interest of most of the users. Maybe you are part of the really really small minority that would pay the premium for these features, but from what I read here at CR and elsewhere, other users are already unhappy with the current price (but usually NOT unhappy with the feature set).

Canon did release cameras in 2 versions before, like with and without filter, with and without 4K or with and without articulating screen. So why not release a 5D4 in 2 versions? One that's more expensive with more video features, articulating screen, and one dedicated for stills.

Obviously right now stills only shooters do pay too much because the 5D4 does include 4K and many other video related features, so anybody who complains that more features are not necessary and make the camera too expensive should already complain now about the existing 5D4.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
I hope the mods are working hard to determine who is using multiple accounts, because we have a poster, a very annoying one, who is trying to dominate this thread with the same rants she uses in many other threads, and, I'm very sure, providing her own support by using other NEW names to chime in. I've seen this same pattern now for months; I believe one or two persons are using about six different names.

Maybe it's beyond the mods ability to detect multiple accounts; if so, can the forum software be updated to help with this?

Makes for very uneven, frustrating reading of the threads.

One of the tell-tales is that the NEW name joining the thread is a photographer with a world class resume, having worked for the biggest publications, courageous under fire--but still coming here anonymously to make snarky, ridiculous assertions supporting the equally ridiculous huffing and puffing of the person who is constantly making the same rants.

You are wrong. There is indeed more than one person on the planet who is able to do a thorough analysis of the state Canon products are in.

<inappropriate statement deleted by mods>

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
Canon did release cameras in 2 versions before, like with and without filter, with and without 4K or with and without articulating screen. So why not release a 5D4 in 2 versions? One that's more expensive with more video features, articulating screen, and one dedicated for stills.

What camera was releases with and without articulating screen? Really just curious, can't remember anything in that direction. I guess an articulating screen would be useful, especially for macro work, however I would be concerned about the durability...
I guess releasing a video-centric 5D4 would be a way to go, and IIRC there have been some rumors regarding that topic. Maybe you'll still get one. OTOH, I suppose this would be a really small target market (similar as 1DC), and therefore the camera would be really expensive (not necessarily because of the features it has, but due to the small volume). I would assume north of $6000. Out of curiosity: what would YOU be willing to pay for a video-centric 5D4 that has, let's say, 2/3 of that feature list you posted?

douglaurent said:
Obviously right now stills only shooters do pay too much because the 5D4 does include 4K and many other video related features, so anybody who complains that more features are not necessary and make the camera too expensive should already complain now about the existing 5D4.

I agree with you on that price. Not necessarily because of the video features, but I do find it too high, especially in Europa compared to the US (4065€= $4562 vs $3499 at B&H). And I have had that complaint about most of Canons recent releases. But this discrepancy tops all of it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
douglaurent said:
YuengLinger said:
I hope the mods are working hard to determine who is using multiple accounts, because we have a poster, a very annoying one, who is trying to dominate this thread with the same rants she uses in many other threads, and, I'm very sure, providing her own support by using other NEW names to chime in. I've seen this same pattern now for months; I believe one or two persons are using about six different names.

Maybe it's beyond the mods ability to detect multiple accounts; if so, can the forum software be updated to help with this?

One of the tell-tales is that the NEW name joining the thread is a photographer with a world class resume, having worked for the biggest publications, courageous under fire--but still coming here anonymously to make snarky, ridiculous assertions supporting the equally ridiculous huffing and puffing of the person who is constantly making the same rants.

You are wrong. There is indeed more than one person on the planet who is able to do a thorough analysis of the state Canon products are in.

The fact that a few other people agree with your personal assessment does not make it correct. The Flat Earth Society has quite a few members.

As for the statements you made (which I had the misfortune to read before they were deleted by the mods), to draw the comparisons that you did should be beneath you and clearly demonstrates the fact that you are out of touch with reality.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
nehemiah said:
M_S said:
Yeah. Er... I noticed. But you didn't get what I was trying to say. Just giving the capability of getting top class gear and leaving out the stuff that makes that capability useable is just leaving the stuff out of the camera. Its like saying "hey that car drives as fast as a ferrari" but putting not seat in the car. From a marketing standpoint the company can say that the car is as fast as a ferrari, but the user will scratch his had and will move on to a car, that is equally priced, has the speed of the ferrari and still costs as much as a ford.

