The Flash Bracket? Do they really matter anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
I was talking to a fellow photographer who works weddings all the time. We were discussing on-camera flash and he spoke of always using a flash bracket for on camera.

I've seen them before, those large hulking contraptions that some photogs carry around on a wedding. Is it really necessary though anymore? I think one of those would slow me down but if the benefits are really worth the hassle i'd might look into it.

Supposedly, it will remove the horrid side-shadow when shot in portrait orientation but why not just use a TTL cable and hold the flash in proper orientation rather than carry a bulky and heavy bracket? Or just bounce?

Dunno, It was interesting enough to want some opinions on brackets.

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
danjwark said:
I think the flash bracket is still very useful. The trouble with the E-TTL cord is that you end up needing a third hand to hold the flash. The bracket I use is quite simple to flip over to portrait mode and the shadow improvements are huge - saves a ton of PP.

Interesting, Where does the third hand come into play though?

One hand holding camera in portrait orientation.

One Hand holdling flash high.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I remember the metz hammerheads well, they date from a time when AA's couldn't hold as much of a charge and things like nicads were the best we could hope for.

I liked the stability of them, there wasn't IS in those days either...

I generally OC cable or wireless flash these days, but I still have a flash grip which occassionally gets a run out for video.

Canon did do an A-TTL hammerhead which I believe can be used manually with E-TTL cameras, but the speedlite form is just what folks prefer these days.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
danjwark said:
I think the flash bracket is still very useful. The trouble with the E-TTL cord is that you end up needing a third hand to hold the flash. The bracket I use is quite simple to flip over to portrait mode and the shadow improvements are huge - saves a ton of PP.

Interesting, Where does the third hand come into play though?

One hand holding camera in portrait orientation.

One Hand holdling flash high.

For me, I like to hold the camera body with two hands - for zoom, focus, and stability. If you want to make any adjustments on the camera, you still have the flash in your left hand making it a bit tricky. I tried doing a portrait shoot with just the E-TTL cord and it drove me nuts. Bought the bracket the next day and never looked back!

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
I was talking to a fellow photographer who works weddings all the time. We were discussing on-camera flash and he spoke of always using a flash bracket for on camera.

I've seen them before, those large hulking contraptions that some photogs carry around on a wedding. Is it really necessary though anymore? I think one of those would slow me down but if the benefits are really worth the hassle i'd might look into it.

Supposedly, it will remove the horrid side-shadow when shot in portrait orientation but why not just use a TTL cable and hold the flash in proper orientation rather than carry a bulky and heavy bracket? Or just bounce?

If you have a bracket that can easily flip from landscape to portrait and then back, a bracket is awesome for shadows. At many locations, bounce is simply not an option because you're either too far from a wall or ceiling, the ceiling is black or colored.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

For a wedding shoot, I tried using a 580ex with an off shoe cord on my left hand and a 5d mk2 with a 24-70 on my right hand. It was a HUGE pain in the ass to zoom in/out while holding the flash. And after about 3 hours, my wrist that was holding the camera started to hurt. Needless to say, I should have used a flash bracket.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
This is good stuff. I Might look into one, What bracket is lightweight and can easily switch orientation? I usually carry two cameras on me at all times at a wedding so a lightweight bracket would be appreciated.

Zooming will be a non-issue but I will need a bracket that allows easy lens changes.

Upvote 0
A

airforceones25

I don't really know anything about bracket or flash photography for that matter. I'm just getting started and my new flash is expect to arrive friday! :D

I came across these brackets by ProMediaGear.

ProMediaGear Boomerang Flash Bracket for DSLR cameras Made In USA

They look kind of trick and seem simple to operate. In all honesty my knowledge is zero though. Lol

Upvote 0
I bought one from Amazon (same as one in link below) and it is so light and flimsy that the horizontal bar that mounts to the underside of the camera body actually bends with the weight of my flash (YN-565EX similar to 580EXII), plus the vertical hand grip is hollow plastic - it actual feels like a toy. I don't know who writes their product reviews at B&H, obviously their staff do.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/116630-REG/Hama_HA_6831_Folding_L_Flash_Bracket.html

Methinks a flash bracket would be good, as long as the bracket is a very high quality professional one, perhaps like some of the custom bracket models.

There seems to be a lot of really cheapo ones for sale, can knowledgeable photographers enlighten us all as to which one to buy...

Upvote 0
I use this one (after removing the annoying strap part and the screws that hold it) and it is very solid and not expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Folding-Bracket-Digital-Cameras/dp/B004LOHEFK
The only downside to it is that the top bar that holds the flash is very smooth and so the flash can rotate - especially if using an OC-3 cord. I put some friction tape (kind of like hockey stick tape) on the top and that solved it. Oh, and it is big enough to hold my gripped 40D.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
danjwark said:
The trouble with the E-TTL cord is that you end up needing a third hand to hold the flash.

Do you?

6906942129_a606e34332_o.jpg

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
neuroanatomist said:
danjwark said:
The trouble with the E-TTL cord is that you end up needing a third hand to hold the flash.

Do you?

6906942129_a606e34332_o.jpg

that kind of reminds me of briansquibb.... :p

I have a real man's beard not a 5 oclock shadow ........

I use a Custom Bracket, with mini/flex, no cords

Upvote 0
P

pbarr86

airforceones25 said:
I don't really know anything about bracket or flash photography for that matter. I'm just getting started and my new flash is expect to arrive friday! :D

I came across these brackets by ProMediaGear.

ProMediaGear Boomerang Flash Bracket for DSLR cameras Made In USA

They look kind of trick and seem simple to operate. In all honesty my knowledge is zero though. Lol

I own and love the Boomerang flash bracket from ProMediaGear, I have been using their universal plate but just ordered the custom plate to fit on my 5D MIII battery grip

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I have a Custom Brackets Pro M. It was like $379. i have used it for almost a year straight at clubs. It is still sturdy and works fine. I did have to use super glue to seal my Off flash cord because the weight and pressure on the flash will rip the shoe apart over time. My first cord broke in 2 or 3 months and my glued card has been great for over 6 months.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.