1DXII` What Toys, er, accessories did you buy for yours?

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
neuroanatomist said:
I'll speak from 1D X experience – extra battery, RRS L-bracket, and I reused an E1 handstrap from a prior body.

Agree strongly with PBD, the modular design of the RRS L-bracket is awesome, I usually leave the upright portion off the camera for handheld use, attach it when planning to use a tripod. Great that the hex key stores in the bracket.

The other 'accessory' I really like is my functional replacement body cap - the 40/2.8 pancake lens. :)

Thanks Neuro- always sage advice.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Thanks all.

So far, tonight I order the extra battery, the RRS L Plate, and extra card. I have a month to order the 40 mm pancake.

So, what about an LCD protector?
Anyone purchase an extended 5 year warranty from B&H, which actually is 5 years minus the 13 month Canon warranty?

And Dang. Camera will be delayed until Tuesday. Guess I'll have to do something else over the holiday.

Thx.

sek

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
RGF said:
Will the 1Dx RRS Bottom and L bracket fit the 1Dx Mark II? According to the RRS site it seems will.

Eldar says they fit.
The 1DX-II body shape and layout is identical to the 1DX, as far as the L-bracket is concerned. That is actually one of the things I really appreciate with Canon. I kept the RRS L-bracket and a spare battery from my 1DX, works just fine (except a minor reduction in fps). Layout, menus and all the rest of it is almost identical, so it took me just a few minutes to set it up exactly as my 1DX and I was ready to go.

Only outstanding issues now is for Canon to supply the CFast card & reader (incredibly slow ...) and to get FoCal support for AFMA. I have done a manual AFMA on the most critical lenses though and the 1066x CF cards works well for what I have been shooting up until now, so it is not a big deal.

Update: RRS is now listing the B1DX-L L-bracket as a 1DX/1DX-II bracket.

Upvote 0
I love to use precision focussing screens. So bad the 5D3 doesn't (natively) supports the exchange of the focussing screens (the 5D1 did!) as the 1D does...

Dylan777 said:
Screen protectors [...] are top my list when buying new body.

Will screen protectors work with the new touch functionality of the 1Dx2 ?
Why oh why can they not make the screens of gorilla-glass?

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
sulla said:
Will screen protectors work with the new touch functionality of the 1Dx2 ?
Why oh why can they not make the screens of gorilla-glass?

Screen protectors should work as the touch screen on the new 1DX II is a capacitive touch screen, like the iPhones.

Even if the screen were gorilla glass (and it actually might be), I'd still put a screen protector on there. Screens tend to get bashed a lot while carrying the camera with a strap, and a lot of the time screens have anti-reflective coatings applied to them; while the glass itself may not scratch, coatings always do.

My question is: what brand of screen protectors are people using here?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sulla said:
I love to use precision focussing screens. So bad the 5D3 doesn't (natively) supports the exchange of the focussing screens (the 5D1 did!) as the 1D does...

Does the 1D X II support (in firmware) the -S screen? The 1D X doesn't, it physically fits but the camera doesn't compensate for metering.

Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
TAW said:
A Samsung EVO 2TB SSD to save all those images, 256GB cFast card from eBay (I hate changing cards!) and a few odds and ends from RRS... I love toys and accessories... ;D

TAW- I love RRS. What are you getting?

sek

I love their gear also... I got a new monopod that also has two brackets (they call it the Safari Rig). You can also use the clamps independently and attach a ball head to them. Sometime I want to go visit their operation...!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
sulla said:

Does the 1D X II support (in firmware) the -S screen? The 1D X doesn't, it physically fits but the camera doesn't compensate for metering.
No, same as the 1DX. You must compensate for exposure (about 2/3-1 stop), but from experience it is not a major problem. However, I have played with the standard focusing screen and focus confirm on the 1DX-II and it is surprisingly accurate and much more so than the 1DX was. Even at f/1.4 I get a very high keeper rate. What they have done, if anything, is unknown to me. It might even be that I am just lucky with my copy.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
scottkinfw said:
JMZawodny said:
I ordered a spare battery when I pre-ordered the body. I got the RRS B1Dx base plate. I did not go for the modular L bracket as I have the Pano-Gimbal when needed. I have a Lexar 128GB 3400x CFast card coming directly from Asia. It should be here any day and was half the price compared to either Amazon or the on-line camera shops. If that works out well I'll likely get a second one. I'll be waiting for the EF 24-70 F/2.8L III or IS to replace my original EF 24-70

That sounds great. Please, if the card works out, post a link and give us your thoughts.

