Is my RF 28-70 broken?

Hey there,

recently I go the 28-70 f2 for my R5 and I‘ve been really happy with it - so far.

Suddenly it seems to have real trouble focusing, mostly when it‘s close to or at 70mm. It makes a sound as if the motors were stuck. It‘s two months old, never dropped it or anything. Did anyone experience similar issues?
I tested the R5 with my Art 50mm, which is focusing incredibly fast and super accurate. So it has to be the lens. I‘m not sure if there might be a link to the r5 firmware update to 1.9, but I don‘t think that’s related to it. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find an earlier version to load onto the camera.

Anyway, I uploaded a video so you can hear the sound and see the behavior. The camera seems to recognise the face but is unable to focus.

Cheers,
Markus

Edit: I just switched to manual focus and it doesn’t do anything if I rotate the focus ring. So it definitely is broken.

Last edited:

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
+1 Send the lens in for a warranty repair.

I usually send items to be repaired into through a local camera store so then Canon ships the lens back to them. I can then drop by the store and pickup the lens at my convenience.

I realize that depending on where you live this may not be an option, but just thought I would give some advice.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0