1DX Mark II - User Manual available for download

Aug 27, 2015
tron said:
midluk said:
They forgot to mention how you enter food mode. 8)
Or it doesn't have food mode, then nobody will buy this and canon is doomed! ;)
They do not mention it because there is no food mode. So it cannot take food pictures. You need a 1300D for that ;D ;D ;D
If I had preordered a 1DX2, I would likely cancel it and get a 1300D instead then. This missing food mode will kill 1DX2 sales for sure. ;D

Upvote 0
GuyF said:
Maybe not the ideal thread to post the question but, what are the practical benefits of having an adjustable shutter release time lag (p440 of manual)? The manual talks about, "...stabilization control is performed to stabilize the shutter-release time lag...". Any scenarios where this adjustment would be noticable?

I think it offers a trade-off between either a maximally short, but variable shutter lag, vs. a constant shutter lag, regardless of aperture, lens, and other parameters.

I don't know if I could notice a small difference such as this one, but when I used to shoot flamenco shows, I'd routinely trigger the shutter in rhythm with the music. In a way, you could say that I triggered the shutter with a degree of proactivity. In that situation I think a constant shutter lag could possibly be beneficial.

On the other hand, in fully reactive situations, it might be better to have the shortest shutter lag possible.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
GuyF said:
Maybe not the ideal thread to post the question but, what are the practical benefits of having an adjustable shutter release time lag (p440 of manual)? The manual talks about, "...stabilization control is performed to stabilize the shutter-release time lag...". Any scenarios where this adjustment would be noticable?

It's all a timing thing. After 10'000's of shots we get used to the shutter lag and can be very precise about timing, but to be predictable the camera actually takes longer to take a picture than it needs to in some situations, this is normally due to the fact that is takes x thousandths of a second to close the aperture, if you shoot wide open the release time could be less.

What this setting does is take away the predictability, or a photographers ability to predict the peak of action, and replace it with potentially faster shutter releases.

Upvote 0
tron said:
midluk said:
They do not mention it because there is no food mode. So it cannot take food pictures. You need a 1300D for that ;D ;D ;D

Actually the 1dx ii will be the best to capture fast-food

Upvote 0
saveyourmoment said:
tron said:
midluk said:
Actually the 1dx ii will be the best to capture fast-food
Fast like that?
41097941-hamburger-with-bird-wings-that-flying-3d-illustration-Stock-Illustration.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing! The manual gives you a glimpse of what to expect from the camera. I like some of the improved settings and Look forward to "hearing" the silent shooting mode in action. My 1DX is a little too loud sometimes.
One thing I am disappointed about is the lack of in-camera HDR. Multiple exposure is not as easy. I have tried a friend's 5D III and the HDR mode is actually very good. Specially for interior design photos with dark interiors and bright days.
Also I would have liked more Touch LCD functions like on the consumer cameras.
I don't understand why Canon and other brands remove consumer-like features from the Pro cameras.
I think this will be the best camera Canon has ever done. I love my 1DX and I can't wait for next month!
Maybe the 1DX Mark III will have a bigger touch screen, eye focusing and 36MP.
I preordered it with the CFast bundle! Very excited! ;D

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
privatebydesign said:
GuyF said:

It's all a timing thing. After 10'000's of shots we get used to the shutter lag and can be very precise about timing, but to be predictable the camera actually takes longer to take a picture than it needs to in some situations, this is normally due to the fact that is takes x thousandths of a second to close the aperture, if you shoot wide open the release time could be less.

What this setting does is take away the predictability, or a photographers ability to predict the peak of action, and replace it with potentially faster shutter releases.
Correct me if I am wrong, I believe that this must be 55msec (or somewhere close to that) from the F1 era. I remember my EOS RT having a very short time lag due to the transparent mirror but there was a custom option to increase it!

Upvote 0