600 or not to 600

Hello all, New user here, but I have definitely benefited from all the great posts on the forum. So I have saved up enough to buy the "rf 600 f4 " my only concern , canon is releasing so many new lens options, and rumours of new teleconverters. the question is would you wait ? or bite the bullet and assume this is as good as it gets ? any and all info/opinions are welcomed

Jul 21, 2010
The usual advice is: if you need it now then buy it now, if you don’t need it now then wait because something better will come along in the future. Trite, but true.

It’s a bit more complicated here because the RF 600/4 is essentially the EF 600/4 III from 2018 with an adapter bolted on. That means the optical design is already 5 years into the time for a potential update, and because the lens was not designed for RF it lacks a control ring.

Seems very likely there will be a 200-500/4 soon. Is 500mm long enough? Based on the patent the lens will be physically as long as the RF 600/4, so you’re comparing the flexibility of a zoom for 100mm of focal length.

Personally, I use my EF 600/4 II for birds, typically with the 1.4x. For me, a 200-500/4 would not be long enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I have never owned the 600 mm f4 lens, but have owned the 500 mm f4 in the past. I have always found the 500 mm f4 easier to hand hold due to the smaller diameter.

What subjects do you plan on photographing with this lens? For birds I would go with the 600 mm f4 because for birds one rarely has too much focal length. However, if this lens is going to be used for general wildlife including birds the zoom may be more flexible.

I returned from a trip to Alaska where I photographed brown bears, eagles, sea otters, and puffins. 95+% of my photos were taken with the RF100-300 mm f2.8 with 2X extender (200-600 mm focal range). There were circumstances where a bit more reach would have been useful and hence a 200-500 mm with 1.4x TC providing a 280-700 mm focal range is ideal for me. Also if you are using a higher MP body such as the R5 you can crop in a bit more as well.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Agreed re the likely upcoming RF200-500 mm, which would be in your desired range with a 1.4x TC.

The other point is that there is a current rumour (There will be “a lot” of new RF mount lenses from Canon between now and March 2024) suggesting multiple lens announcements / releases over the next 6 months. Who knows if this sort of long prime will be included, but if you can potentially wait until early next year, your options might become clearer.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The usual advice is: if you need it now then buy it now, if you don’t need it now then wait because something better will come along in the future. Trite, but true.

It’s a bit more complicated here because the RF 600/4 is essentially the EF 600/4 III from 2018 with an adapter bolted on. That means the optical design is already 5 years into the time for a potential update, and because the lens was not designed for RF it lacks a control ring.

Seems very likely there will be a 200-500/4 soon. Is 500mm long enough? Based on the patent the lens will be physically as long as the RF 600/4, so you’re comparing the flexibility of a zoom for 100mm of focal length.

Personally, I use my EF 600/4 II for birds, typically with the 1.4x. For me, a 200-500/4 would not be long enough.

Great Questions. So immediate use is not of concern. I can wait and see how the tech for the rf system evolves. I currently use the rf 100-500 . Its a great lens better than I can shoot . I seem to really struggle with the tele converters . Pics not so sharp. I found best results no converter and crop. Birds are my primary goal.

Upvote 0

Great info.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hello all, New user here, but I have definitely benefited from all the great posts on the forum. So I have saved up enough to buy the "rf 600 f4 " my only concern , canon is releasing so many new lens options, and rumours of new teleconverters. the question is would you wait ? or bite the bullet and assume this is as good as it gets ? any and all info/opinions are welcomed
+1 to @neuroanatomist's advice. What body are you using and what do you photo?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Great Questions. So immediate use is not of concern. I can wait and see how the tech for the rf system evolves. I currently use the rf 100-500 . Its a great lens better than I can shoot . I seem to really struggle with the tele converters . Pics not so sharp. I found best results no converter and crop. Birds are my primary goal.
The other thing to consider (and budget for) with a 600/4 is support. It’s not a light lens. Personally, I can shoot handheld with mine, and the MkIII/RF version is a bit lighter. But by ‘shoot handheld’ I mean walking with it carried on a BlackRapid lefty strap and raised for an occasional shot, as I do when shooting passerines.

If I’m going to be standing in one place for any length of time, I use a monopod with a tilt head (I carry that on a belt when hiking). If I’m going to be standing in one place for a long period of time, such as when shooting raptors in winter, I use a tripod with a gimbal head (you don’t want to use a ballhead with a supertele lens).

You’re probably aware of this, but with tripods and related items, the 2/3 rule applies: light, stable, and INexpensive…you can only have up to two of those three. For a good quality tripod/gimbal setup, e.g., Gitzo legs and a Wimberly gimbal, you can expect to spend north of $1500. My Really Right Stuff setup (3-series legs, leveling base, side gimbal, monopod and tilt head) was around $3000, plus an extra $500 for a BH-55 ballhead I can easily swap for the gimbal for regular lenses.

Upvote 0
The other thing to consider (and budget for) with a 600/4 is support. It’s not a light lens. Personally, I can shoot handheld with mine, and the MkIII/RF version is a bit lighter. But by ‘shoot handheld’ I mean walking with it carried on a BlackRapid lefty strap and raised for an occasional shot, as I do when shooting passerines.

If I’m going to be standing in one place for any length of time, I use a monopod with a tilt head (I carry that on a belt when hiking). If I’m going to be standing in one place for a long period of time, such as when shooting raptors in winter, I use a tripod with a gimbal head (you don’t want to use a ballhead with a supertele lens).

You’re probably aware of this, but with tripods and related items, the 2/3 rule applies: light, stable, and expensive…you can only have up to two of those three. For a good quality tripod/gimbal setup, e.g., Gitzo legs and a Wimberly gimbal, you can expect to spend north of $1500. My Really Right Stuff setup (3-series legs, leveling base, side gimbal, monopod and tilt head) was around $3000, plus an extra $500 for a BH-55 ballhead I can easily swap for the gimbal for regular lenses.
Thank You Neuro, some very helpful info. I would definitely need to upgrade my tripod system. I appreciate the feedback.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Personally, I can shoot handheld with mine, and the MkIII/RF version is a bit lighter. But by ‘shoot handheld’ I mean walking with it carried on a BlackRapid lefty strap and raised for an occasional shot, as I do when shooting passerines.
I'm pleased you clarified that. I had thought that you were like the guy holding the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8.

Sigma.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0