The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II is Coming in April [CR3]

Mar 26, 2014
Maximilian said:
kiwiengr said:
hendrik-sg said:

But to be serious, the 50mm 1.2 and 1.4 would need a update more urgently than this already fantastic zoom lens, ok maybe except if it could be produced cheaper (which is maybee no more possible for the 50mm primes, which are all simple Double-Gauss Designs.

Or there is more dosh to made out of new 70~200, both versions?
When I see press conferences or when I just take a walk through my local zoo I am really amazed by the number of white tele zoom lenses I see there. And also at events and weddings where low light performance might be important, zooms rule over primes - at least by numbers not in IQ.

I own the trinity of 16-35mm f/2.8L mkII + 24-70mm f/2.8L mk II + 70-200mm f/2.8 IS mkII, and I've also bought a 50mm f/1.4 & 35mm f/2 IS is events.

I will buy a 50mm f/1.4 IS USM (same upgrade as the 24-28-35 trio) for $550. If it's an L for $1,599, I'll pass - too rich for my blood.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Antono Refa said:
I will buy a 50mm f/1.4 IS USM (same upgrade as the 24-28-35 trio) for $550. If it's an L for $1,599, I'll pass - too rich for my blood.
Same here... Maybe even if it's f/1.8 and really good at 1.8. But I'd prefer the 1.4 over IS.
Now back on topic... ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
andrei1989 said:
ahsanford said:
Any chance this new 70-200 f/4 reverts to an externally zooming (i.e. length-changing) design like the 70-300L?

- A

it will be the first collapsible L lens :D
like the EF-M zooms
Both 100-400mm L and 70-300mm L are "collapsible" tele zoom lenses from Canon. And there are a lot standard zooms that have changable dimension according to focal length.

I guess I am the only one here waiting for modern updated version of 50mm Macro(hopefully a FF equivalent of Ef-s 35mm Macro)

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Chaitanya said:
I guess I am the only one here waiting for modern updated version of 50mm Macro(hopefully a FF equivalent of Ef-s 35mm Macro)

Not just you, I do too. It's probably the sharpest 50mm lens that Canon do (not that it's saying much) - shame it sounds like a bag of angry bees when focusing.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It is amazing how much a desire for a new 50mm lens comes up in the new lens threads. There really must be pent up want for that by forum members.

Could it be the zooms have gotten so good that the 50mm focal length just isn't generating the sales? Or maybe Canon is putting extra effort into the 50mm because it is a big seller.

f/2.8 might not be fast for some, but I find myself stopping down to that with my 35mm more often than not. Between a fast 35, fast 135, fast 24-70 and hopefully the 85 one day... I would find a 50 to be a hard sell fo me.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
CanonFanBoy said:
It is amazing how much a desire for a new 50mm lens comes up in the new lens threads. There really must be pent up want for that by forum members.

Could it be the zooms have gotten so good that the 50mm focal length just isn't generating the sales? Or maybe Canon is putting extra effort into the 50mm because it is a big seller.

f/2.8 might not be fast for some, but I find myself stopping down to that with my 35mm more often than not. Between a fast 35, fast 135, fast 24-70 and hopefully the 85 one day... I would find a 50 to be a hard sell fo me.

CFB,

Are you looking at the 85 1.4L IS or hoping for the 1.8 to get a refresh or a different pedestrian model like I am?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
slclick said:
CanonFanBoy said:

CFB,

Are you looking at the 85 1.4L IS or hoping for the 1.8 to get a refresh or a different pedestrian model like I am?

The 1.4L, but I would forego that in favor of a new 135L with IS. I just really like the focal length. Have several lenses in that range (vintage), a 105 and 4 135s.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
slclick said:
So with the exceptional 12 year old optical formula, what other than weight and improved IS can be done?

The folks who say "the 135L is already so good, what is there to improve?" get the same answer from me: it can always be sharper. Since the 135L came out, a glut of sharper 135 primes have come out. (Ask Dustin Abbott, he's tested them all.) I'd also add the IS could always be improved.

Interestingly, here with the 70-200 f/4, no one has outdone Canon's offering yet. I believe this is less to do with it not being possible nearly so much as this specific FL / aperture combo being one of those 'only Canon would offer this extra price point' between the pro (70-200 2.8.) and enthusiast/travel (70-300 variable) versions. It's also stellar sharpness per dollar -- it's not a pricey lens -- so there is less opportunity for a Tamron or Sigma to swoop in with a much cheaper option.

But I have zero doubt a sharper 70-200 f/4 lens could be made. The question is whether *this* new Canon actually will be sharper... or if they'll pull a 24-105L II with this one. :-[

- A

The f4 version of Canon's 70-200 range has been the leader of the pack. Canon puts it's R&D into the f4 version first and markets it first, then turns their attention to the f2.8 version, which comes out later and brings the f2.8 up to the new f4 version's spec and IQ. It's been like that for a long time.

So I suspect that the new f4 lens will have improved AF, IS and sharpness. Maybe even a new feature like super light weight elements...who knows?

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
andrei1989 said:
ahsanford said:
Any chance this new 70-200 f/4 reverts to an externally zooming (i.e. length-changing) design like the 70-300L?

- A

it will be the first collapsible L lens :D
like the EF-M zooms
Both 100-400mm L and 70-300mm L are "collapsible" tele zoom lenses from Canon. And there are a lot standard zooms that have changable dimension according to focal length.

collapsible as the EF-M 15-45 or 11-22, which cannot be used without pushing a switch to extend them. the 100-400 and 70-300 are at their minimum length when also at their minimum respective focal lengths. the ones i mentioned cannot be used when in the fully retracted position...but i guess you know what i meant and wanted to kill my attempt at a joke..

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

Every time I go to this site and look at the comments, this guy makes the most inane comments in every single thread. I wish CR had a block users options, because this is literally the one and only reason I do not come here.

Oh and you don't have to sign your posts. We can literally see your username right there next to it.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
lidocaineus said:
ahsanford said:

Every time I go to this site and look at the comments, this guy makes the most inane comments in every single thread. I wish CR had a block users options, because this is literally the one and only reason I do not come here.

Oh and you don't have to sign your posts. We can literally see your username right there next to it.

I take it you guys know each other IRL and this is some sort of forum jab. I get it. You two...This place is the best!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ahsanford said:

I know the zero-length-change of the 70-200 L lenses is attractive for a host of a reasons, but so is a smaller lens that fits in smaller bags. I love my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but a much smaller version of it for travel would be attractive.
- A

No idea.....

It would be nice to have it more compact, but it is also nice to not be sucking in moist, dirty, or salty air.

I think that most of the zooms are variable length, so that would make variable more probable, but there is also momentum... I would not be surprised either way, but I bet it will be a great lens whichever path they pick....

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
lidocaineus said:
ahsanford said:

I take it you guys know each other IRL and this is some sort of forum jab. I get it. You two...This place is the best!

No. The opposite of that.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
lidocaineus said:
ahsanford said:

So let me get this straight: a troll just informed me that me just being me keeps that very same troll away.

I really don't see a problem here.

- A

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
slclick said:
lidocaineus said:
ahsanford said:

No. The opposite of that.

- A

I was kidding, his post was one of the top 5 lamest things I have read here.

-B

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
lidocaineus said:
ahsanford said:

I thought it was a good question, but then again, what would I know.....I’m one of those delusional people waiting for a Canon 50mm with IS.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
ahsanford said:
lidocaineus said:
ahsanford said:

So let me get this straight: a troll just informed me that me just being me keeps that very same troll away.

I really don't see a problem here.

- A

- A

Gee, ahsanford, you just quoted my first wife!

Upvote 0