24-70 IS ii v 70-200 IS ii

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. Im relatively new to the world of photography compared with what appears to be a plethora of experience here. I guess therefore i categorise myself as a hobbyist that merely dreams of being able to enter the realms of engaging in right brain work like this as a full time experience one day.

I currently own a 5D Mk3, 50 1.4, 24-70L 2.8. I shoot anything of visual interest - i cant really say what my preference is. My question is whether it is worth selling my 24-70 to upgrade to mk2 or whether i get the same bang for my buck with the extra reach of the 70-200. My inclination is to the latter - mainly because of the reach, although the weight has been mentioned as being prohibitive (particularly as a travel lens). But i struggle to understand how 860g versus 1500g can really come into the equation??

Your highly valued opinions would be much appreciated.

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Dreamer said:
Hi all. Im relatively new to the world of photography compared with what appears to be a plethora of experience here. I guess therefore i categorise myself as a hobbyist that merely dreams of being able to enter the realms of engaging in right brain work like this as a full time experience one day.

I currently own a 5D Mk3, 50 1.4, 24-70L 2.8. I shoot anything of visual interest - i cant really say what my preference is. My question is whether it is worth selling my 24-70 to upgrade to mk2 or whether i get the same bang for my buck with the extra reach of the 70-200. My inclination is to the latter - mainly because of the reach, although the weight has been mentioned as being prohibitive (particularly as a travel lens). But i struggle to understand how 860g versus 1500g can really come into the equation??

Your highly valued opinions would be much appreciated.

Does your current 24-70 give you adequate results?
Do you need a longer lens?

THen get the 70-200. First cover all the bases then upgrade

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Dreamer said:
why do some maintain the 24-70 given the cost?
24-70mm is generally the most used focal length (general purpose focal range) for most people ... but that may not hold true for some people ... but majority of my photos are usually made with that focal length ... I suppose that is the reason why "some maintain the 24-70". Having said that in your case, since you already have the 24-70, and as others have already recommended, the obvious choice is to get the 70-200mm ... unless if you would like make a lot of ultra wide angle images, in which case you would want to get the 16-35 L or the 17-40 L.

Dreamer said:
although the weight has been mentioned as being prohibitive (particularly as a travel lens). i struggle to understand how 860g versus 1500g can really come into the equation??
If you are calculating 860gms vs 1500gms, it does not sound like much, but you have to remember that you also have to carry your camera (5D MK III) that weighs 860gms (body only, without battery) ... on your travels you obviously would not carry only the 70-200mm lens, you would also pack in your 24-70mm lens + a bag + spare batteries, maybe a filter or two and what not ... when you add all that up you are talking about carrying at least 3500gms (maybe even 4000gms all day) ... now I don't know about the weight being "prohibitive" but carrying 3500gms - 4000gms all day (not counting any other items such as your iPhone, iPad, water bottle, snack etc) does not contribute to a lot of fun especially during your travels. Having said that I did carry my 24-105 f/4 L IS & 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II during my vacation to UK, I carried the combo for 2 days and gave up (due to the added weight), from the 3rd day onwards I only carried the 24-105 for the rest of the holidays.

Upvote 0
I rented the 70-200 IS II this weekend and loved the Lens. I have use the 24-70 2.8 I and it was a nice lens. I haven't been so impressed with a lens in a long time. I am also a hobbyist and read a lot about heavy the 70-200 was but never had used it. When I got it, my first thought was this isn't bad. I left it on my camera for the whole weekend expect to get into an MLS game. Then i got in and put it back on. It is a bit heavy too hang mounted around your neck for a long time.
I am dreaming about that lens now.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
You might also consider a Tamron SP24-70 f/2.8 VC. It's sharper than the Canon mk l and it's image stabilization (VC) is as good as Canon's latest IS. At only $1300 it's a serious bargain, much like the Sigma 35. With the money you save, you could pick up a 70-200 f/4L IS to round out your arsenal. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
brad-man said:
You might also consider a Tamron SP24-70 f/2.8 VC. It's sharper than the Canon mk l
I have the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC and I agree that it is a good choice but it is definitely not sharper than the 24-70 f/2.8 MK I ... if VC/IS is not important to you, it is better to get the 24-70 f/2.8 MK I (if you can find one).

Upvote 0
If your on a budget, you might want to go for the 200mm F/2.8 L. It is light and autofocuses very quickly, I just got mine yesterday and already have fallen in love with it. It is light weight so good for traveling and very very sharp.
Here are some shots I got with mine, they are cropped in slightly and some of them were shot through window glass so it is very impressive how sharp they are.

8576627874_67a20f1938_o.jpg

8575530253_c50af1bdd8_o.jpg

8575530537_2eaae0fae8_o.jpg

Edit
Also here is a shot of a brick wall wide open, you know, for if your interested in that kind of stuff

8575584199_cbf82009fa_o.jpg

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Andy_Hodapp said:
If your on a budget, you might want to go for the 200mm F/2.8 L. It is light and autofocuses very quickly, I just got mine yesterday and already have fallen in love with it. It is light weight so good for traveling and very very sharp.
Here are some shots I got with mine, they are cropped in slightly and some of them were shot through window glass so it is very impressive how sharp they are.
8575530253_c50af1bdd8_o.jpg
Like this second image ... very nice, beautiful colors. That looks like one tack sharp lens Congratulations on your purchase ... since 2009 I've considered getting the 200 f/2.8 L on several occasions but somehow never made up my mind and for better or worse I finally ended up buying the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II in 2010, but I still look at the 200 L prime with envy.

Upvote 0
I was in the same boat five months ago. Already owned the 24-70mm f/2.8L, and was trying to decide between upgrading to the mark 2, or buy a 70-200mm f/2.8L II. I didn't have enough capital for both, and eventually decided to go with the versatility of having both lenses over just the 24-70ii. Hard to take pictures between 70 and 200mm when you don't have a lens in that range. :)

That being said, I currently have my 24-70mm mk1 on craigslist and hope someone bites before this current rebate expires. I'm really hoping to pick up the mark 2 before the end of the month.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.