16GB CF PANIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I last purchased a lexar card, I was given a free copy of Lexars Image Rescue... You can use any card on it and mac friendly. It's kinda slow and even can recover images after a reformat (even though some may be kinda screwy, but it can work)...

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-image-rescue-4-software?category=429

It's worth a try... at this point anything is better than nothing....

Upvote 0
M

meinthai

Hi All

Thanks for the advice both in recovery and backing up systems.

I'm glad to say I took it to my regular camera shop in Bangkok (I'm in thailand) and for about $15 they recovered all the images. a couple were corrupted and they all lost their original file names, but that's a small price to pay. Not sure what software they use, but I got the card back the next day. They said it can happen with cheap card readers if card are ejected improperly.

I promptly brought the best card reader they had in the shop, a Kingston product.

Thanks again all

:)

Upvote 0
meinthai said:
I'm glad to say I took it to my regular camera shop in Bangkok (I'm in thailand) and for about $15 they recovered all the images.
A very reasonable price, glad you got it sorted :)

unfocused said:
But, now I am wondering: is there any greater risk of corrupting files when switching between the camera and a card reader? Does anyone know, or have some thoughts on this. I've never had a problem with downloading straight from the camera. Am I just being paranoid?
I work with electronics and my feelings are mixed on this, I'm not sure about CF cards in particular but many connectors I use professionally that look quite robust are only rated for 500 insertion / removals. They're probably using very conservative numbers in their datasheets but still it's not a great number, and CF card pins are tiny, so I'd guess a USB connector is more mechnically robust plus it has a lot less pins to fail.

As for non-mechanical failures your camera could have a bug in the USB stack, hardware or drivers that could cause corruption, but so could a card reader. Personally I download via USB, and if my camera fails can switch to a card reader, but I don't think it's a question with a really clear cut answer and I'm sure plenty of people would argue either way.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.