5DIII AF Point Issue (addendum..resolution)

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
OK....I noticed this "issue" when testing my Sigma Art Lens (I won't go there right now..this is a totally different issue related to my 5DIII body only), and wondered if anyone else is experiencing this phenomenon. I experience the phenomenon with both my Sigma and my Canon L lenses, so I believe it is a camera-body issue not a lens issue.

I have AF Point Display enabled in the Playback menu on my 5DIII. So when I focus on something with a particular focus point, the red focus point square will show when I view the image in playback mode. (when you zoom the image the FP disappears). See second image below to enable the feature on your camera.
So my playback focus points do not correlate with my shooting experience. On playback my focus points are ALWAYS shifted to the right from where the FP was in my VF at time of shutter actuation. I would say about 1/2 to 3/4 of a focus point shift to the right (see image below). This is a consistent shift. No variation.
When I shot the image below (don't laugh...I could only find a stuffed stationary model for the shoot!!! LOL! with bad lighting I might add..very cloudy here today), the FP is bullseyed on the eye. The eye was directly in the center of the FP box when shot.

Furthermore, when I use the "Show Focus Point" Plug-In for LR (actually this is where I noticed the phenomenon as I can view my images at 100% in LR and see where my focus point was when I shot the image), they are shifted exactly the same. I also get the same exact results in Canon DPP (latest version).
I also have to thank Dustin Abbott for mentioning the LR plug-in in a recent lens review he did. It is a helpful little tool! I never noticed the shift as the FP are so small on the back LCD as my eyes are old an struggling. (Like the rest of me! ::))

So I guess I wanted to open a discussion to see if anyone else is having this phenomenon....and what might be causing it. ..and of course I am wondering ...when I focus the camera are my focus points in the VF "lying" to me. Are the real points on the sensor actually all shifted slightly to the left????
Its a can of worms!!!!!!

Under my "model" I posted a pic of the menu screen where you enable the Focus Point to be seen in the playback image to help anyone set it who does not have it activated. (Its a helpful tool in the field!).

It doesn't make my camera useless....but it is a concern.

Attachments

• Focus-Point-Shift.jpg
    Focus-Point-Shift.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 233
  • _C200001.jpg
    _C200001.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 215

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Re: 5DIII AF Point Issue

lintoni said:
I've not noticed it with my 5D3, but will try to check tomorrow.

Looking at your image above, the complete focus array appears to be shifted to the right. DPP will show AF points, so you could double check with that to see if it's a problem with the Lightroom plugin.

As mentioned in my post, I get the same shift in the Canon DPP (latest version)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

infared said:
neuroanatomist said:
This has been discussed previously - the transmissive LCD is apparently misaligned. The camera/computer just put the points up on a centered grid, the points in the VF are off.

Is that native to my camera or are all the bodies like that? Is there a fix?

It shouldn't be that way, and it needs to go to Canon to be fixed. Hopefully under warranty.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012

infared said:
lintoni said:
I've not noticed it with my 5D3, but will try to check tomorrow.

Looking at your image above, the complete focus array appears to be shifted to the right. DPP will show AF points, so you could double check with that to see if it's a problem with the Lightroom plugin.

As mentioned in my post, I get the same shift in the Canon DPP (latest version)
Apologies, missed that. Just checked my 5D3, and mine appears centered, so... ah, Neuro's just answered.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Viggo said:
Hmm, that's concerning news. Could it also be 1dx issue?

*edit* I just tried aiming at something I could easily see a shift and activated the show AF point and it's a little above where I aimed.. Can this explain why I always hit the eyebrow no matter how much I use the spot AF center in the eyes..?

Mine is dead on.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

Man, I can't catch a break... I use my 1dx very carefully, yet I have had so many issues and problems that I'm at the point where I want to throw it to the wall and be effin done with it.... I thought the idea with 1-series is to always be able to trust them. It's not like it's old and o should expect it... God d@mn it...

Thanks for the info Neuro, at least I know about this.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
infared said:
neuroanatomist said:
This has been discussed previously - the transmissive LCD is apparently misaligned. The camera/computer just put the points up on a centered grid, the points in the VF are off.

Is that native to my camera or are all the bodies like that? Is there a fix?

It shouldn't be that way, and it needs to go to Canon to be fixed. Hopefully under warranty.

Thanks Neuro...thanks for the info. No.... :( I am not under warrantee...I was one of the fools who had to have the camera when it was released and paid $3500 for the body, too!!! :eek: I bought my body in 2012.
I just booked a repair with Canon Services....the facility is 23 miles from my house...so I am going to call them Monday and see if I can drop it off. I REALLY don't want to send it out into the middle of all the Christmas shipping.
Since you know EVERYTHING else, do you have any idea what it will cost to do the repair????
Thanks for all the info.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

@ Viggo – that sucks. :'( Add it to your list of things to check when you get your 1D X MkII. ;)

@ infared – sorry, no idea. Taking it in may have another benefit, I recall from another thread the poster had difficulty getting Canon Service to understand the problem (IIRC, they shipped it back as 'no problem found'), so explaining it in person may help.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
@ Viggo – that sucks. :'( Add it to your list of things to check when you get your 1D X MkII. ;)

@ infared – sorry, no idea. Taking it in may have another benefit, I recall from another thread the poster had difficulty getting Canon Service to understand the problem (IIRC, they shipped it back as 'no problem found'), so explaining it in person may help.

I will bring pictures, too. ...and pray that I get a good tech!!
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

I just did a test and mine appears off a bit as well. However, I did a test where I focused on the extreme top-left corner of a square and fired 3 times. Each time it locked focus properly on the corner of the square and NOT on the wall behind it. When I looked at the playback, the highlighted area was on the wall, not on the square. So I think this may be a playback issue, NOT a focus issue.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Jeremy said:
I just did a test and mine appears off a bit as well. However, I did a test where I focused on the extreme top-left corner of a square and fired 3 times. Each time it locked focus properly on the corner of the square and NOT on the wall behind it. When I looked at the playback, the highlighted area was on the wall, not on the square. So I think this may be a playback issue, NOT a focus issue.

It's a misalignment issue. But...misalignment of what? Ideally, the transmissive LCD, the AF sensor, and the image sensor should all be aligned. If the transmissive LCD and AF sensor are in sync but the image sensor isn't, focus point placement for the shot will be correct but the AF point playback display will be off. If the AF sensor and image sensor are in sync but the transmissive LCD isn't, both focus point placement for the shot and the playback display will be off.

I expect careful testing could determine which was off. It's worth noting that the actual area of the AF point on the AF sensor is larger than the little box in the viewfinder. Spot AF uses a smaller area of the AF point, but even that is slightly larger than the box in the VF (the main box, not the smaller inset box that indicates Spot AF).

Upvote 0