Where is this car? I'd like to purchase one.

The Ford GT qualifies on the speed front, and since it is a Ford, I guess it costs as much as a Ford :) Get in line...I'm afraid they're all sold out, though.

Instead of kicking the can down the road what would be better in the future for Canon is to adapt to voice of customer in a modular way. Video 4K/8K pack for those who need video, added CPU pack for faster fps, etc. This is my suggestion. Pro cameras used to have this modularity, now they offer one body for all and no-one is happy. So those guys who shoot video please pay and upgrade your 5DIV accordingly. Same goes for others. In a similar manner a Ford gets upgraded to different suspensions, powertrain, etc. That's the only way to end the (top) gear wars.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
George D. said:
Instead of kicking the can down the road what would be better in the future for Canon is to adapt to voice of customer in a modular way. Video 4K/8K pack for those who need video, added CPU pack for faster fps, etc. This is my suggestion. Pro cameras used to have this modularity, now they offer one body for all and no-one is happy.

I guess you have god-like omniscience, to know the emotional viewpoint of everyone regarding current pro cameras. Either that, or you lack the ability to comprehend what you read. I wonder which is more likely? ::)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
George D. said:
Instead of kicking the can down the road what would be better in the future for Canon is to adapt to voice of customer in a modular way. Video 4K/8K pack for those who need video, added CPU pack for faster fps, etc. This is my suggestion. Pro cameras used to have this modularity, now they offer one body for all and no-one is happy. So those guys who shoot video please pay and upgrade your 5DIV accordingly. Same goes for others. In a similar manner a Ford gets upgraded to different suspensions, powertrain, etc. That's the only way to end the (top) gear wars.

Modular cameras have been tried and failed spectacularly. Great in practice but effective implementation is very difficult.

They are not offering one body for all, they are offering one body for what their market research identifies as the biggest market.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
George D. said:
Instead of kicking the can down the road what would be better in the future for Canon is to adapt to voice of customer in a modular way. Video 4K/8K pack for those who need video, added CPU pack for faster fps, etc. This is my suggestion. Pro cameras used to have this modularity, now they offer one body for all and no-one is happy.

I guess you have god-like omniscience, to know the emotional viewpoint of everyone regarding current pro cameras. Either that, or you lack the ability to comprehend what you read. I wonder which is more likely? ::)

You seem to be answering everywhere in this forum. When you reach 1 million replies you get extra miles?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
George D. said:
neuroanatomist said:
George D. said:

You seem to be answering everywhere in this forum. When you reach 1 million replies you get extra miles?

Well, it takes very little time to recognize and call out asinine posts.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
George D. said:

Modular cameras have been tried and failed spectacularly. Great in practice but effective implementation is very difficult.

They are not offering one body for all, they are offering one body for what their market research identifies as the biggest market.

I know, but there seem to be more and more voices about video. Instead of shutting them out I think it's better to somehow offer them the option. That's more sales than less.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
George D. said:
Mikehit said:
George D. said:

I know, but there seem to be more and more voices about video. Instead of shutting them out I think it's better to somehow offer them the option. That's more sales than less.

In any pre-school there are a bunch of happy, well adjusted toddlers getting along with each other, enjoying their days, and learning. Then there are those few unfortunates that cry all day long, throw toys, and kick over chairs.

Because a handful of unfortunates, who seem to be opening multiple accounts, are obsessed with demanding high end video on a camera that is a still-photographer's dream machine, great for pleasure or professional use, doesn't mean that the other children or the teachers should let the cry babies control the agenda.

As for neuro posting a lot, the vast majority of his writing is helpful and informative. In fact, I'd bet many members consider him and a core of other experienced, knowledgeable photographers who give their time to helping others, among the top reasons they keep coming back to CR!

I believe he and other CR members take pride in the forum and respond to hecklers and hooligans with tact to point out utter nonsense. And some of these replies are funny enough to start my day with a big ;D

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
George D. said:
Mikehit said:
George D. said:

If people really want professional video equipment from Canon, Canon offers the splendid EOS Cinema Line. I thought it was quite clear how Canon has defined their market strategy since the introduction of the Cinema line.

