Spiders

hhkd

I'm New Here
Aug 20, 2015
NancyP said:
HHKD, welcome to the world of DIY flash modifications for macro.

Here's a primer on flash in macro, from a very talented photographer, Kurt, who posts a ton at dpreview macro thread: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/ look at the right side for links to his how-to flash posts

Good news! The modifications can include cheap/free household items. Even a translucent plastic cup cut to cover the field of interest being illuminated can be a big improvement.
Thank you, NancyP. This is very helpful. I'll experiment with some of these, I like the idea of using polystyrene sheets. This thread is great.

applecider

EOS 7D MK II
May 20, 2012
Portland Oregon, Cape Cod
Here's a web of a funnel spider, less spider. This is one of my first attempts to step and blend done in photoshop. What I wanted was the entire web in focus, and since I think I used the 100 macro lens on macro distances the depth of field in f stops was not sufficient.

Attachments

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Werz said:
Here is a macro of a Marbled Orbweaver (I think) taken in a mire in the fall. The mire was full of them as I walked down the trail, had to be careful not to damage all the webs everywhere. I had a fair amount of subjects to choose from.

Very nice shot. Well done, Werz.

Feb 19, 2016
NancyP said:
HHKD, welcome to the world of DIY flash modifications for macro.

Here's a primer on flash in macro, from a very talented photographer, Kurt, who posts a ton at dpreview macro thread: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/ look at the right side for links to his how-to flash posts

Good news! The modifications can include cheap/free household items. Even a translucent plastic cup cut to cover the field of interest being illuminated can be a big improvement.
Thanks, Nancy. Still not allowed to post a new thread here yet until I have made a few posts.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
This little fellow (just 4 mm, abdomen just as big as a pinhead) was hard to get. After just a few shots it hid away.
So I had to be fast: handheld (thanks to HIS!) with AI servo. Not exposure optimisation possible.
5D3, 100L macro @MFD, 1/250m, 5.6, ISO 1000, a wee bit croping

Attachments

lion rock

EOR R
Jan 1, 2013
Went back out after dinner, shot her again. This time with tripod and the second one with speedlight.
Took with 5DIII 100mm f/2.8L. Uncropped.
The white spots were rain drops collected.
-r

Attachments

DJL329

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 26, 2010
dmrrsn1 said:
Not sure kind of spider
Looks to be an Orchard Spider.

http://www.insectidentification.org/pictureviewer/insect-pic-detail.asp?identification=Venusta-Orchard-Spider&sCurrentPic=pic3

Here's one I took a few years ago with the 5D III and 100L:

On Flickr

lion rock

EOR R
Jan 1, 2013
Thanks. Good to learn.
You've got a nice pic. Did you crop?
-r

DJL329 said:
dmrrsn1 said:
Not sure kind of spider
Looks to be an Orchard Spider.

http://www.insectidentification.org/pictureviewer/insect-pic-detail.asp?identification=Venusta-Orchard-Spider&sCurrentPic=pic3

Here's one I took a few years ago with the 5D III and 100L:

On Flickr

Dylan777

EOS 1D MK II
Nov 17, 2011
lion rock said:
Went back out after dinner, shot her again. This time with tripod and the second one with speedlight.
-r
Great captures Lion Rock :)

lion rock

EOR R
Jan 1, 2013
Thank you, Dylan.
-r

Dylan777 said:
lion rock said:
-r
Great captures Lion Rock :)

lion rock

EOR R
Jan 1, 2013
Sorry, don't like it at all.
Been startled by one years ago.
No, not your pic, which is good, but the bug itself I don't like.

I've been bitten by a spider before near the eye, and healing took long time. They are not welcomed in the home.
-r