10D, 100D or 700D?

10D, 100D or 700D body/lens/flash combo for 'cuteness' and usability?

• Total voters
A 60D and a 17-85mm

Considerably better IQ than your 10D, it's got a swivelly screen, the range of the 17-85mm is useful and it's a lot lot smaller than the 24-105 and it's still usm. also the 60D has the extra dials & wheels to make functions a little more accessible than the 100/700. it also does in camera vintage/cross processing/black and white/grain.

and it looks sweet, which is the main issue.

in fact I might buy one myself.

Upvote 0
The 100D is a really nice camera. Even I was playing with the idea of buying one, simply because it is so small, but still a DSLR (I went with the 70D instead, a lot more to carry arround, but also more features). I would not pair it with the 24-105, this lens would simply be an overkill for the 100D body. But luckily there are many options for a starter lens. The kit lens is quite okay, but usually the first lens that gets kicked out of the lineup. So I would go for another option. I'm very happy happy with my Sigma 17-70 f2,8-4 C; more reach than the kit lens, macro function, faster aperture, and (probably more important for your wife than for you) it looks great.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
unfocused said:
dak723 said:
In all honesty, the only opinion that matters is your wife's...
+1000. Take it from a guy who's been married three times. Your used cast-offs are not an acceptable gift. Get her a new camera and lens kit that is her's and her's alone. Even a 1Dx would be a bargain in comparison to the path you'll be heading down if you dust off some 10 year old camera and hand it to her.

+1000 :)

In an ideal Canon world, it would be so easy to answer this with "EOS-M2"...
  • very compact, "cute" and cool body ... depending on wife's colour preference in black, white or red ;)
  • sensor with very decent IQ ... in good light
  • good-IQ lenses available, compact and reasonably priced, especialy in kit
  • compact 18-55 kit-zoom with IS and even more compact, "cute" 22/2.0 WA prime
  • highly intuitive user-interface including touch screen
  • built-in WIFI, sharing of images possible, depending on how Canon has implemented it
BUT ... unfortunately this is ... Canon. EOS-M / M2 are no option, because ... :'(
  • M2 not for sale in US, Europe and most of Asia
  • M (and M2 probably as well) AF performance not sufficient for intended primary shooting situation - social pics, mainly indoors (=usually low to very low light, people typically moving)
  • No built-in flash; separate flash unit no enticing option here
:'(

Therefore I'd go with SL-1 with 18-55 STM or possibly 18-135 STM if it's got to be a Canon and a DSLR.
EF-S 17-55/2.8 is a great lens (use it as my primary lens myself), but too heavy and big (basically same size as 24-105L) to be a good choice in this scenario.

Nikon1 J3 might be an even better choice. Small, very "cute", very good AF-performance, built-in flash, IQ "more than good enough" for intended purpose. Dirt cheap. WiFi available via WU-1b plug-in wart.

Or Sony 100RX II. Very compact & light, decent lens, decent IQ for intended purpose, flash and WiFi on-board. Might take convincing of wife and Jones' that it is not just another el-cheapo P&S cam, though. :)

Upvote 0
timmy_650 said:
Have you thought about a 5Dc? with a 24-105L that is a good combo and if you and trying to keep up with the jones, it is also a really good combo for that too. I am not sure it is the best choice but it is something to think about. But it is a bigger camera but I am guessing she has used a camera that size before bc my guess is that is what you are shooting with size wise. But the problem with it and the 10D is the screen size. It stinks to try and show people picture on a screen that size nowadays. I would rule out the 10D bc of the screen.
Oh, no. :-X Another recommendation for 5D classic for people who have no experience with DSLR and want to do household photos. :-[ I can not imagine a woman giving up live view, video, small size and weight, large and clear LCD, SD memory cards, etc. :-* :'(

Upvote 0
Your wife is coming from a point and shoot; she is not accustomed to changing lenses, keep that in mind. Like others have said buy it new. The last thing you want your wife to do with her brand new DSLR, is to have focusing problems, think non-cross type AF points, and having to change lenses; 18-55 + 55-250 (stupid idea).

You want your wife to have a stress free and enjoyable experience with her new DSLR, so the only real option is the 700D (T5i) and the 18-135 STM. And if her friends all have cool DSLR's, you don't want her to show up with an under-sized EOS-M type camera.

The 700D is all cross-type AF points, I am assuming your wife will be in the auto mode (green rectangle) quite a bit (no matter what AF point the camera chooses, it will be a cross type AF point), and the 18-135 STM has very good image quality and focuses extremely fast. The 18-135 STM is a much better lens, IQ wise, focusing speed, silent AF and IS operations, when compared to a lens with an even greater focal range like the 18-200.

This combo, 700D + 18-135 STM, is going for $908.00 at B & H right now. If she desires to be more creative with her photography in the future, you can always pick up a cheap prime, when and if that situation ever occurs.

That is my .02 worth. Good luck!

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
M (and M2 probably as well) AF performance not sufficient for intended primary shooting situation - social pics, mainly indoors (=usually low to very low light, people typically moving)
I'm guessing you've either never used the M and are drastically underestimating it's AF abilities or you've never hung around married women in a social situation and are overestimating their level of activity.

