The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
About 6 years I bought a flash bracket ... back then I had gone crazy buying a lot of accessories, thinking they will improve my photography (with very little knowledge about DSLR photography & lighting technique) ... I used that bracket only once in the last 6 years and I gave up ... not because of its capabilities but my unwillingness to carry that heavy metal ... so it has been sitting in my cupboard collecting dust and every time I open the cupboard it stares at me ... I think it thinks I am an idiot :-[ ... but after having read all of your posts here my desire to use the flash bracket has grown ... I am the unofficial official photographer from our company for the Offshore Middle East Conference from Monday - Wednesday, so I will use the flash bracket at least for a day.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
About 6 years I bought a flash bracket ... back then I had gone crazy buying a lot of accessories, thinking they will improve my photography (with very little knowledge about DSLR photography & lighting technique) ... I used that bracket only once in the last 6 years and I gave up ... not because of its capabilities but my unwillingness to carry that heavy metal ... so it has been sitting in my cupboard collecting dust and every time I open the cupboard it stares at me ... I think it thinks I am an idiot :-[ ... but after having read all of your posts here my desire to use the flash bracket has grown ... I am the unofficial official photographer from our company for the Offshore Middle East Conference from Monday - Wednesday, so I will use the flash bracket at least for a day.
OK, so I've pulled out the dusty flash bracket, cleaned it up and took it to the conference/exhibition ... but did not use it "for a day" ... used it for less than 30 minutes ... felt kind of stupid, coz even professional photogrpahers were giving me the "dude, are you serious" look as if I'm from another planet ... so I went back to using my Rogue Flash bender with the 600-EX-RT mounted on the camera :-[ ... and the professional photographers gave me the look of "that's better you crazy punk" ;D

Upvote 0
First off I don't really care what other pros are doing. I have see pros use a Gary Fong Lightspehere outdoors in the daytime. I guess the are trying to light the surrounding areas and planes flying overhear too.

The bracket gives me one advantage. I can use the auto zoom. Very handy when shooting events when people are moving like fashion shows. I spend far less time playing with the FEC.

I'm not a big supporter of on camera flash diffusers however bounce card ones like the rogue and demb flip it are good products if you want to use them. Too many out there claiming to have overcome the simple physics of light. I have seen the term super diffuser ;D. Light travels in strait lines. Soft vs hard light is dependent on size and distance of the light source to the subject. There is no other secret or magic bullet out there.

I roll with this. I spent a lot of money and wasted time trying to find the latest and greatest diffuser. The best thing I ever did was take a lighting course.

http://russellspixelpix.blogspot.ca/2008/11/flash-diffusers-no-need-to-spend-big.html

A question. If those pros were standing beside me at this show with their rogues and I had my bracket would they have produced far more superior images than than me?

DPP07DB0919132005-1.jpg

_MG_0043.jpg

_MG_0166.jpg

Upvote 0
Fyi: I recently bought the Demb flash bracket and can recomend it, esp. for the price - it's small and sturdy at the same time, it's nice for changing from landscape to portrait and I can even move the flash a bit forward for better macro flash with the 100L. Sure other brackets are more sturdy, but much more bulky and esp. much more expensive.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/bracket/instructions/

A quick alternative to the bracket is the Demb flip it, if mounted sideways it can also be turned from landscape to portrait, but since it's a bounce card flash the auto-zoom of the flash is not working.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/instructions/

And no: I didn't get a free flip it to write this :p, in fact I took the pain to order this stuff from the US of A because there's no German or European distributor (yet).

Upvote 0
Actually even though I said I would never purchase a on flash diffuser again I did pick up the Demb big flip it about a month ago. Only reason is weight. 11.4 ounces is not much but as the day gets longer you start to feel it and I'm not getting any younger. I have not tried it live yet and for shorter time periods I will still use my bracket depending on the situation. Still more efficient use of light.

Upvote 0
As a NOOB to flash photography, I first tried an ALZO flash bracket with my gripped 60D and 580 EX II. First (and only time) I used it, I thought it was a bit 'clutzy' to switch from landscape to portrait, but it worked satisfactorily. It was also heavier than I liked, and mounting it with the 'post' to my right when shooting, it required the optional shutter release button. My problem was when I wanted to shoot without the bracket. Difficult to remove mounting clamp from camera as well as to re-install it and mount to the bracket for additional shooting.

So, I found an older, used RRS 'wedding bracket' on ebay. The ALZO hasn't been touched since. The RRS is one-button, 1 second, to switch from landscape to portrait or back. And although I haven't found a use for it, it can also raise the flash perhaps 8" higher than the 'normal' above the lens position.

Upvote 0
If you notice the benefit of the flash bracket YES employ it.
it IS a burden but it does position the flash over the camera in vertical position.
whats great about using a flash bracket is you dont always have to use it in its "CORRECT"
position...
in opposed position to its intended camera orientation it will give you side light and half way deployed it will give you a higher position (on some tilting brackets) that will give you a diff angle on light.

some suggested the off camera cable and yes thats great and fun use of flash... very flexible and creative. add screw in strap to bottom of TTL cable on flash end... secures you from dropping flash during drunken dance floor shots... ooops..

Upvote 0
brad goda said:
in opposed position to its intended camera orientation it will give you side light and half way deployed it will give you a higher position (on some tilting brackets) that will give you a diff angle on light.

+1 - I just did a test series with the sto-fen & demb diffusers with and without bracket and have to say using the bracket at 45 degree angle or even forward for macro is the best feature. For simply using the flash in portrait position the demb flip-it is sufficient most of the time since it's mounted sideways on the flash.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.