What happens if Canon and Nikon enter FF mirrorless in different price points?

Mar 2, 2012
fullstop said:
yep, looks like some "hollow tubular space". Either "camera nozzle" or "lens rear extension". Choice between pestilence and cholera. I want neither of them. :)

It looks like the outer diameter of the lens sits on that platform, but the mount itself is smaller and fits inside.

Attachments

• 1F29A2C0-4502-4715-B70C-E5C55AD6EF13.jpeg
    1F29A2C0-4502-4715-B70C-E5C55AD6EF13.jpeg
    597.7 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
ever seen a lens mount? the steel bayonet flange has a few millimeters width. ;-)

exclusive-new-nikon-mirrorless-images.html

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
obviously Nikon Z-mount uses a mighty big hole. Really curious to see what the lens mount parameters really will be. Rumors are confused, especially as far as throat width [diameter of clear opening] goes. 49mm and 55mm are thrown around. I am sure, Nikon has maxed it this time, as there is no disadvantage associated. Going too narrow however, causes all sorts of limitations and problems for lens design. See narrow Nikon F-mount or Sony FE mount.

Upvote 0
What happens if Nikon enters the market on one end of FF and Canon enters on the opposite, i.e. a pricey mirrorless D850 comes out around the same time as a modest mirrorless 6D2, or the D610 line is refreshed as a $1999 mirrorless setup while Canon puts out some $4k 5DS2 flavored mirrorless rig?

Curious to see (if Canon and Nikon don't enter the market with multiple price points right away) if people freak out that the first offering is all they are going to get and it wasn't the price point / feature set that they've wanted.

Would either company publicly reassure folks that 'this is just the first body and others are coming' or will they button their lips to get folks to focus their wallets on what is currently being released?

- A

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/offers/nikon-z-just-launched/

Upvote 0