1DX "Caution 02" Warnings AND Filthy Sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nazareth

This is a shout out to all who have the canon 1DX and have the issues that are listed below-

For those that have the Canon 1DX, Have any of you seen the 'Caution 02" (Which is to warn about a suppsoed unexpected drop in battery power)? You'll find any system warnigns under the 1: 'System Status Display' choice in the 4'th section of the yellow wrench in the menu - If you haven't viewed these before, you'll need to click on the 'system status display' - then click info, then I beleive click info again when you select one of the warnigns cautions (If you have any listed there?)

I've searched the itnernet but there is VERY little info on this issue- I've contacted canon services via email- but haven';t hearde back yet, and they'll probably want me to send it in to them isntead of just explaining what the problem might be-

I have updated firmware to latest version- but hte problem existed even before the uopdate- I've only had abotu 4 of these 'caution 02' warnings

On another note- did anyoen notice an unusually filthy sensor filter when viewign photos of sky with small aperatures (abotu f16-22 or so?) My sensor filter was absolutely filthy on a suppsoedly brand new camera, (Which was bought from Amazon.com ltd liscenced which I can imagine anyone messign with the camera before selling it since amazon's reputation is on the line- it could happen i suppose, but it would seem unlikely- I read soemwhere that the canon 6d's are arrivign with, or get filthy sensor filter shortly after firing a few shots- soem thinking perhaps a lubricant is causing dirty sensors? The grunge and dust I saw ion soem moon shots at F22 in the sky was shocking! In 3 years of usign my canon 7d with many many lens changes i nthe field, I have never seen dust dirt and grime liek htis on my sensor- but this brand new 1DX was just absolutely filthy- soem of it was dust- and fell off with compressed air, but most of it is either lubricant or really stuck on dust- I suspect it's lubricant htough as it looks morel ike grime smears than dustr particles when viewed enlarged

Have a look at this fred miranda thread to see what I'm talking about in regards to the filthy sensor filter- we're not talking about just usualy dust here- as you'll see- My sensor filter is just as filthy as the one in the link, and others in photocamel who own the 1DX have shared that their sensor filters are also filthy when they bought it new or shortly after- the amount of spots and grunge is very unusually high. I've heard from several new 1DX owners that in their years of ownign and using cameras and changing lenses etc, they have never seen the amount of filth and grunge o ntheir sensors as they've seen o ntheir new 1DX's sensors- and that too has been my experience- there seems to be an issue with the 1DX's sensor filter or soem lubricant i nthe camera splattering all over trhe filter or something- If anyone here who owns the 1DX has these two issues (The warning/caution 02) and the dirty sensor filter despite camera being new, please post your experience here- thanks

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1153198/0

Steve Todd

Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
Jul 20, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
Only had "caution 02" once. It was when I first got the camera and had used one of the factory batteries from one of my 1D4 bodies (less than fully charged) to operate the 1D X while it's battery was getting its initial charge. Since then, no further occurance so far (over eight battery charges using both 1D4 and 1D X batteries.
Sensor was fine right out of the box (B&H purchase, Nov 2012).
I have several friends/associates who own 1D X bodies and have not heard of either problem from them.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
FWIW, my 1DX's sensor needed to be cleaned right out of the box (four or five spots).

There's still some particles either on my focus screen or within the viewfinder chamber (doesn't affect image, but shows up in viewfinder).

You'd hope for nearly $7000 they'd at least clean the things before shipping them -- or, better yet, assemble them in a clean room :)

Shawn L.

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Thanks Shawn- Did you clean it yourself, or have itr cleaned? Specifically, did you clean it with swabs or some other method if tyou did it yourself?

