2022 is scheduled to ‘The Year of the Camera Body’ [CR3]

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Consider the alternatives. I'm thinking of getting an XF605 camcorder. I already own a Vixia HF G60.
I already have the XA50. Next for me will bee the R6 (will buy it when I actually need it, now I got a different job with gear provided) and then a cinema camera with SDI, ND, bigger sensor than 1", preferably full size XLR etc. It could be the C70, but if Canon comes up with something along the lines of a C200 ii/FX6 I will go for that. Currently using a C300 ii at work.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Canon doesn't need more R camera bodies, they need more RF lenses.
I disagree. There is much more room for R bodies. Five bodies (3 of which are over $2000) doesn't give us that many options. EF lenses on the other hand are still as good today as they were yesterday and adaptable to R bodies. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to more RF lens options, but I think there is a good foundation there already.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Reading the post again, R5C and R1 are not for me. I was focusing on everyone's R replacement comments, but I totally skipped over that both the R and the RP are getting new versions. Now that I have an R5 and R6, I'm a bit more interested in seeing how small of a body they can go with a full frame sensor. Especially now that there are a bunch of the smaller STM primes out now and not just giant L lenses.

And if they're going to put out two cheaper end R full frame bodies, I think that gives a higher chance that the APS-C body is the R7 and not the beginning of the R Rebel line.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Reading the post again, R5C and R1 are not for me. I was focusing on everyone's R replacement comments, but I totally skipped over that both the R and the RP are getting new versions. Now that I have an R5 and R6, I'm a bit more interested in seeing how small they can go with a full frame sensor. And if they're going to put out two cheaper end R full frame bodies, I think that gives a higher chance that tee APS-C body is the R7 and not the beginning of the R Rebel line.
Can't see any point in making budget consumer "Rebel" cameras anymore as they've been replaced by smartphones (which are actually better for everyday snapshots anyway)
Only professional and enthusiast cameras still sell reasonably well now

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Can't see any point in making budget consumer "Rebel" cameras anymore as they've been replaced by smartphones (which are actually better for everyday snapshots anyway)
If that’s true, why do Canon’s entry level Rebel/Kiss DSLR and MILC kits remain at the top of the best-seller lists?

The question is rhetorical, of course. Your statements are contradicted by the facts. If you can’t see the point in making camera lines that continue to sell very well, you’re blind to reality.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I don't know enough about how much parts cost for the sensor sizes and how that leads to total body cost. That would be the main reason, if something like that is needed to get a full range of body prices. But if it doesn't make all that much of a difference, then yeah I don't know what the point would be.

Unless, (more manufacturing things I don't know) if they also want to go for smallest body size possible to test the waters about dropping the M line so they can stick to just the one mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
I doubt there will be a true R direct replacement - if you add ibis and a proper 4k non crop it will essentially be R6. So Canon either cannibalize their R6 sales for a lower priced R camera or they jack up R price to be R6 equivalent, both which do not make sense. I do think a R6 minus viewfinder and single card slot and 4k 30fps only priced around $1899 may be more plausible. Maybe call it the R6Lt or R6p or something.

I am also a bit stumped as to how they will refresh the RP for a mk ii version as it usually doesn't make sense to develop a new sensor just to be used on the lowest end market, so the only one available would be off of the R6 aka 1DX iii sensor, unless if they are willing to stick the R sensor in there and have entry level cam have about 50% more resolution than the R6 at less than half the price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
I am also a bit stumped as to how they will refresh the RP for a mk ii version as it usually doesn't make sense to develop a new sensor just to be used on the lowest end market, so the only one available would be off of the R6 aka 1DX iii sensor, unless if they are willing to stick the R sensor in there and have entry level cam have about 50% more resolution than the R6 at less than half the price.
Using the R6/1DxIII sensor in the RP-II would be a huge improvement. I shot the 1DxIII and RP side-by-side and the 1DxIII pictures had a lot more fine detail and much less noise when taking pictures of dragonflies at dawn, even with less megapixels than the RP.
I hope that using the same sensor across 3 or more models would make it cheaper to produce which would keep the RP-II and the same price as the original RP.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Really? Really? Rebel budget DSLRs are among the most popular and best-selling cameras on the market. Tens of thousands of them continue to be sold to novices who use them *in addition* to their smartphones, due to their much greater versatility, great image quality and affordable prices. And there are plenty of serious amateurs (and probably some pros) who use them as backup bodies to their main camera.

