Spartans, What is your profession?

There are some cool histories here! Thanks for sharing all.

I sit in a corporate communication department supporting comms and marketing activities (mainly O&G-related but also in fisheries (à la Norway)). This includes project management, media consultancy, content development and media production, often in tandem with advertising agencies and PR firms. After 10 years in this function, this is still an exciting job on an almost daily basis.

Fortunately through my current role I am also often supporting with my camera and/or overseeing hired photographers ("and/or" dependent mostly on timeline/budget).

Best wishes to all in your pursuits

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
I passed out of college as an electrical engineer and worked as one for 7 years. Then switched to writing software. Have been in the software industry since 84. Currently I am a director in a software product company looking after the delivery of one of the products and also responsible for the QA, training and documentation teams for the whole company.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Forty-seven years of law enforcement with both city police and county constable's office (constables in Texas are an interesting, and misunderstood, position). Technically retired three years ago at age of 69 but I still work as a "reserve" a few times a month. Photography has been my hobby since I was ten years old and had a darkroom before I owned a camera.

Upvote 0
I work as TV-journalist at a major news agency. It can be stressfull at times, and photography help me relax and because I have to focus solely on what is literally in front me and nothing else.

Also - I didn't expect to see so many retired people in this thread, but it is not suprising to see so many people in IT/engineering/etc. considering this is a gear centric site.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
GuyF said:
IMG_0001 said:
I always wondered what was Neuranatomist job...

He stacks shelves in Walmart or is an ambassador for Nikon or something

That...but more likely: http://community.the-digital-picture.com/member.php?u=1413&tab=visitor_messaging#visitor_messaging

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Don Haines said:
Communications research....

First major project that I worked on was Telidon. http://www.friendsofcrc.ca/Projects/Telidon/Telidon.html

The project predated the internet and influenced many aspects of it's design, including the concepts of HTML and the idea that you could connect from anywhere. In 1986, when the internet was officially created, we were part of it.... and here is a picture from 1986.... the first cat picture posted on the internet!

The DR seems fine.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2014
Worked as a physicist, systems engineer, and IT and Info Security exec. I lived below my means when working, saved money and retired early with no debts, no mortgage, no car payments. I live well in retirement with my husband who has no GAS of any kind - just give him books and he's happy. We travel several times a year and I satisfy my GAS by saving or forgoing a trip. I go out with my camera several times a week at home to take bird photos but I never sell anything.

Upvote 0
Jane said:
Worked as a physicist, systems engineer, and IT and Info Security exec. I lived below my means when working, saved money and retired early with no debts, no mortgage, no car payments. I live well in retirement with my husband who has no GAS of any kind - just give him books and he's happy. We travel several times a year and I satisfy my GAS by saving or forgoing a trip. I go out with my camera several times a week at home to take bird photos but I never sell anything.
Sounds like you got your priorities right and have a good life :) I have the money I need to buy whatever my GAS tells me to, but not enough time to enjoy it, as much as I should. I think I have a thing or two to learn from you ;)

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I am an economist who works for a nonpartisan federal audit agency in Washington DC. I work with numerous teams composed of policy analysts, issue area experts, attorneys, accountants, budget analysts, and other social scientists to identify the root causes of problems facing the federal government and the American taxpayer and propose effective solutions. It's a job in which I have to learn new things all the time and it affords me a front row seat in seeing how federal programs actually operate in the US and around the world.

It is hard for me to remember a time in which I did not have a camera in my hand. I'm not good at drawing or painting so photography is my artistic outlet. I hope to be able to retire in about four years and spend more time on traveling and photography.

Carol

Upvote 0

IMG_0001

Amateur photon abductor
Nov 12, 2013
candyman said:
GuyF said:
IMG_0001 said:
I always wondered what was Neuranatomist job...

He stacks shelves in Walmart or is an ambassador for Nikon or something

That...but more likely: http://community.the-digital-picture.com/member.php?u=1413&tab=visitor_messaging#visitor_messaging
Ah ah! I knew it, Walmart is in the pharmaceutical research business! Probably spending huge amounts on that anti-union pill everyone dreams about.

Edit: well not everyone actually, but at least those who had camera equipment stuck at the docks.

Upvote 0