I can't be sure of course, but I suspect soemone at the warehouse might have opened the camera and was palying aroudn with hte shutter at 12 fps just to hgear it click- I should have checked the shutter count as I opened the box, but I didn't think to as I mindlessly assumed I waas buyign a brand new camera-

I'm not for sure htis happened- perhaps it didn't- but if not, then liek you say, they either assembled it in a sand storm i nthe midwest soemwhere- or what I'm seeign is lubricant that is gettign splattered on sensor filter for the first few 1000 shots or so until the excess lubricant finally settles down to where it won't spray anymore- Again- I'm not sure htis is what's happening, but soemthign is definately not right- not when the sensor looks like the shots in the link I posted to Miranda's site I'll try postign a photo here- hopefully it;ll work- it's just a small crop of my sky shot and the whole photo is like what you'll see- not just trhe crop area- lots of spots are faint- but noticeable- Well, can't seem to post photo- but here's the flickr link just right click the photo and choose the largest size to see the spots better- http://www.flickr.com/photos/55331349@N05/8235915673/#sizes/k/in/photostream/

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Steve Todd said:
Only had "caution 02" once. It was when I first got the camera and had used one of the factory batteries from one of my 1D4 bodies (less than fully charged) to operate the 1D X while it's battery was getting its initial charge. Since then, no further occurance so far (over eight battery charges using both 1D4 and 1D X batteries.
Sensor was fine right out of the box (B&H purchase, Nov 2012).
I have several friends/associates who own 1D X bodies and have not heard of either problem from them.
Hope this helps.

Yeah, my caution 02 warnigns are very intermitten- no real rhym or reason to when they occur- I've had it happen on full charged battery, 1/2 charge, and very low charged batttery right before takign it out to charge it. I'm not sure hte problem is significant- probably not, but it"s just wierd that it's happenign to soem of us and not others-

Have your friends/associates ever cleaned the 1DX themselves? Or do they send them out to have them cleaned?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Geez, people - RTFM. There's an entire section on the 'randomly distributed narrow-aperture diffraction test pattern'. Just look it up, and also note the part about extended use as a healing brush calibration tool. Here Canon gives you this great straight-from-the-factory feature, and they don't even charge extra for it...and all you do is whine.

:p

FWIW, I removed my 'features' with a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly 724 Super Bright.

Upvote 0

Steve Todd

Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
Jul 20, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
Only clean my sensors with a blower bulb (no compressed air or anything else). If that doesen't do the job, off to Canon they go (Canon Service Center, Irvine CA). Same story for the many folks I know. A few people I know have tried cleaning senors themselves, sometimes only to find either they botched the job or worse, had to send their bodies to Canon for cleaning/repair. For me, it's just not worth the risk. Plus, Canon does a full system check for you when they have the body for cleaning. The check also includes an exact shutter actuation count as part of the service report.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Mt Spokane Photography said:
Nazareth said:
- I read soemwhere that the canon 6d's are arrivign with, or get filthy sensor filter shortly after firing a few shots- soem thinking perhaps a lubricant is causing dirty sensors?
You might be a bit confused on this. Its the Nikon D600 with dust issues. Are you sure you have a D1X :)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/21/nikon-d600-dust-timelapse

LOL Spokane- My bad, I have a point and shoot- not sure how I mistook it for a 1DX lol- j/k

Yep- yhou're right- I did say 6d- had the 6d on my mind when I wrote that for some reason- it was the D600's that were reporting sensor filth on their brand new cameras=

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Steve Todd said:
Only clean my sensors with a blower bulb (no compressed air or anything else). If that doesen't do the job, off to Canon they go (Canon Service Center, Irvine CA). Same story for the many folks I know. A few people I know have tried cleaning senors themselves, sometimes only to find either they botched the job or worse, had to send their bodies to Canon for cleaning/repair. For me, it's just not worth the risk. Plus, Canon does a full system check for you when they have the body for cleaning. The check also includes an exact shutter actuation count as part of the service report.

Thansk Steve, I'm probably goign to have to end up sending it in- the extent of the dirt is just too much- once the stubborn spots are gone, the actual dry dust that will coem later will most likely be able to be taken care of with rocket blower or similar- I've watched a lot of videos online about cleanign sensors on other cameras, and htey make it seem like it was no big deal as long as we're careful- but the link to the fred miranda site I listed made me think twice abotu attempting it- Photogtraphy is definately a rich man's/woman's hobby that's for sure- I think perhaps I'm in a bit over my head as the costs of cleaning with shipping,insurance and actual cleaning will eventually be a bit much-

I just nevr rant into this with my Canon 7D- had a few dust spots- but no big deal- they eventually worked their way off the filter- I just never imagined the 1DX beign so dirty a filter right off the bat-

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

neuroanatomist said:
Geez, people - RTFM. There's an entire section on the 'randomly distributed narrow-aperture diffraction test pattern'. Just look it up, and also note the part about extended use as a healing brush calibration tool. Here Canon gives you this great straight-from-the-factory feature, and they don't even charge extra for it...and all you do is whine.

