Your lenses wishlist for 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please give me:

1: An afordable and fast wide angle prime. For example: 28/1.8 II (USM), 35/2.0 II (USM) or a very cheap 35/2.0 (same as the 50/1.8). Although I think it is very likely that Canon only will make (expensive) L-primes in the future (I hope I'm wrong).
2: 16-50/4L IS
3: 80-400/4-5.6L IS

Those lenses (especially the first two) would be interesting for both crop and full frame users.

Upvote 0
D

/dev/null

lol said:
Just for fun, anyone here like a focal reducer? Yup, the opposite of a extender/teleconverter. Reduces focal length and increases effective aperture. You will run out of image circle at some point, so this would only be useful to shrink EF lenses to EF-S image circle really.

Cute idea, but as you say it could only possibly work to put the full frame field of view onto an APS-C size sensor. You would not gain in the aperture, and I don't know what would happen to the DOF either.

Upvote 0
/dev/null said:
Cute idea, but as you say it could only possibly work to put the full frame field of view onto an APS-C size sensor. You would not gain in the aperture, and I don't know what would happen to the DOF either.
You would gain aperture value though, in the same way you lose it using an extender. These are used in telescopes already, but they don't have the mirror getting in the way. A simple design would reduce the back focus distance of the lens, and I can only assume a more complex one required for a SLR system is either too complicated or expensive for anyone to bother making such a converter.

Upvote 0
D

deadman

I'd like to see a 500mm 5.6 or possibly 6.3 with IS. This could be an EF or EF-S lens. I think one thing missing today is a less expensive, super telephoto with excellent image quality. If you didn't absolutely need a fast 4.0 aperture, I think this would be a great lens. It would be quite a bit lighter as well. I think many photographers who can't afford to spend upwards of 4K on a lens would purchase this.

Upvote 0
Here's what I've got as far as Canon lenses:

- 17-40L
- 24-105L
- 70-200/4L non-IS
- 50/1.8II

Here's what I'd like to see:

- 17-40L IS with improved optics, the rumored 17-50L IS?

Really that's about it. I think the optics on the current 17-40L could be a lot better, and especially compared to Nikon's excellent ultra-wide lenses they pale in comparison. Even if they came out with a new one I probably wouldn't buy it though, because I'm not a heavy ultra-wide user. Overall Canon has a very complete line of lenses and there's really very few instances where you "can't get there from here" in their lineup, unlike Nikon. That's why I switched. I'd like to pickup maybe a 300mm f/4L IS within the next year, along with a 1.4x extender to get me out to 420mm for some long landscape shots, and some portraiture work. I've wanted the 135/2L as well, but I already have that range covered with my 70-200/4 and a Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 that I still use, so I think the 300/4L IS will be next. When my kids start doing sports I'll be able to use the 5D2 with the 70-200 for closer stuff, and use the 300 with or without the extender on a crop body yet to be purchased for down the field stuff. Still a year or two away from that though, but planning ahead. :)

Upvote 0
As a landscape photographer I'm kind of obsessed with sharpness. Most of the time there are of course other factors limiting sharpness but I don't like the lens to be too much of a limiting factor when the other conditions are good.

I'd like to see a 24-70/2,8 IS. The current non-IS is really sharp, but with IS it would be a better all-around lens. As it seems we will get a new 24-70, but perhaps without IS and I don't think it is likely that a new lens can be considerably sharper than the old... we'll see.

Then I'd like to see upgrade of the lower cost 35mm and 24mm, those lenses are not really that sharp. I think primes should outperform zooms in sharpness, but the 24-70 is actually somewhat sharper than those at f/8. The L-lenses at 35 and 24 are slightly sharper than the zoom, but really expensive and somewhat heavy - not a great buy (for an amateur that doesn't need the superior build quality) if you intend to shoot at around f/8 most of the time.

The tilt-shift TS-E 24mm II is a great lens, if you're serious about landscapes and have the money - it is one to own. The old 90mm TS-E performs really well too, but the 45mm is not performing so well on a modern high megapixel body, so a new TS-E 45mm would be great. Actually I think TS-E at 35mm would be more useful than 45mm though.

Upvote 0
J

JoshuaTrottier

Definitely excited that Canon has new lenses and hopefully bodies coming out(Canon 5D Mark III please?)
This is my wishlist, which hopefully if all goes according to plan I'll be able to buy by the end of this summer.
That is, if Canon doesn't come out with some new bodies, then this will be revised (;

70mm-200mm 2.8/f IS II USM
100mm-400mm 4.5-5.6/fL IS USM
50mm 1.4/f USM
100mm 2.8/fL Macro IS USM
Canon 5D mark II with a 24mm-105mm f/4L USM
along with all the accessories I'm getting.

I want to be a photo journalist but considering I'm only 16 right now that isn't the easiest thing to do but I will be a foreign exchange student my junior year of high school(Freshman currently) and I'll be taking most of my gear with me to France so I can work on some stories there as well as working more creatively with photography. Yay for working since you were ten.

My current set up is a Canon T2i with a 18mm-55mm kit lens, 55mm-250mm kit lens, 50mm 1.4/f lens, and a 10mm-22mm lens. Pretty nice set up considering I paid for it all myself but luckily my amazing brother is giving me 20,000$ from this job he got ( Made 150,000$ just for starting!) so he's decided to help me with my career! Hopefully I can also look at some colleges while I'm in France for journalism then look at some art colleges after that!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.