The Canon EOS R will begin shipping to customers on October 9, 2018, if not sooner

SereneSpeed

EOS T7i
Feb 1, 2016
Sorry I had a really long day, here is what I got for the 5 mins test: X-pro, AD200. One folder with full TTL with no compensation, the other one is with manual different exposions. Jpeg out of camera https://drive.google.com/open?id=1J5_ooKrI3PW688hKzNKsCkYIWAvaeLu5
edit: for the question above, flash cannot be used with silent shutter
Thank you!

That is banding. Not good. I'm not sure how shutter curtain timing can fix that. I sure hope this can be addressed with firmware. All my (extensive list of) gear is Godox.

When my EOS R arrives, I'll be testing it beside the ex-600-rt.

Thanks again.

SereneSpeed

EOS T7i
Feb 1, 2016
Interesting...

From page 178 of the owners manual:

"Non-Canon Flash Units
Sync Speed
The camera can synchronize with non-Canon compact flash units at 1/200 sec. and slower speeds. With large studio flash units, the flash duration is longer than that of a compact flash unit and varies depending on the model. Be sure to check before shooting if flash sync is properly performed by test shooting at a sync speed of approx. 1/60 sec. to 1/30 sec.

If the camera is used with a flash unit or flash accessory dedicated to another camera brand, the camera not only may not operate properly, but malfunction may result."

I wonder if switching the camera to HSS (instructions on p.185) will make HSS behave normally. I've gotten used to the Godox transmitters doing this for me.

Reactions: Viggo and ScottO

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018
Pre-ordered mine with CR adaptor from Adorama a week or so after announcement. I hope I make the first round of deliveries.
Just received notification that mine was shipped and should arrive tomorrow (Tues, 10/09)! Can't wait!!

Last edited:

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Interesting...

From page 178 of the owners manual:

"Non-Canon Flash Units
Sync Speed
The camera can synchronize with non-Canon compact flash units at 1/200 sec. and slower speeds. With large studio flash units, the flash duration is longer than that of a compact flash unit and varies depending on the model. Be sure to check before shooting if flash sync is properly performed by test shooting at a sync speed of approx. 1/60 sec. to 1/30 sec.

If the camera is used with a flash unit or flash accessory dedicated to another camera brand, the camera not only may not operate properly, but malfunction may result."

I wonder if switching the camera to HSS (instructions on p.185) will make HSS behave normally. I've gotten used to the Godox transmitters doing this for me.
Uh-oh, that better not be the case with my Siros L o_O

jjesp

I'm New Here
Dec 30, 2016
Why - why did Canon remove the shooting mode dial, and used it for a big On/Off dial instead? That is maybe the most stupid design flaw I have ever seen in a camera for shooting still images..... So now you have to: Press the Mode button - Then press the Info button - And then press the Shooting mode.... It must be a joke?

So if you want to change from A to M shooting mode, you have to look at the LCD screen, and press 3 times... Come on Canon. You have made cameras for so many years. If this is inovation....

Reactions: mirage

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Why - why did Canon remove the shooting mode dial, and used it for a big On/Off dial instead? That is maybe the most stupid design flaw I have ever seen in a camera for shooting still images..... So now you have to: Press the Mode button - Then press the Info button - And then press the Shooting mode.... It must be a joke?

So if you want to change from A to M shooting mode, you have to look at the LCD screen, and press 3 times... Come on Canon. You have made cameras for so many years. If this is inovation....
If you’ve ever used a 1-series you’ll know this is AWESOME... hopefully via firmware it can be set up like the 1-series where you can just remove all the modes you never use. I was so annoyed when I borrowed a 5d and had to turn the wheel and turn past stuff I didn’t use etc. I was so happy they got rid of the stupid dial and had buttons (and hopefully, removal of unused modes).

mirage

EOS RP
Jul 31, 2018
either way, it is extremely stupid to omit mode dial with immediate, "blind" access to all AvTvM plus C1-C3 ... in favor of a dial-shaped ON-OFF switcho_O... what an incredible waste of precious real estate on top of camera.

Reactions: jjesp

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
either way, it is extremely stupid to omit mode dial with immediate, "blind" access to all AvTvM plus C1-C3 ... in favor of a dial-shaped ON-OFF switcho_O... what an incredible waste of precious real estate on top of camera.
I don’t know what should have been there instead, and I don’t want to use my left hand for anything other than support the lens, and they’ve added the control ring to use with the left hand so really not missing anything. I guess it’s one price to pay for a tiltyflippy that all buttons on the left are gone. I really like having all buttons on the right where I can fast and easy reach them though. I question the placement of the AF-ON button for sure, it looks too much to the right.

mirage

EOS RP
Jul 31, 2018
Last edited:

edoorn

EOS RP
Apr 1, 2016
I assume all non-Canon flash manufacturers using hss stuff will bring out a firmware soon... hopefully, that is

briangus

EOS M50
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Got a WhatsApp saying I could collect my R body today
Great, only issue is the R-EF adaptor is part of the Canon promotion deal and is not available till the 15th
So until then I have a mirrorless and lensless Canon
Lucky white heather

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
instead of the ON/OF DIAL there should be the regular mode DIAL. On/Off switch could/should be around shutter, so you can flick it on with right thumb already immediately while picking up camera ...

like here: https://www.lightandmatter.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Nikon-Z6-and-Sony-A7III-Top-View-Comparison.jpg

Canon really fumbled UI on EOS R.
I don’t want power around the shutter, tried a camera like that once and hit it by accident all the time:unsure: to me it looks just fine (y)

Reactions: caMARYnon and nchoh

dlmartin81

EOS R
Sep 1, 2018

It's not that much different. Canon has a lock button on most of their higher-end DSLR's to prevent accidental mode switching. With those, you have to press and hold the lock button down while you rotate the dial. I don't see the user experience that much different with the R. Instead of looking at the dial to confirm desired mode, you look at the LCD screen. But then again, I haven't had my hands on it yet so I cannot say for sure.

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
So, thanks to Canon for fumbling the shipping and adding a delay to my purchase. And since the mail is about as fast as a stoned snail here, even if it arrives at the store tomorrow, it’s not at my place until Monday or Tuesday....