Sek

The card arrived in the mail today. It was a flawless transaction with very prompt shipping, faster than average from Hong Kong. The card was well packed, formatted promptly in camera, and seems to work as expected. I purchased it on eBay from seller "greenshopping2011". I paid $159 for the Lexar 128GB 3400x, but I see the price has gone up to $199. That is still a decent savings over retail.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
sulla said:

No, same as the 1DX. You must compensate for exposure (about 2/3-1 stop), but from experience it is not a major problem. However, I have played with the standard focusing screen and focus confirm on the 1DX-II and it is surprisingly accurate and much more so than the 1DX was. Even at f/1.4 I get a very high keeper rate. What they have done, if anything, is unknown to me. It might even be that I am just lucky with my copy.

You can micro adjust the exposure just like you do AF so technically it does. I've never done it so don't know what the range for adjustment is. To me it makes sense to omit the screen presets if you can tweak the default exposure level. Saves memory space for other cool features.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
J.R. said:
An extra battery.

Next I'll be getting the Kirk L bracket. Was planning on the wireless transmitter WFT-E8A but many here have suggested the camranger, so that may follow.
I think that you would be much happier with the WFT-8A. Speed wise, its gigabit, and will be long range. The cam ranger is shot range, slow, and has a considerable lag time. The battery life is very limited. Research it carefully, it is ok for still subjects.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
J.R. said:
An extra battery.

Next I'll be getting the Kirk L bracket. Was planning on the wireless transmitter WFT-E8A but many here have suggested the camranger, so that may follow.
I think that you would be much happier with the WFT-8A. Speed wise, its gigabit, and will be long range. The cam ranger is shot range, slow, and has a considerable lag time. The battery life is very limited. Research it carefully, it is ok for still subjects.

I have not found the CamRanger battery life to be especially limited, indeed I have two batteries as that is what came when I got it, but I never use more than one in a days worth of shooting.

These wireless solutions do each have their strengths and weaknesses, the Canon WFT's have unbelievable complex setup and customization to get the best out if it, they also, in my experience, have fickle connections and are reluctant, once dropped, to rejoin by themselves. The CamRanger is the opposite, setup is a breeze and it rarely drops networks, and happily reconnects without prompting after a disconnect.

But truthfully they are designed for different jobs, thought the functionality does overlap. The WFT are solid weatherproof file servers designed to send images from remote cameras and photographers to centralized work stations, the CamRanger is designed as an extension of the camera for the primary shooter at closer range, use a pole? CamRanger, use remoote lights with the camera on a tripod? Use a CamRanger. Want to show clients and people at the shoot your images on the fly? CamRanger. Need to shoot the Super Bowl and send your images in jpeg in real time to your picture editor for his team to distribute as the action happens? WFT.

Having used both WFT's and CamRangers my needs are closer to the CamRanger's functionality, so I sold the WFT's.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
RGF said:
Will the 1Dx RRS Bottom and L bracket fit the 1Dx Mark II? According to the RRS site it seems will.

Eldar says they fit.
The 1DX-II body shape and layout is identical to the 1DX, as far as the L-bracket is concerned. That is actually one of the things I really appreciate with Canon. I kept the RRS L-bracket and a spare battery from my 1DX, works just fine (except a minor reduction in fps). Layout, menus and all the rest of it is almost identical, so it took me just a few minutes to set it up exactly as my 1DX and I was ready to go.

Only outstanding issues now is for Canon to supply the CFast card & reader (incredibly slow ...) and to get FoCal support for AFMA. I have done a manual AFMA on the most critical lenses though and the 1066x CF cards works well for what I have been shooting up until now, so it is not a big deal.

Update: RRS is now listing the B1DX-L L-bracket as a 1DX/1DX-II bracket.
R1-7D said:
sulla said:
R1-7D said:
I'm using a LARMOR on my 5D3 and a GGS on my 5D1. Both have good quality and were easy to apply.

Thank you for the reply. I'll look into both companies. :)

Update on the RRS L Bracket. It does work on the 1DXII. I understand some modifications were made to the design. I ordered today despite the fact that it is out of stock. I spoke with Scott at RRS and he says they are taking pre-orders and they should ship 1st week of June or "early" June.

sek

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

CR Pro
R1-7D said:
sulla said:
R1-7D said:
I'm using a LARMOR on my 5D3 and a GGS on my 5D1. Both have good quality and were easy to apply.

Thank you for the reply. I'll look into both companies. :)

Please report back on your findings.

Thanks.

sek

Upvote 0