42MP Sony sensor released in another camera... **and it's not a Nikon**

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
3kramd5 said:
The amplified VF for dark shooting is difficult since it gets so noisy (at least with mine), but it makes possible what I could not do with OVF.

That's the key bit. I've shot some concerts where AF confirmation itself was hard on my 5D3, but even when it did confirm I had no idea what it actually locked onto. I strongly prefer an OVF, but this is one instance where an amplified EVF excels (noisy or not).

- A

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
ahsanford said:
ChristopherMarkPerez said:
Wow! Now _there's_ an Image Making Machine!!

I hope the trolls will not try to convince us that it can't meet their expectations since it has the wrong nameplate, or somesuch silliness.

It's a lot of high-end tech, but a fixed lens camera for $3,295? That's a niche product, regardless of whatever IQ it can reel in.

- A

100% agree. I struggle with the idea of an X100T because it is a fixed lens system that will go out of date someday and that's just over a grand. But $3k+ is at a whole other level.

Looks pretty stunning though. 35mm full frame in the small of a package, with an EVF? If money were no object I'd say sign me up.

Upvote 0
Re: 42MP Sony fixed lens rig --> 1/2000 flash sync speed!

Sporgon said:
With HSS in speedlites I haven't given flash sync speed a thought for years.
+1. Works fine for me.

ahsanford said:
Does an in-lens shutter mean it's like a leaf shutter for MF lenses? Is that how they're pulling this off?
I'm assuming that's the case.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ahsanford said:
Dylan777 said:
There is almost no point getting into mirrorless if they keep increase the body size.

For you, you mean. That's not a categorical statement.

Many folks welcome mirrorless for other reasons -- EVFs like heads-up displays with added info (like real-time histo, focus-peaking, etc.), amplified EVF for low-light, no mirror-slap, wider spread of AF points, less mechanical components that could wear out or fail, etc.

I happen to agree with you -- just playing Devil's Advocate for those who compare their A7 rigs head-to-head against the D8X0 and 5D rigs.

- A

The features you mentioned are great additional benefits in mirrorless. However, let's not forget the why the mirrorless was introduced, the core fundamental of mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
3kramd5 said:
Dylan777 said:
There is almost no point getting into mirrorless if they keep increase the body size.

I'd actually prefer my mirrorless be a little bigger (larger grip, larger batteries).

ahsanford mentioned some of the advantages which I'll echo: silent shutter, practically limitless possibilities for what to display in the VF, manual focus magnification in the VF, the ability to use sonnar-type wide angle lenses etc.

The amplified VF for dark shooting is difficult since it gets so noisy (at least with mine), but it makes possible what I could not do with OVF.

etc.

As owner of RX1, a7, a7r, a7s and a7rii I'm well aware the features you mentioned. Latest A7 bodies have increased in size and weight. I didn't see the battery size or life increased much.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Luds34 said:
ahsanford said:
It's a lot of high-end tech, but a fixed lens camera for $3,295? That's a niche product, regardless of whatever IQ it can reel in.

100% agree. I struggle with the idea of an X100T because it is a fixed lens system that will go out of date someday and that's just over a grand. But $3k+ is at a whole other level...

Agreed. Clearly this is a camera aimed squarely at the top 1% of earners. That's not me, nor will it ever be. But, then, if I were going for a fixed lens camera, a 35mm lens would not be the one I'd choose.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Dylan777 said:
As owner of RX1, a7, a7r, a7s and a7rii I'm well aware the features you mentioned. Latest A7 bodies have increased in size and weight. I didn't see the battery size or life increased much.

Yah, at all. It's the same battery, sadly. I'm just replying to your post, the direct implication of which is that the overwhelming (since without it there is "no point" to getting one) advantage of mirrorless is decreased size relative to an equivalent SLR, and I disagree. I don't think smaller camera bodies are necessarily advantageous or desirable. But it's a personal call.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
3kramd5 said:
Dylan777 said:

Yah, at all. It's the same battery, sadly. I'm just replying to your post, the direct implication of which is that the overwhelming (since without it there is "no point" to getting one) advantage of mirrorless is decreased size relative to an equivalent SLR, and I disagree. I don't think smaller camera bodies are necessarily advantageous or desirable. But it's a personal call.

Agree.

Another nice feature from the RX1 is aperture ring. For some reason, I always enjoy changing the apertures at lens location.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
100% agree. I struggle with the idea of an X100T because it is a fixed lens system that will go out of date someday and that's just over a grand. But $3k+ is at a whole other level.
One advantage of the Fuji is that you can purchase conversion lenses that converts the 35mm fixed lens to a 28mm (WCL-X100) or 50mm (TCL-X100) with no loss of aperture. You can get very clean used copies of the converter lenses on ebay for about $200 USD. I don't know well Sony's version of HSS works, but the built-in ND filter and leaf shutter are nice touches on my X100S.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

pwp said:
Sporgon said:
With HSS in speedlites I haven't given flash sync speed a thought for years.
Speedlight HSS is fantastic and frequently saves the day for me, but the power-loss is obviously significant.
Wouldn't a true 1/2000 flash sync be totally useful?

-pw

I don't think it would be 'totally useful' to me. I've been able to forget about power loss: it your talking about high sync speeds your talking about bright ambient and so flash for fill. However I do use the largest Canon Speedlites.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
ahsanford said:
Dylan777 said:
This is what mirrorless body style should be - not a7 II , not a7r II and not a7s II.

Agree, but it depends on what you want:

For those who see mirrorless as a chance to do everything an SLR can, you get an A7.

For those who see mirrorless as a chance to get FF IQ in a tiny camera, you get this.

- A

I do not see any issues holding a7, a7r and a7s body style. If Sony has added pop-up EVF to it, I think it even better.

New a7 bodies are getting bigger and heavier. Both shutter and aperture dials are tiny and feel cheap. There is almost no point getting into mirrorless if they keep increase the body size.

If the future is truly mirrorless as some say (let's wait and see but anyway), then some of us will need one in a DSLR-sized body for the ergonomics with big lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012

A leaf shutter is absolutely superior to HSS.

The power loss from HSS is significant and really makes a difference in the usual situation where it is needed: bright sun.
Yesterday I photographed an event with my 5DmkIIIs and a Panasonic FZ1000.
In bright sun the power of my 580EXII dropped off rapidly after about 6ft. I was able to shoot at the same distance with 1/8 power on the FZ1000 because I could shoot at 1/500 at f6.3. Later I was able to shoot group at about 25 feet that were under a tent and perfectly balance exposure with 1/2 power.

At no time was I apprehensive about the flash to fill the scene at any distance and at even smaller apertures. Moreover I was able to shoot at very high frame rates when the subject was closer as the power setting was so low.

So, yes HSS works. But no, it is no substitute for the huge flexibility of a leaf shutter. And I don't even want to discuss the miserable kludge of ND filters.

Upvote 0