FWIW, I removed my 'features' with a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly 724 Super Bright.

Well that's fine- but there's so many that healing them all out on every sky photo will be a monumental task- What healing feature are you talking about from Canon? Is that feature gouign to work on photos that are completely covered in small medium and larger spots?

Upvote 0
Nazareth said:
neuroanatomist said:

Well that's fine- but there's so many that healing them all out on every sky photo will be a monumental task- What healing feature are you talking about from Canon? Is that feature gouign to work on photos that are completely covered in small medium and larger spots?

He was joking...

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

bvukich said:
Nazareth said:
neuroanatomist said:

He was joking...

Well I just installed the DPP software that is suppsoed to detect the 1DX's 'dust detection' profile- qwhich in turn is suppsoed to 'automatically remove' any dust spots, but it didn't work- I'll do another profile on the 1DX tomorrow and try again- but I tried twice tonight without any success-

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Well this is direct from Canon services

"I sincerely apologize for any dust that may have gotten on your sensor after manufacturing or during shipping. I can assure you that the sensor is not any more or less delicate than any of our other sensors, and all of our sensors for a long time have had the filter sealed to the sensor unit in some way."

And then the usual 'please send it in for cleaning- we don't recommend customers clean their sensors in any way shape or form' etc.

The email said that the sensors have been sealed to the filter in soem way shape or form for awhile, but just wondering how a company like lifepixel can replace just the sensor filter if it's sealed to the sensor itself? If they can do this, why can't canon replace just the sensor filter alone?

but anyways, there's Canon's response to my questions to them about the fagility of the sensor, and whether it is 'hermetically sealed' to the filter like was indicated in the fred miranda site thread-

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Geez, people - RTFM.
I feel like Bill Murray's character in Scrooged - "Scare the Dickens out of people...Nobody gets me."

Nazareth said:
The email said that the sensors have been sealed to the filter in soem way shape or form for awhile, but just wondering how a company like lifepixel can replace just the sensor filter if it's sealed to the sensor itself? If they can do this, why can't canon replace just the sensor filter alone?

The 'filter' is actually several layers thick. The horizontal layer of the AA filter, the 1/4-wave plate (what Canon calls the 'phaser layer') and the IR cut filter are bonded together, and this assembly is what vibrates for the 'self-cleaning sensor'. It's the surface of this outer stack that you're cleaning when you 'clean the sensor'. The vertical layer of the AA filter is bonded to the sensor itself (well, on top of the microlens array, which sits on top of the Bayer mask, which sits on top of the sensor). Lifepixel et al., aren't replacing the whole filter, just the part of the filter that's separate from the sensor itself.

5dmark2_feature_07b.jpg

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

[[I feel like Bill Murray's character in Scrooged - "Scare the Dickens out of people...Nobody gets me."]]

I didn't take it badly Neuro- I just didn't udnerstand what you were talking about in regards to the dust delete by canon- I think you meant the DPP program- but I tried makign several dust delete profiles incamera, and then using DPP but it didn't seem to work at all-

I knew abotu hte sensor being made up of several compelx layers- but I didn't realize that the actual filter was seperate like that- I thought it was actually attached to the whole sensor unit by the way canon made it appear- I'm not sure why canon woudl want to change the whole unit (other than getting morem oeny for doign so perhaps)? If just the filter gets scratched, a $500 or so dollar repair would be much preferable to $2500 or so repair charge- and much less unervign when attemptign to clean a sensor filter if just hte filter itself coudl be replaced- I've heard of some folks talking canon and nikon into replacing just the filter- but I wonder what kind of battle they had convincing the companies to only change the filters? I'm not good at arguing for my case I'm afraid- and woudl no doubt end up having to pay for hte hwole unit- but alas- this is all just counting chickens beforee they hatch-