As a lot of forum dwellers love to repeat themselves, I shall repeat myself too. Different company have different goals. Exciting Sony is here to gain market, Canon is keeping themselves consistent and profitable, Fuji is targeting interesting markets, while Nikon keeps on strutting on.

Nevertheless, I saw merit in your suggestion of a modular camera where it works like a PC you built yourself. But I guess it might fall into a very niche market, as most research and human behavioral studies shows that the common homo sapiens would tend to buy one thing or two that can serve their needs, not buying dozens of different parts and messing them up. Haven't you seen all the IKEA memes? Do you also remember Google's Project Ara, the modular phone? Looks like the largest data mining company deems the project a sinkhole also. Yes, it might introduce new sales in a new market, but does that small market worth the billions of dollars Canon might need to introduce the products from the drawing table to full realization?

Canon's profit movers are the multiple industry that needs precise optical technologies that costs really a lot, and the mass consumer markets that buy a DSLR and 2-3 lens to serve their photography hobbies. So it seems contradictory to Canon's philosophy to go down that pathway in the consumer market.

Upvote 0

arcer

You're now reading irrelevant text.
Jan 8, 2016
Hong Kong SAR
Usually, the contributors here are not trying to stifle ideas and opinions, but when demands starts to defies common logic and fundamental business sense, some are just fed up with these immature cries and might reply with sarcasms that these blabbers can't understand.

Canon have their own business methodology, they get love for it, they get hate from it, but you cannot deny that most products it delivers do deliver what it claims and much more. Canon might be forever in following the steps of Sony from here on out, but for corporations, it is not about who goes ahead by a margin, but who goes the farthest. Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:

I'm actually hopeful that Canon does put out a 5Dvideo for a video body, I think they are missing a significant piece of the market unless they do that... how to implement that and not eat away at the cine market they have but still pull back those that went to Sony is a puzzle I'm glad I dont' have to worry about.

But some of your gripe are just space fillers? Speed Booster? Focus Peaking? APS-C Crop Lens compatibility? I mean really if you want to put that 50-100mm f1.8 Sigma Art on the 5D3 you can so I'm sure it can fit on a 5D4 - and you don't even need an adaptor.

I could come on here and whine about my 7D2 not having the 80D sensor, or the 5D4 having way too many pixels for me, and list all the missing specs, but instead I choose to read up on the specs and reviews and find the best compromise for me.

I certainly don't go onto the Sony forum and bash their cameras because they don't meet my needs.. so really don't understand what you hope to gain here. Sony makes some GREAT stuff.. and I keep up on them as I really do love that little package with full frame quality, but it doesn't fit my needs.. and if the 5DIV doesn't meet yours, I really don't understand what you hope to accomplish here.. Make a poll and see how many are like minded, but I don't think it will be a majority of those who really want a 5D4.

Focus on what you want, with the camera that will work, and go for it.

Upvote 0
douglaurent said:
YuengLinger said:

Interesting. In this space there was a statement about the characteristics of some people who are not happy with different opinions, then claim there is a conspiracy theory and those with different opinions need to be systematically shut down and outlawed - and the moderator does exactly that.

Maybe some users wouldn't be annoyed if there was a forum thread system that doesn't copy the same old entries over and over again?

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
douglaurent said:

What camera was releases with and without articulating screen? Really just curious, can't remember anything in that direction. I guess an articulating screen would be useful, especially for macro work, however I would be concerned about the durability...
I guess releasing a video-centric 5D4 would be a way to go, and IIRC there have been some rumors regarding that topic. Maybe you'll still get one. OTOH, I suppose this would be a really small target market (similar as 1DC), and therefore the camera would be really expensive (not necessarily because of the features it has, but due to the small volume). I would assume north of $6000. Out of curiosity: what would YOU be willing to pay for a video-centric 5D4 that has, let's say, 2/3 of that feature list you posted?

douglaurent said:

I agree with you on that price. Not necessarily because of the video features, but I do find it too high, especially in Europa compared to the US (4065€= $4562 vs $3499 at B&H). And I have had that complaint about most of Canons recent releases. But this discrepancy tops all of it.

The two cameras with and without articulating screen have been the 750D and 760D. In other territories of the world they might have been called Rebel, Trouble, Bubble or whatever else idea the marketing dept. had.

Upvote 0