So just how busy is 2019 going to be?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
What do we think we will see in 2019. It is shaping up to be very busy year for Canon if they release what I think they will/should release. 5dsr2, 7d3,90d,78d, 2new rebels? eosr(x)?3-5 lenses for the mirrroless system, maybe more. Do we really think they will punch out this much stuff or will they spread it out to 2020 and if so what will be delayed?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
No clue at all.
EOS R and RF are kind of a game changer.
So:
How much ressources does Canon have?
Is it more important to Canon to built up the EOS R and RF system?
Is it more important to deliver EOS 7D3, 5D4 and/or 5DSR successors?
Can they manage both?
Don't know.

As for the 5DSR, my guess is that there will be a EOS R successor for that and no more DSLR.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
After making such a big deal about the EOS R and the RF mount, I'd be surprised if they immediately pivoted right back to releasing DSLRs, which now even by their own admission are getting a little antiquated. It just doesn't seem like smart marketing to me. It seems like it would really confuse the market. I mean, how many FD mount SLRs did they continue to produce after the EOS 650 came out? Looking at their online museum, it looks like almost none, unless they just omitted those in the museum.

I suspect that the current lineup of DSLRs will be left to wither on the vine until a suitable RF mount mirrorless replacement for them is ready to be released. I know that it's a pretty bold statement to say that DSLRs are already finished, but honestly I struggle to see how it makes a lot of sense to come out with any new top level DSLRs and ask people to pay between $3000 and $6000 for them when they've already pretty plainly said that it's old technology that's on its way out. Even if they did make a 1DX Mark II replacement DSLR, could they really make the burst rate any faster than the current camera without getting rid of the mirror?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Honestly I could see this going either way. On the one hand I recognize that maybe mirrorless technology is not quite there with respect to professional use, hence we might see a few more DSLRs.

On the other hand, would Canon seriously come out with a brand new camera, and expect people to pay between $3000 and $6000 for it even though they will never be able to use it with the newest L lenses that have just been released, and likely more in the future?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Honestly I could see this going either way. On the one hand I recognize that maybe mirrorless technology is not quite there with respect to professional use, hence we might see a few more DSLRs.

On the other hand, would Canon seriously come out with a brand new camera, and expect people to pay between $3000 and $6000 for it even though they will never be able to use it with the newest L lenses that have just been released, and likely more in the future?

And this is something I very much appreciate about Canon. They have been evolving DPAF since, what, the 70D? Iterations of the DPAF have made it into the 5D and 1D lineups. Mirrorless since the EOS M? Much of what is in the "R" is battle tested. So I do wonder how far it is from "Professional" use.

We, as usual, are way out in front of things speculating.....part if it depends on what we hear about the R. While DPAF has been evolving, we need to learn how good/fast is this interation of the DPAF, for example. Historically, PDAF has been faster than DPAF and this will be preferred for a number of uses such as sports/wildlife. If that holds true, and a lot of people use the 5DSR for wildlife, I can see both a DSLR and "Pro R" high MP cameras. Or maybe there is another differentiation. Could be that the 5DsR II pushes the limits and upscales the current 24 MP crop sensors to ~61 MP (or higher) on FF. Maybe the professional R camera is more inline with the A7RIII/Z7 at 40-50 MP.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Do you really think we will still see a 5DsR II?

Maybe, but if I had to choose, I could see this being the higher end/"Professional" R announced in a few months.

But, yes, I would expect a few more DSLRs, another R, a bunch of RF lenses. And, perhaps updates tot he 300/500/800 superteles.

With the first 5Ds(R) Canon made a very big deal about how much engineering went into dampening the mirrorslap, so I'm wondering if Canon will make a big deal out of the mirror being completely gone in an Rs(R) and launch that in 2019Q1. No new EF-mount 5Ds(R) models.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
With the first 5Ds(R) Canon made a very big deal about how much engineering went into dampening the mirrorslap, so I'm wondering if Canon will make a big deal out of the mirror being completely gone in an Rs(R) and launch that in 2019Q1. No new EF-mount 5Ds(R) models.
What would really excite me about this camera, is if they did scale up from the 24 MP APS-C sensor is that you would have a 60 MP FF camera and, if it has a crop mode, a 24 MP crop camera. The EVF would adjust the FOV depending on crop vs FF.

If that also has fast AF, I'd buy in a second.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What would really excite me about this camera, is if they did scale up from the 24 MP APS-C sensor is that you would have a 60 MP FF camera and, if it has a crop mode, a 24 MP crop camera. The EVF would adjust the FOV depending on crop vs FF.

If that also has fast AF, I'd buy in a second.

This one is APS-H:

That translates to 200MP for 35mm :D

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Maybe I could see the dropping the 5DSR line in favour of mirrorless. The majority of users of that camera are not action shooters(although obviously some use it for wildlife). I cannot see the 7d or 1d line disappearing yet as mirrorless is just not up to scratch for that use. Maybe we should pay close attention to what they do with the rebels. If they drop low end DSLRs then they will lose the models that get users into DLSRs, after which they upgrade to higher end models. Without a rebel lineup we could safely say canon are giving up on DSLRs. if they keep it then DSLRs are not going anywhere yet. So a revised possible set of releases for next year could be the 7D3, 90D, 1 Rebel, EOS R(x) 3-5 R lenses or7D3, EOS R(x) and the mirroless lenses?

Upvote 0