I think I'm probably goign to just send it in for hte first cleanign at least, as I think with hte possible lubricant on the lens that it would be too much of a risk/taks to tackle the sensor myself if it's indeed soem kind of liquid or lubricant. I hate to be without the camera for 2 or so weeks- but I guess that's the route i'm goign to have to take- After it's cleaned (Hopefulyl cleaned by canon) it shouldn't be too hard to keep it fairly dust free with regular dust with a rocket blower- I went 3 years with my canon 7D with no real significant sensor dust problems- I try to avoid changing lenses ourside if possible- and have been pretty fortunate in avoiding problematic dust so far.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Nazareth said:
I didn't take it badly Neuro- I just didn't udnerstand what you were talking about in regards to the dust delete by canon- I think you meant the DPP program- but I tried makign several dust delete profiles incamera, and then using DPP but it didn't seem to work at all

...I think with hte possible lubricant on the lens that it would be too much of a risk/taks to tackle the sensor myself if it's indeed soem kind of liquid or lubricant...

Nope, just making a joke.

Not sure why the dust delete profile isn't working for you, it certainly should work. But I've never tried it, myself.

My 1D X came iwth a fair bit of dust, just dust. I have no problem cleaning that off, and I think that's a skill every dSLR owner should have, since no matter what you do, dust will get on your sensor. But lubricant from the shutter mechanism, etc., is another story. If that was the case, I'd send it to Canon, too.

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Well that's my dilemma- eventually I'll have to either clean it myself, or spend money to have it cleaned at local camera store for way too much $$- Yep, I can send it to have it cleaned once for free by canon techs- but their free isn't really free either- it'll cost shipping both ways I assume, plus insurance- not cheap- I'd like to be able to clean it myself- and after watching numerous videos on you tube by many different folks who routinely clean their own cameras, I was feeling pretty confident about attempting it myself, but then as bad luck would have it, I ran across that fred miranda forum post about the sensor unit supposedly being more fragile- and a sealed unit that would necessitate replacing the whole sensor unit- sensor and all, IF the sensor filter got scratched- I then lost my nerve- IF just the sensor filter could be replaced (for around $400-$500) that wouldn't be such a big deal- and would be 'worth the risk' by trying to clean the sensor filter myself- but when I read about the sensor and filter being 'hermetically sealed' together, it kinda rattled me knowing that replacing the whole unit is more like $2500 or more should something happen to it

I have no problem with soemthign like rocket air- that doesn't unnerve me so much- but the wet method swabs does- I think my sensor will definately need the swab treatment at least this once to get the stubborn grime/dirt/dust or whatever it is off- once that's off, it shoudl be an easier time cleanign off regular dust- A little dust is fine- but my sensor right now is just too grimy-

I'm not positive it's lubricant- I just read 'thedigiticalpicture.com review of the 1DX and in that review he states his 1DX was the dirtiest sensor filter He'd ever seen too- He was able to get msot of it off via rocket blower- but still had to use swabs to get what remained off- Maybe my sensor's grime is just stubborn dust- it's hard to tell- if so, a very gentle swab might be enough to get the sensor filter at least mostly clean- but then if I try to clean it, and it doesn't clean off well, and I end up havign to send it in- then they may refuse because I voided the warranty- Uggggg! I gotta really think about it for another day or two- like you say though, eventually I'll have to learn to clean it myself due to $$ costs after warranty ends

Upvote 0
I sent my 1Dx in a couple weeks after I got it because it was a dust magnet. They said everything was "in spec" and cleaned it and sent it back. I haven't shot much other than 2.8-5.6 images so don't notice anything, yet.

As for the Caution 2.. I had that as well. Turned out the battery was faulty. One minute the battery level would show 75%, 5 minutes later the battery light was flashing on the LCD to replace it. So both of my batteries went in, they replaced one of them with a new one and no problems since.

Upvote 0
N

Nazareth

Thanks Jim-

My battery doesn't actually lose power- and doesn't indicate it's losing power incamera- which is what's got me puzzled about it- Your definately soiunded like a faulty battery though- My caution 02 messages coem with either of my two btteries- one htat came with hte camera, and one that I bought extra- maybe both are faulty, but again, there seems to be no rhym or reason as to when hte error happens, coudl happen on a full charge, 1/2 charged, or low battery- It's just a wierd situation

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.