I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised if the new 2022 releases included a couple of DSLRs - a Rebel and possibly even an upgrade to the 90D, which is still an extremely popular camera. There are a huge number of photographers who still much prefer a DLSR to a MILC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Really? Really? Rebel budget DSLRs are among the most popular and best-selling cameras on the market. Tens of thousands of them continue to be sold to novices who use them *in addition* to their smartphones, due to their much greater versatility, great image quality and affordable prices. And there are plenty of serious amateurs (and probably some pros) who use them as backup bodies to their main camera.

I wouldn't be the tiniest bit surprised if the new 2022 releases included a couple of DSLRs - a Rebel and possibly even an upgrade to the 90D, which is still an extremely popular camera. There are a huge number of photographers who still much prefer a DLSR to a MILC.
I completely agree budget DSLR's will be around for a while yet. I'm sure Canon can continue to make small tweaks to make it a new model (but probably not much better than a previous model but at least a new issue date and model number). There is also all this EF glass lying around to be purchased second hand which is still quite excellent, a new DSLR and old EF glass is a potent combination.
I'm not sure though there is a huge number of photographers who prefer a DSLR to a MILC per say. It probably depends on their experience with a MILC. A MILC has alot of advantages but the quality of the view finder is key. Newer ones are quite excellent. Silent shutter and seeing what the exposure actually is are huge advantages with MILC, maybe you have to use a DSLR to see what you are missing.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I'm not sure though there is a huge number of photographers who prefer a DSLR to a MILC per say. It probably depends on their experience with a MILC. A MILC has alot of advantages but the quality of the view finder is key. Newer ones are quite excellent. Silent shutter and seeing what the exposure actually is are huge advantages with MILC, maybe you have to use a DSLR to see what you are missing.
Speaking just for myself, I've owned many DSLRs and the viewfinders on many of the APS-C modes have been abysmal, like looking at a dark window at the end of a tunnel. But the same can be said of the EVFs in many budget MILCs - often small, coarse, contrasty and generally unpleasant. I actually think that the "WYSIWYG" aspects of EVFs is overrated. For me, the real advantages of MILCs lie in the faster and more accurate AF and tracking systems.

Currently I have a 5DMkiv and an R5. Although the R5 has many advantages over the DSLR (quieter, lighter, faster, better sensor, more precise AF etc), I still very much prefer the optical viewfinder on my 5DMkiv. I love the fact that the viewfinder works the same way as my own eyes - seeing light levels as they exist in reality. To me it's a bit like comparing the experience of looking through a window, to looking at a TV screen. I also love the way that an optical viewfinder is always "on" - I can raise the camera to my eye and it's instantly available, whereas with even the best MILCs there is a brief time lag before the EVF springs into life.

The truth is that each type of camera has a different "feel", and while most people nowadays seem to prefer an EVF, there are many who just feel much more comfortable with an optical viewfinder. It's also equally true that the viewfinder experience with either DSLR or MILC varies considerably according to how much you spend - Rebel viewfinders are pretty awful compared e.g. to those on a 5DMkiv or 1DXiii.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Higher quality evf is what sold me on my R6. Using an Oly m43 Pen F was a cute but all in all horrid experience, next up was the M5 which had a good ergonomic feel and pleasant menu system albeit Powershot based not EOS style. However the evf still wasn't matured enough at that point for me to leave my 5D3. The R6 is nearly perfect and the sensor blows my mind as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0