1DX vs 5D3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested to hear from anyone who has used both cameras. I have two 5D3s and I am a wedding photographer. I love my cameras but I am always curious if there is something better that will help me do my job better. I am interested if the AF is just a little faster and better and I have also read that the sensor may be a little better. Anyone have any experience with the two cameras?

S

Sh1n1ng Forc3

Well, I do own both and have been shooting with the 1DX for about 2 weeks now. The 1DX that I have is very fast when it comes to AF, but as with all cameras, it depends on the light, lens, AF mode and skill/technique. Assuming you have fast lenses (2.8 and faster) and know how/when to use the AF modes etc the 1DX will not disappoint. When compared with the 5D3 I would say the AF on the 1DX is faster and can be very accurate when used well (and can be very impressive when used in conjunction with its high speed 12fps). As for IQ they are really very similar. You will get a different noise pattern between the 2 (I actually prefer the noise pattern on the 5D3 but this is completely subjective). The 1DX does have a slightly better high ISO performance showing less noise. All in all the 1DX has been a pleasure to shoot with and has more options for customization (such as spot metering linked to AF point selected, 2 M.fn buttons, AE & FE adjustment etc). As I am not a wedding photographer I cannot say if you will appreciate these differences but I don't think the AF alone would be worth the upgrade as in my testing it is best taken advantage of in quick movement (sports, bif etc) but maybe it would be for you. Rent one and take it along to verify.

Upvote 0
I'll have a lot, lot more tests tomorrow, but so far I haven't seen any difference in IQ at all, around ISO 100-400. I didn't crop either, so I have a lot more to examine. As can be expected, the color rendition is slightly different, as for my tests I'll just leave each cam in Portrait Mode (my favorite on the 1Ds 3). The tests I'll be doing will be among the 1D X, 1D Mark IV, and 5D Mark III. I think those are very appropriate comparisons regarding the magnitude of each camera.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
I'll have a lot, lot more tests tomorrow, but so far I haven't seen any difference in IQ at all, around ISO 100-400. I didn't crop either, so I have a lot more to examine. As can be expected, the color rendition is slightly different, as for my tests I'll just leave each cam in Portrait Mode (my favorite on the 1Ds 3). The tests I'll be doing will be among the 1D X, 1D Mark IV, and 5D Mark III. I think those are very appropriate comparisons regarding the magnitude of each camera.

Looking forward to your test. If you don't mind sharing results please post on this thread or at least a link on this thread. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have the 1D X, the 5D Mark III and further bodies.

1D X ist faster, AF is better and the picture quality is better in hight ISO shots.

The 5D Mark III has a smaller body and the C1 to C3 on the wheel. If I was a wedding Photographer I would prefer the 5D Mark III.

In the range ISO 50 to 200 my old 1Ds Mark III beats the 1D X and the 5D Mark III, but the 1Ds Mark III is much slower and not so good in high ISO shots.

I use the 1D X for sports, action and wildlife. For portraits and landscape I use the 1Ds Mark III, the 5D Mark III and the 5D Mark II.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
M.ST said:
I have the 1D X, the 5D Mark III and further bodies.

1D X ist faster, AF is better and the picture quality is better in hight ISO shots.

The 5D Mark III has a smaller body and the C1 to C3 on the wheel. If I was a wedding Photographer I would prefer the 5D Mark III.

In the range ISO 50 to 200 my old 1Ds Mark III beats the 1D X and the 5D Mark III, but the 1Ds Mark III is much slower and not so good in high ISO shots.

I use the 1D X for sports, action and wildlife. For portraits and landscape I use the 1Ds Mark III, the 5D Mark III and the 5D Mark II.

This is so interesting to me. So there is visible difference in quality if you shoot landscapes with Mark III?

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
What do you guys want to see? Just tell me and I'll spend the next few days doing it. I have the 1D X, 5D3, and 1D4. I can shoot whatever.

I am most interested in High ISO comparison. Primarily ISO 6400 through 25800.

I currently have a 1DIV and a 5DII and I doubt that any features would get me exited enough to make the upgrade other then Image Quality at high ISO. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade the 1DIV to a 1DX or rather upgrade the 5DII to a 5DIII. Or do nothing at all.

I primarily shoot wildlife... so if you are able to shoot a few high ISO shots with each body at a texture rich subject and post to compare at 100% that would be awesome! (Ideally right out of camera with no default or additional NR)

Thanks for asking and have fun working with your new tools...

Upvote 0
I read the KR comparison and find it interesting when he talks about how the ISO of the 5d3 is incorrectly calibrated, so when you set it to ISO 100, it really is shooting at 160-200, and so on. For marketing purposes it would help since now 12800 is very usable even if it is only 6400, and also explains why the 5d3 at similar (100-400) ISO's has more noise than the D800...

Upvote 0
Wilmark said:
ken Rockwell said:
"drenched consumer cameras like the 5D Mark II or Mark III, are all dead"
Dont agree with this!

The 1D series has better sealing but the MkIII and the 7D are not that backward either, Certainly not Dead!

I'd agree on the 5d2, although it did survive a Burning Man just fine with all that fine dust & grit (sent it in for cleaning afterwards though). My 5d3? Based on it's feel in my hand I'd say with an appropriately weather sealed lens it'd probably last through a rain storm. Being dunked in water? I highly doubt it, although I wouldn't be surprised if the 1DX could survive brief immersion in extremely shallow water. Assuming the lens cooperated of course.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.