Most women get by just fine with a P&S or camera phone in this situation, the AF on the M is superior to either of those, even with the 22/2 which is great for low-light indoor pics (I should know, I use it for my 16 month old daughter).

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
jebrady03 said:
AvTvM said:
M (and M2 probably as well) AF performance not sufficient for intended primary shooting situation - social pics, mainly indoors (=usually low to very low light, people typically moving)
I'm guessing you've either never used the M and are drastically underestimating it's AF abilities or you've never hung around married women in a social situation and are overestimating their level of activity.

Most women get by just fine with a P&S or camera phone in this situation, the AF on the M is superior to either of those, even with the 22/2 which is great for low-light indoor pics (I should know, I use it for my 16 month old daughter).

AF on the EOS M is a dog and definitely not superior to anything. Good P&S cameras like the Sony RX100 II run circles around it. Of course also helped by the smaller sensor and its wider DOF. And Nikon 1 AF beats EOS-M by miles, it can track moving subjects, M cannot.

"taking pics at parties" is what the TO mentioned as main use for wife's cam. While we don't know how mild or wild those parties usually are ;D ... I would definitely not recommend an EOS M as the best camera "to take pics at parties".

Upvote 0
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many replies!

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to ponder my dilemma and offer their thoughts and opinions.

There's no clear winner at present, so I'm still pondering on it myself.

Whilst my wife is fully involved in the decision, that doesn't help much as she doesn't really know herself what she wants. I'm inclined to agree though that a second-hand camera is not much of a gift, especially as I've now spotted some rust on the neck strap lugs :(

Regarding the pop-up flash, I've checked and sure enough the 10D does have a pop-up flash. I've either never used it/ realised it was there or the camera has been in the cupboard for so long that I just forgot. Unfortunately though, I've tried it out with the 24-105L lens attached and the pop-up flash is pretty useless as the lens is too long physically and casts a shadow on the image! I could buy a smaller lens for the 10D, but then for similar price I could buy a new body/lens kit. For various reasons then, I think we can rule out the 10D.

Opinions offered vary widely, but I'm beginning to err towards a compact with a decent sensor, the problem being that all of them have pros and cons so it's really difficult to choose!

I have a headache just considering all the options :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ereka said:
... my wife is fully involved in the decision, that doesn't help much as she doesn't really know herself what she wants.

From a feature standpoint, perhaps. But ergonomics is a big factor - if you haven't already, maybe learn from Goldilocks...take her to a camera shop to handle several options. That might help narrow down the choices...

Upvote 0
I agree with those recommending a 100D and 18-55 STM or 18-135 STM lens. The 100D is a terrific little camera that can do everything the 700D can in a smaller package.

An EOS-M with 22/2, 18-55 and 90EX flash is also a nice alternative if she feels a DSLR is too large. The M's AF is certainly good enough for the OP's listed intended uses.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
ereka said:
... my wife is fully involved in the decision, that doesn't help much as she doesn't really know herself what she wants.
From a feature standpoint, perhaps. But ergonomics is a big factor - if you haven't already, maybe learn from Goldilocks...take her to a camera shop to handle several options. That might help narrow down the choices...

Big +1 ... ergonomics and the "feel" of the camera and menus is a major factor, if you're cross with your camera you even if the "specs" are terrific you will have less fun and in turn produce worse results. For me, the xxd (60d, 70d, ...) is the smallest model I'd consider "usable" due to top lcd and back dial, but if you're a touchscreen person a newer Rebel might also work out.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
ereka said:

+1
At the end of the day, ergonomics might be the biggest factor in terms of whether you're going to enjoy using your camera not. Years ago, when I was trying to decide between similarly spec'ed Canon and Nikon cameras, I chose Canon because of the ergonomics. From a feature standpoint, for someone who is just beginning to use a DSLR, either the 100D or 700D would probably be perfectly fine. But the two will have a very different feeling the hand. A camera store that has both in stock will solve your dilemma. Let us know what your wife chooses.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
ereka said:

Well, I followed your advice and took my wife to a camera shop ... she spent a few seconds looking at a 100D and 700D before losing interest and making a beeline for the CSC section ... she seemed to particularly like a Nikon 1 J2/3 with red body and matching red lens (because it was all red, her favourite colour and 'cute').

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
ereka said:
Well, I followed your advice and took my wife to a camera shop ... she spent a few seconds looking at a 100D and 700D before losing interest and making a beeline for the CSC section ... she seemed to particularly like a Nikon 1 J2/3 with red body and matching red lens (because it was all red, her favourite colour and 'cute').

hehehe ... what did I say! Definitely not a bad choice either. While IQ is no match whatsoever for EOS-M and SL-1 it is plenty good enough for party pics to go on facebook. Build-in flash and surprisingly good AF. And can be found at low price. ;-)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ereka said:
neuroanatomist said:
ereka said:

My wife and I have been married for >20 years...I've learned there are some things I can shop for, and others it's far better to let her pick on her own. ;)

Upvote 0